The Dennessen Geometric Soundtracktor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sgb, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgb

sgb Senior Member Thread Starter

Anybody know if these are still available (the metal one, preferably), how much they cost now, and where I might find one?

2. RDK

RDK Active Member

Damn! That sounds like something Dr. Evil would use to blow up the world!

:D

What's it do?

Ray

3. sgb

The accurate reproduction of signal information contained in a record groove is dependent upon the stylus of your cartridge mimicking (tracing) the same path traveled by the cutting stylus during the record production process. Since the axis of the cutting stylus shaft assembly is aligned to an arc tangent of the groove being cut, the tangential alignment of the playback stylus must duplicate that arc tangent in order to achieve optimum reproduction of groove information. For any given pivoted tonearm effective length, there exists but one alignment of the playback stylus, which will duplicate the tangential relationship established by the cutting stylus. As effective arm length is changed a different alignment is required.

The mathematics/geometry underlying this tangential relationship was first explored by H. G. Baerwald in his exhaustive treatise appearing in the December 1941 issue of the Journal of the Society of Motion Picture Engineers. Far advanced for its day, that treatise not only conclusively established mathematical proofs for the required relationship but commented on the readily audible effects of tangential misalignment of the playback stylus. Largely ignored for many years, the advent of high-resolution playback systems has placed cartridge alignment at the forefront of serious audio concern.

The Dennesen Geometric Soundtracktor has been designed to translate the rather complex mathematics/geometry of proper alignment into a simple, east to use tool for the consumer and the audio industry, The Geometric Soundtracktor, as a necessary adjunct to your system should be utilized each time a cartridge change is made or tracking force adjusted and periodically thereafter (about once a month, owing to movement of cartridge hardware) to insure optimum performance of your LP playback system.

These were considered essential to acheive perfect cartridge alignment.

4. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Is there such thing as "perfect cartridge alignment" with a pivoted tonearm? Does it take into consideration the tracking error? I guess it helps achieve "optimal" cartridge alignment.

There are so many different cartridge alignment tools. Is this the best? Is Dennessen still in business?

5. sgb

Well, I guess "perfect" is another relative term, Paul. Not sure if Dennesen is still in business. I talked to him about 5 years ago.

Yeah the Soundtracktor is supposed to be the best.

6. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Thanks, Steve.

Is the Wally Tractor (one of the Wally Tools) similar to the Dennessen Geometric Soundtracktor? Could it do equally good a job?

On a somehow related topic, it's been written that Dennessen made one of the best sounding phono preamp - the Vendetta (designed by John Curl?).

7. sgb

Don't know the Wally Tools or the Vendetta, but I once owned his killer air bearing tone arm. Awesom, but a real b1tch to keep adjusted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.