The Definitive Single Versions Part 1 (1958-1969)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Relax everyone.

I SHOULD have said that the unique mix of "Hello I Love You" was the mono mix. Serviced to radio only.

The 45 consumer single used the stereo LP mix.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Pat,

Any others besides Psychotic Reaction? I know I have what sounds like a Stereo version, to my ears, on both LP and CD. Please explain further?

Bob

:)

3. Steve Hoffman

Psychotic Reaction is mono and fake stereo. The fake stereo version has some kind of O/D on it.

The actual hit version was mono only.

:)

4. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Well, I was fooled then. Sure sounds like Stereo to me, perhaps it was the overdubs that tricked me. Regardless, it is the Mono that I am promoting anyway.

Thanks Steve and Pat!

Bob :)

5. Bob Lovely

Pat,

The first Mono/Stereo compatible 45 that I purchased was She's Looking Good by Wilson Pickett. I certainly do not know if it was "first in line" but, it was the first one that I was exposed too...very narrow Stereo playback on that one.

If there any other discrepencies in my list(s), please let me know, as I aim to be accurate. I simply, beg forgiveness, on any errors because I went through a lot of music in just three nights after putting in long days at work.

I see this as a collaborative venture!

6. Steve Hoffman

Bob, you're doing a great job. Don't let our little bitching get you down. It's nothing personal!

By the way, as far as I know, the VERY FIRST official compat. stereo 45 RPM release was "Alone Again Or" by Love.

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Bob, again, this thread is amazing!!! I also listened to the cocktail lounge mix cd tonight and it was amazing. I kept pouring too much wine because it was that good! Tomorrow (when I'm not tipsy) I'll post a review.

Todd

8. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Bob,

I totally agree with Steve. You're doing a GREAT job!!!

My "quirks" come from being an avid stereo collector. I really can't refute any of your choices on Mono single superiority, though I STILL really like MY stereo versions!

I was ONLY commenting on some of your picks when there was NO real stereo version. Of course, the MONO wins in THOSE cases! I hate fake stereo!

I THINK (I'm saying think, in THIS case!) that In The Midnight Hour by Wilson Pickett IS TRUE STEREO...but Oh-so-poorly done! That drum sound appears to be discrete (barely).

I wonder if Steve would care to comment on THIS?!

Bob, keep it going...You're doin' FINE! :D

9. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Bob is blowin' me away!! :) :) :)

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

"In The Midnight Hour" was mono. Anything else is rechannelled.

11. Bob Lovely

Pat, Steve & Friends,

Thanks! I appreciate all the support. Pat are you talking about the In The Midnight Hour from the Atlantic Soul comp from the early days of CDs--1985? To my ears, that version sounds like music in one channel and reverb bounce in the other (Steve, a work part?). Definitely, to be avoided. The best version is on the Atlantic Records Anniversary two CD set in HDCD. It sounds phenomonal on that set--in Mono, of course. But, very dynamic with more bite than other versions that I have. Pat, maybe you should post a thread on the Definitive Stereo versions from this period? If you do not, I am going to.

One more to my list:

What'd I Say (Part1)--Ray Charles 1959 (Mix, Impact)
    I enjoy the full length Stereo version but the Mono has more impact, the instruments are more upfront in the mix and Ray's vocal is more centered.

12. Bob Lovely

Definitive Single Versions---Even More!

Friends,

How about some more? Last night, I went through more CDs and music.

1950's

Queen Of The Hop--Bobby Darin 1958 (Mix)
    I missed this one the first time through. The mix on the Stereo version looses Bobby's vocal.The Mono has his vocal upfront and centered. The impact on the Stereo is good, however.

Charlie Brown--Coasters 1959 (Impact)
    The Stereo mix is actually pretty good but, the Mono has more impact. I believe someone we know mastered a definitive Mono version.

Stagger Lee--Lloyd Price 1959* (Impact, Mix)
    The Mono has the right impact. The Stereo does not have a enough middle.

Come Softly To Me--Fleetwoods 1959 (Mix)
    The Mono is the correct single mix. The Stereo has additional overdubs or additional mixed in instruments.

El Paso--Marty Robbins 1959 (Version)
    The Mono single version contains an extra verse (right Steve?). Otherwise, the Stereo mix sounds fine.

1960's

Chain Gang--Sam Cooke 1960* (Impact. Low End)
    I prefer the Mono 45 sound and it's direct, in-your-face impact. It has more low-end as well.

Hello Walls--Faron Young 1961 (Impact, Low End)
    The Stereo mix is pretty good but, I recently obtained the Mono single mix and I was blown away by the impact and low end.

Having A Party--Sam Cooke 1962* (Impact, Low End)

Walk Like A Man--Four Seasons 1963 (Impact)

Only In America--Jay & the Americans 1963* (Mix, Impact)
    The Stereo mix lacks the impact of the Mono and it is too wet.

Money--Kingsmen 1964 (Mix, Impact)

Baby, I'm Yours--Barbara Lewis 1965 (Impact)

Save It For Me--Four Seasons 1965 (Impact, Mix, Low End)
    The Mono single version is more powerful.

Bend Me, Shape Me--American Breed 1966 (Mix, Impact)
    The Mono single version has much more impact. The Stereo mix has has almost no middle.

Jenny Take A Ride--Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels 1966 (Impact)
    The Mono single mix has more impact and bite.

All Strung Out--Nino Tempo & April Stevens 1966* (Mix, Impact)
    Stereo mix is a nightmare with no middle and a lot less impact.

Opus 17 (Don't Worry 'Bout Me)--Four Seasons 1966 (Impact)

On The Road Again--Canned Heat 1968* (Version)
    The edited version is the correct single version.

Licking Stick--James Brown 1968 (Impact)

Hey Baby!, They're Playing Our Song--Buckinghams 1968 (Version)
    Most Stereo versions are incorrect and do not match the single edits.

Green Eyed Lady--Sugarloaf 1969 (Version)
    A single version that edited out the long organ break is the correct single version. I still really enjoy the full length version but, the heavily edited version is the correct single mix. Popular as an album cut before it was released as a single.

13. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Bob,

I'm really impressed by this list. I would like to add some stuff to it but I'll need to sit down and really do some listening. Give me a few days and I'll try to find some interesting stuff to add. I agree with your observation that for top 40 (especially the 50's and early 60's) that the mono single was king. Anyway, thanks for doing this and all your work is appreciated!!

Todd

14. Bob Lovely

Thanks!

Todd,

Thanks! If I am not pre-empted by another thread I will post a definitive Stereo versions thread for this same time period sometime in the near future. Thanks again, for your support.

Bob

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Definitive Single Versions---Even More!

Keep in mind there are at least two stereo mixes of each of these, the original '60s mixes, plus the remixes on the box and GH set. I believe there are also some "mucked with" versions of the original mixes, with even more echo added and the stereo image messed with.

Unfortunately the recent remixes are not really what they could be. The vocals have some sort of processing on them that kind of clouds Sam's voice. The ABKCO remixes, while not perfect, don't have this problem.

16. Bob Lovely

Re: Re: Definitive Single Versions---Even More!

Luke,

Thanks for the info! The Stereo mixes that I have are on the Greatist Hits anthology mastered by Bill Lacy. I also have that old RCA anthology mastered many years ago. Personally, I have never been satisfied with the early Sam Cooke Stereo mixes (60' - 62') when compared to their Mono 45 counterparts. However, two SC Stereo mixes that stand out to me, sonically, are Twistin' The Night Away and Another Saturday Night. Both really "cook" in Stereo and have great impact.

Thanks for jumping in!

Bob

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Definitive Single Versions---Even More!

Funny...I don't like the sound on Twistin' The Night Away at all...

There are at *least* 3 stereo mixes of Another Saturday Night - the original stereo mix, the remix on the withdrawn Greatest Hits (BMG lost the rights to it) and the remix on ABKCO's Keep Movin' On. I believe a "reworking" of the original stereo mix showed up on The Man And His Music - more echo and the channels brought in (or something - it's really strange). The ABKCO remix is a tad bright, but I do think the vocals come through better than on the BMG disc.

18. Bob Lovely

Re: Re: Re: Re: Definitive Single Versions---Even More!

Luke,

I am curious what you do not like about the Stereo mix of Twistin' The Night Away? The one I am referring to is on the Lacey mastered disc, It has impact, a middle, good low end but, it is, bright. Is there a Mono available on CD? I have Another Saturday Night on the same disc before it was pulled and re-released sans Another Saturday Night. On that disc, Another Saturday Night exhibits many of the same sonic qualities as Twistin' The Night Away. Which version of ASN is the best--the one to get!?

Thanks!

Bob

19. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Re: Definitive Single Versions---Even More!

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Definitive Single Versions---Even More!

To me Twistin' just seems like there's a blanket over the speakers a bit - the EQ in general just seems to be lacking in the high end.

I'm not totally happy with the Lacy/Williams remixes, myself.

I sent you a PM regarding the ABKCO remix.

21. Bob Lovely

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Definitive Single Versions---Even More!

Luke,

Got it!...well, I take that mix and EQ it up a bit when I use it on a comp. So, you could say that I am not happy with the sound as well.

Thanks for the PM!

Bob

22. Bob Lovely

Re: Re: Definitive Single Versions---Even More!

23. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Thanks for your support!

Was Elektra a leader in this short-lived configuration? The Stereo on those Compatible 45's always had a very, very narrow sound stage.

Bob

24. Bob Lovely

New Avatar?

Grant,

Is that Major Harris?

Bob :confused:

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Re: New Avatar?

Johnnie Taylor! It's the cover of his mega-selling 1976 Columbia album "Eargasm", with the first platinum single ever, "Disco Lady". It's on CD. Legacy did a deluxe remastering job on it. It was produced by his longtime producer Don Davis.

Don Davis also produced an album for Robin Trower around that time.

Taylor was shifted to Columbia Records after Stax was taken over by CBS in 1974.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.