"The Deuce" - HBO Series with James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tone, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

If that's where it goes, I'm done with the show in a heartbeat.

2. James Slattery

No, looks too old for the part.

3. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Why?

4. James Slattery

Because I have no interest in watching it.

5. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Thanks for the redundancy.

RoyalScam, Mazzy and GentleSenator like this.
  6. James Slattery

Your welcome. Nice try though, trying to bait me into saying something derogatory that would get flagged.

7. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

It was a sincere question. I had no idea what you were getting at... but I sure do now.

RoyalScam and GentleSenator like this.
  8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

disagree! she easily looks 18-20 (I have no problem with her acting either but her role got hurt the most with the shortened season and feels underdevolped)

should be interesting, I still wish we could've stayed a little longer in the early 70's, the whole thing felt rushed and incomplete (set up a great dinner and gave us five minutes to eat) but whadyagonnado, love the music

wayneklein and trumpet sounds like this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't think so at all. She looks great and can pass for younger than her actual 37, but 18-20? Not at all.

10. the pope ondine

ya think? fooled me

[​IMG][​IMG]

trumpet sounds and Scotian like this.
  11. James Slattery

Very skinny. I thought she had a better figure in Revenge.

12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Just finished the last episode which felt more like an interim than a season finale.
    Would prefer a few less characters so we could stay with some scenes longer. Glad they finally allowed some time for Maggie’s scene with her brother.

the pope ondine likes this.
  13. Joe Shlabotnik

Joe Shlabotnik Formerly dickvin

BTW, the blonde in the last episode was clearly meant to represent Seka (who was gorgeous back in the day IMO - although the show's time frame is a bit early for her) as it's noted in the show that she's from Virginia where she and her husband ran an adult bookstore - which was Seka's actual background.

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I wouldn't want to ditch any of the characters, but I agree about the need for longer scenes in some cases, the one with Candy and her brother being one example. It was a season highlight.

chacha likes this.
  15. chacha

I don’t really want to ditch any of the characters either. Just want more time.

trumpet sounds and ralphb like this.
  16. the pope ondine

agreed. that scene was remarkable. the whole police/reporter storyline was kind of light and needed fleshing out

chacha and ralphb like this.
  17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The police/reporter story was one that looked like it was heading to a bad place for the cop. If they jump ahead in the timeline, I wonder if it'll ever be resolved.

18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

If the police officer testifies to the Knapp Commission, it could result in his superiors being taken down and he could move up the chain. But that was in 1972, so I don't know how they would handle it in the storyline. All supposition at this point anyway.

19. chacha

Yeah that often felt a bit awkward and contrived to me.

wayneklein likes this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I agree that it was a little undeveloped, but I think it's gone as far as it's going to go. If anything the new commander was paying lip-service to the Knapp Commission recommendations (which were issued in 1972 -- as was Deep Throat). IMO, the fix was in all along and the cop got played by his new big boss.

And the beat but goes on (albeit evolving and eventually losing to larger forces). But IMO its the end of that story.

21. I enjoy the show but could do less with the sex scenes (nothing against them but they take too much time away from the drama)

22. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

My wife & I have finished watching this on Sky this week, absolutely love the show. I didn't know if she'd go for it given the subject matter but she loved it also, which is pleasing.

I get the comments about it didn't have any resolution to the series, but then I don't think The Wire had much of them either, its maybe a trademark of Simons to leave things a bit open with a hint of happy endings and endings in tears. But we're looking forward to the next series, neither of us were born in the 70s, least of all knowing anything about NY at the time and its a real eye opener. Great series.

Dayfold, chacha and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  23. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The Wire seasons all felt pretty complete to me. I think their vision for this series is for the whole story to unfold over three seasons.

24. That’s sort of the main point of the show. Like a rock and roll Show with little Rick and roll.

25. Like I said I think it's fine but there's too many and sacrifices narrative development. I understand why they are there but they go on far too long or there are too many. It's like oops, don't know how to resolve this scene let's put in another sex scene where it demonstrates again how sick Maggie is of hooking.

If it's part of a background of narrative development that's fine as well but they could easily all be removed and have little effect on the story. They either need to integrate them better or make them additive rather than reductive. It reminds me of the first season of Gamr of Thrones which suffered from much the same problem.

To do something just becaus you can or use it as a means to ineffective close off a scene is like unnecessary drum solos. We all know they can play but demonstrating it doesn't improve the song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.