The Difference(s) Between The Same Album In Different Countries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Solitaire1, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan Thread Starter

I was recently thinking about the albums Himself by Gilbert O'Sullivan and Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles, and how there is a difference between the U. K. and U. S. versions of the same album as shown by the following:
    • Himself by Gilbert O'Sullivan: The U. S. version of the album features two songs ("Alone Again [Naturally]" and "We Will") that were that were released as singles in the U. K., replacing two songs ("Susan Van Heusen" and "Doing The Best That I Can") that were on the U. K. version.
    • Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles: It was released as a two-disc EP in the U. K. and as an LP in the U. S., which added the following songs on Side Two of the LP (checked via Wikipedia):
      • Hello Goodbye
      • Strawberry Fields Forever
      • Penny Lane
      • Baby, You're A Rich Man
      • All You Need Is Love
    I was wondering what other albums, with the same name, that have variations in the track listing from country to country?

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  2. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

The UK and US versions of Jimi Hendrix Smash Hits album are different.

3. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

The original US Fresh Cream LP had I Feel Free and no Spoonful , the UK version was the exact opposite.

4. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

The US version of Elvis Costello This Year's Model dropped Chelsea and Night Rally but added Radio Radio - which was then released in the UK as a non-album single

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

If we're not including bonus tracks-
    If we are quite a few are listed here-
    Pre-remaster post-punk/new wave/synth pop CDs w/Xtra tracks
    Lightning Seeds-Cloudcuckooland, 1990
    US/Europe contain a different mix of All I Want.
    Erasure-The Two Ring Circus, 1987
    Europe gets The Circus (Live), US gets The Circus (Dave Powell Mix)
    Erasure-Cowboy, 1997
    In My Arms is a different mix between the two
    Propaganda-A Secret Wish CD, 1985
    US carries the original LP mixes.

negative1 and Front 242 Addict like this.
  6. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Beatles' A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver US/UK (obvs)

7. The Rolling Stones:

Out of Our Heads (not including UK export copies)
    Aftermath
    Big Hits (High Tide & Green Grass)
    Between the Buttons
    Through The Past Darkly

The Kinks - Kinda Kinks

Technically, The Who's UK My Generation shares a slightly different title than it's US counterpart (The Who Sings My Generation) but they're pretty close, and have different track listings on side 2.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

The debut album by The Clash came out in the UK in 1977, however when it was finally released in the US it lost "Deny", "Cheat", "Protex Blue", "48 Hours" and the original version of "White Riot" but gained "Clash City Rockers" ,"Complete Control", a re-recorded version of "White Riot","(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais" ,"I Fought the Law"and "Jail Guitar Doors".

9. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

Don't get me started about The Orb, I'll skip the 'Japanese' versions that have just one extra track, but their Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond the Call of Duty 2 'remix' compilation has about 30% different tracks between the UK and US version, due to copyright limitations apparently.

Another example is Bicycles and Tricycles that has the same tracks in UK and Japan, but with different mixes for at least 3 of them.

Maurice likes this.
  10. fer2

fer2 Forum Resident

The art cover here in Uruguay of the White Album (The Beatles) is a photo from Help !
    It's true, hard to believe.
    It was confusing those days when I was a kid, the cover didn't match with the music, until a magazine came and I found the real cover art.
    Remember there was no internet and the news came, let's say, 24 plus hours later, and magazines 1 month later.
    Sorry if I have mistakes with my english, do my best.

Buddybud, Worker, Hombre and 4 others like this.
  11. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

As are the UK & US Are You Experienced?

12. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

Here are some off the top of my head I remember as being different tracklistings between UK and US:

Duran Duran - Duran Duran
    New Order - Power Corruption And Lies
    Yaz - Upstairs At Eric's
    Yaz - You and Me Both
    Erasure - Wonderland
    Splashh - Comfort
    Saint Etienne - Tales From Turnpike House
    The Killers - Hot Fuss

negative1, c-eling and altaeria like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

1 and only time we got bonus tracks with a New Order album, well except for a mix on Waiting :laugh:

negative1 likes this.
  14. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

The Colourfield - Virgins & Philistines album (1985).
    Only six of the ten tracks on the UK album made it onto the US & Canada twelve track release, which made up the numbers with various b sides and 12" tracks.

15. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

The violent femmes U.K. version of the album "the blind leading the naked" has a different track listing from it's U.S. counterpart!different song's/order!great either way!

16. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

ELO - 'On The Third Day' didn't include 'Showdown' on the UK release.

17. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

The Stone Roses first album exists in various configurations, with altered cover artwork, in different countries.
    [​IMG]
    The original UK album has 11 tracks. 1989-ish US versions added their pre-album single "Elephant Stone". (This track is alternately the third track in the running order, or sometimes the 6th, on 1991-ish UK re-issues). Then, most international versions of the album (esp. on CD) from 1990 onwards added both "Elephant Stone" and "Fools Gold"; the latter, being 10 minutes long, is always the final track. The letters spelling "The Stone Roses" on the cover are more of an orange hue on most North American CDs, but are white or black in some other territories.

18. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Blind Faith - I believe the actual music is exactly the same, but the US version had a photo of the band rather than the topless girl. For once, I think my country's puritanism was well-placed.

19. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Procol Harum's first had different track listings on the US and UK releases. Plus the US version substituted "Whiter Shade of Pale" for "Good Captain Clack."

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The Thompson Twins third album "Quick Step & Side Kick" exists with multiple running orders and even the abbreviated title "Side Kicks". And guess where I have learned that? :evil:

negative1 likes this.
  21. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: For unknown reasons, the U.S. and U.K. versions of Donovan's eponymous 1977 album contain the exact same songs, but in a different order.

[​IMG]

Front 242 Addict and NumberEight like this.
  22. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

A Hard Day's Night lost "When I Get Home" on the Russian release due to rights issues.

23. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

there was a german "house of love" debut with mostly other songs then the english house of love - debut... confusingly they released their next / third album also with the same title...

24. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Wow, weird. Why would that be? Wouldn't its rights be the same as all the other tracks?

(Pretty crappy song, anyway, so maybe it's just as well to lose it!)

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What photo was that, help ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.