The decline of Q magazine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tarpt40, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

"from here we race hell-for-leather down Tuneless Wank Boulevard"

I had to laugh at that. Part of me misses splenetic reviews like that, part of me isn't surprised bands embraced the internet to kill the inkies' power and thus avoid said reviews!

LivingForever and ToneLa like this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Mr Harper has long been a great writer. I've not always agreed with his opinions, but at least you can tell his views are his own. Eminently readable too.

It's Felix likes this.
  3. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

I recall buying a CD-ROM that contains reviews from Q and Mojo. Does anyone remember that?

I may still have it, although I don't have any idea where I should begin my search.

:wave:

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well it's a good album :).

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The decline of Mojo magazine?

6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Mojo is still great, if you ask me. I’ve been reading it from the beginning in 1993. My only complaint would be the same old warhorses on the cover but there’s really no financially sustainable alternative.

Imagine70 likes this.
  7. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I think the rating that went with 5 stars at the time was masterpiece....so even if you think it's good it still proves my point. For me Simple Minds had lost the plot by then....

8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I had CD-ROM’s of old issues of Record Mirror and NME from a guy on eBay. Only went up to 1978, though. He did them by artist. He’s disappeared now and I can’t find anyone else who does anything similar unfortunately..

ashlee5 likes this.
  9. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Really it's surprising that the monthlies have kept going so long. I wonder what will happen to them in the next ten years or so as more of their big names die off.

10. alexpop

I gave up when Gomez got the cover of the December issue.

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It was the album that got me into the band and I listened relentlessly. The not cool memo started circulating in the 90s and I never got it :).
    With hindsight we know the band was near imploding, but it wasn't obvious then.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  12. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Microsoft Music Central! I remember buying that disc and thinking, the future has arrived. In hindsight, it should have been obvious that the medium would be squashed by the web and supplanted by primary source material a la the Neil Young Archive.

ashlee5 likes this.
  13. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Yes, this is the one! Thanks. It is gonna be much easier to see if I still have it.

:wave:

14. Graham

Graham Senior Member

What, so you've not read it since 1998?!!

15. alexpop

Well i think the subscription ran for another year.
    Sold 5 years worth for a nice sum.

16. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

I don't agree with his musical taste but that review is hilarious! I've remembered the "radiohead recording with clowns" comments since I originally read it.

Like it or not... It's proper writing, a real opinion, not clickbait, not kowtowing to anything else.

DTK likes this.
  17. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Holograms. It's the future.

I'm only half joking too, with Roy Orbison touring this year despite the handicap of being dead for 30 years I seriously think this will grow in the future, there's an audience there. Like going to see a tribute band but with a more authentic looking frontman. Heard ABBA are touring as holograms this year as well?!

18. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

It was obvious if you had followed heir career and watched a band try to do things they couldn't do....this was the apex of their self-importance and patronising world view.....but anyway if you enjoy then enjoy.

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That's a personal opinion on the band's involvement in politics, not the music, that they suffered for a long time. Strange that the far more annoying and patronising Bono and his
    cohorts escaped ire. Oh yeah, they did the fake Berlin thing; shrewd.

20. alexpop

Zigzag was good.
    Started as hippie mag, then punk mag.

21. Blender was pretty good overall, even if they did feature too many of those lo-talent pop tarts who would pose for provocative cover photos. That Maxim influence!

22. richarm

richarm Senior Member

In 1989 Q got it right with 5 stars for Blue Nile's Hats.

23. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

But that's the problem isn't it Simple Minds decided they wanted to be U2 and weren't very good at it. There's a world of difference as well with U2 taking on the politics of their own doorstep with SBS and the very brave rant on Rattle And Hum and the hypocritical stance of SM who would bore us with the inane Belfast Child whilst practising their own bigotry internally and externally around the same cultural/religious divide. Simple Minds were at their best when they were being a pretty good post-punk Electronic fused band but no good really at being a U2 style rock band....Bono has his faults and U2 haven't made a truly great record in years but Simple Minds are a different type of fake altogether you only need to hear Jim Kerr's accent to know that.

JPJs Bass Guitar likes this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That borders on personal hate, and I certainly have no comment on that, except Bono is a tosser.

Imagine70 and carlwm like this.
  25. alexpop

Bono?
    Liam Gallagher's not a fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.