The Defenders 1960s TV Show comes to DVD - 1st season 32 episodes in July

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Sweet, great show! Shout Factory rocks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] The Best Dramatic Program of the 1960s, April 7, 2016
    By
    Anthony Caton

This review is from: The Defenders: Season One (DVD)
    I am stunned. Shout! has announced that The Defenders (CBS-TV, 1961-65) Season 1 will be released this July. All 32 premier season episodes, featuring E.G Marshall and Robert Reed as the Preston father and son defense team, will be included in this reasonably priced set. The Defenders was nominated for 22 (!) Emmy Awards during it's run, winning best dramatic program in its first three seasons.

First season guest stars, and I assure you I am not kidding, include: Jack Klugman, Gene Hackman, William Shatner, Kermit Murdock, Clu Gulager, Harry Towns, Fritz Weaver, Godfrey Cambridge, Sam Wanamaker, Frank Gorshin, Pat Hingle, Marian Seldes, Simon Oakland, Joan Hackett, Ed Binns, Alfred Ryder, Robert Duvall, Robert Loggia, Martin Sheen, J.D. Cannon, Elizabeth Ashley, Kent Smith, Edward Andrews, Martin Balsam, Sam Jaffe, Murray Hamilton, Alexander Scourby, Andrew Prine, William Daniels, Michael Strong, Chester Morris, Warren Stevens, Edgar Stehli, Arthur Hill, Salome Jens, Robert Webber, Gene Wilder, Roscoe Lee Browne, James Earl Jones, Vincent Gardenia, and Harold J. Stone. Please place an order for this Reginald Rose (12 Angry Men) masterpiece. If sales are strong, then possibly all four seasons will be released. Once I receive my copy, I will return with a review of the set's aesthetics. Thank you for taking the time to read my initial posting.

Great article on the Defenders:
    The Defenders was the great drama of the ’60s, but good luck seeing it today »

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Clark V Kauffman and JamieC like this.
  2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Yup, Mike Brady before he was Mike Brady.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  3. Dr. Pepper

He was on the Brady Bunch for 100 shows and he was on the Defenders for 132 episodes.

4. Dr. Pepper

From everything I've read in Robert Reed, he'd rather be remembered for his work on The Defenders!

5. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Wow great news, first Lou Grant and now The Defenders, maybe the worm is turning.

6. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Lou Grant on DVD??!! I have only seen it on hulu.

7. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Scopitone likes this.
  8. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm amazed that CBS/Viacom got it together to get this remastered. Here's the opening theme to the show, which I remember vividly from the early 1960s (though I never saw the show in reruns):

This was a very fine show that I can remember being acclaimed at the time, taking on very serious issues and making a lot of noise about morality problems in society. I'm amazed CBS kept it on for 4 years, all the way to 1965.

10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I've seen one episode, about a Neo-Nazi college student whose free speech rights are defended by a Jewish professor. I found it extremely preachy, if not quite as irritating as Law & Order.

There are two episodes I would like to see. One is the blacklist episode for which Jack Klugman won an Emmy. The other, coincidentally, also concerns a Neo-Nazi, played by Dennis Hopper. I'd like to see this one because Hopper claimed (in an interview with Bob Costas) that Charles Manson said he watched the episode and based some of his own courtroom antics on things Hopper's character did while he was on trial.

11. Dr. Pepper

I have about 20 episodes that I can share from my Dropbox account. I'll start posting some.

12. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Now how about the rest of Knots Landing? Only seasons 1 and 2 are available.

13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I may pick this up soon. Thanks for sharing the news and comments on set.

14. Dr. Pepper

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think for 1961-1965, it wasn't considered too preachy -- it was actually fairly hip and dramatic. Things sometimes have a habit of looking worse from the distance of 50 years.

16. Dr. Pepper

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have this show on a few PD DVDs...this is pretty cool as I enjoy the show very much!

18. Dr. Pepper

19. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Liked this show as a kid, very cool.

20. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Do you know if this series, "The Defenders", is going to be a Walmart exclusive as well?

21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It is not. It's available through Amazon and many other retailers.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

I already have it pre-ordered from Amazon.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

Is anyone else getting this? Amazon says it's in the mail.

24. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

yup. mine should be here tomorrow

25. Dr. Pepper

Wow! Put in the first dvd and started watching. In that first episode is a very young Gene Hackman and Jack Klugman! Jack Klugman gets into a shouting match with Robert Reed and neither one will back down, nice! This is going to be fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.