The difference a humble cartridge upgrade can make....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

Long story cut short...have been using my Acoustic Research "Legend" turntable with aN Audio Technica AT95E for as long as I can remember(replacing it when considered worn)Having been through various amps and speakers,and settling on an Arcam Alpha and B&W's,thought I had it about right for a strictly "budget" system....until someone sent me a Shure M97X to try.Stunned by the difference? You bet! Chalk and cheese...am listening to albums now I had in the past considered "difficult"....Dolphy's "Out to Lunch",Mile's "Bitches Brew" to name but two...."Difficult"? Not anymore! Problem is I guess you rarely hear(not in my circles anyway) those albums played on anyone else's home systems,so nothing to judge them by!
    Any how....along with the Shure I have a mint boxed Sumiko blue point...given the difference the Shure made,counting down the days until I can mount the Sumiko...I think I may be in for another treat:)

2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I love my M97xe.
    Do you go with the brush up or down? What tracking weight?

3. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

Properly mounting and aligning a phono cart yourself is one of the most empowering things you can do in this hobby!

4. frimleygreener

Depends on the age and surface quality with regard to brush...currently about 1.6....not sure about the optimum force to be fair!

5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I keep mine brush up, tracking about 1.9

6. frimleygreener

Is that a personal "like",or a recommended setting?

7. thommo

thommo Senior Member

You need to add 0.5g downforce if you are using the brush to account for the extra suspension of the damper bristles.

So to track at 1.5g with the brush down, you need to set it for 2.0g (with the brush up) and then lower the brush for use.

8. frimleygreener

Thank you for that information...will implement! Know what else has just occurred? I forgot to balance the arm before applying downforce,assuming the cartridge would weigh the same as the Audio Technica did!

9. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Not as easy to perform, but also pretty amazing, if you ever get the chance... try the same cartridge on different tonearms and/or different turntables.
    It will take you back to school on the flip side.
    Many folks know what a change a humble cartridge can make.
    Knowing the differences a modest tonearm/turntable can effect the same cartridge play will leave the audiophile/music lover humbled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.