The Doors Concerts - Bright Midnight Series Album-by-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

will check it out this weekend....putting on the live Bolin here again.....that cat could play.....Jesus....

SonicBob likes this.
  2. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Even worse, all of that between-song noodling/tuning/babbling is sequenced as separate tracks on every release.

3. Mike Campbell

now I think I will skip it.....doesn't sound like my style. Love the doors though.....have all their DCC discs...

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Do they do this so The Doors can get more songwriting credits? I mean, is "The Crowd Humbly Requests" now an official Doors track? Do they make extra money by doing it this way? I just don't understand why 30 seconds of crowd noise needs a title.

el_diablo likes this.
  5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The sampler has some alternate mixes of note, including lowering the mic on Ray's backing vocals.

6. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

What I did was rip them all to my Mac and then incorporate the banter into the tracks.

Probably!

7. Radardog

Radardog Forum Resident

Detroit is personal. My parents were at this show...all throughout my childhood I heard the story of how they played through curfew with the lights on inside Cobo. Out of all the Detroit shows in the 60s and early 70s they both agreed this was the best, including countless shows at the Grande Ballroom.

It was unbelievable to buy this for them, and tell them this was obviously a special show for the band as well.

Chris M, Boswell, SOONERFAN and 7 others like this.
  8. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Was Seattle '70 released officially?...any way that's my favorite one to listen to from the tour....really long and interesting version of Mystery Train, and a rare version of Someday Soon...
    Second vote goes for Bakersfield....drums have more punch and bottom than any of the other recordings on the tour.....plus, a really great, long and different improvisation of Universal Mind....that alone is worth price of admission!
    I also like the Dallas early show.....lotta LA Woman tracks played.........a very different show than previous....

anastasios and DrBeatle like this.
  9. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

that's a plus then . . . his vocals are grating to say the least.

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It was done intentionally for "newer" fans. "Stop the Car".

11. masswriter

What was the first concert to be released so that we may discuss it set-by-set?

12. masswriter

I, for one, like the noodling banter and Morrison talk ... I don't for a second want to leave it to band or its management to make those cuts for us.
    That they released these sets unscathed is nothing short of a miracle.

13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That's about the only one I never picked up due to the bad reviews. I think I have all the others.

14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think that is one of the issues that plagues the Vancouver concert. The Doors were not particularly good at in-concert improvisation and experimentation. When they stretched out with things like Mystery Train circa 1970, the expended 15 minutes piece did not deviate from its basic structure and recycled elements . The Doors simply could not take a piece of music like The Grateful Dead or The Allman Brothers Band and run with it. As brilliant as they were in some ways, improvisational virtuosity was not one of their strengths.

15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The first half of the Detroit concert may be among the best concerts The Doors ever performed, or at least that has been preserved officially or unofficially. However, once the band goes into a long, very flat, pedestrian Been Down So Long; a nearly 20 minute blues jam with lead vocals by Ray Manzarek; and very disjointed attempt at The End -- there is a significant drop off in quality.

16. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Yes, that's true, they were musically compromised compared to the Dead and the Allman Bros. but, I do think those two songs did, for better or worse, allow them to at least attempt improvisation, often times, with mixed results; at least it gave them room to experiment. They certainly weren't capable of doing a "Dark Star" or "Stormy Monday", though, that's for sure!

17. masswriter

Can we discuss Live In Detroit first?

18. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

The Philadelphia show was the biggest disappointment in my opinion. I've since lost it, but I used to have a book by Greg Shaw called The Doors: On the Road. In that book, Shaw hyped up the Philly show as being one of the best of their career. I couldn't wait to hear it because of that review. When I finally did, I remember it being very tame and average. I didn't like that the house announcer band introduction (used on Absolutely Live) was missing, either.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  19. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Not so sure I agree with that. I think they were a very good improvisational band instrumentally. Far above average. Maybe not as good as the Grateful Dead, but who was? For example, no two Light My Fire solos (by Ray or Robby) were the same. However, when the Doors were really at their improvisational best was when Jim would quote bits of his poetry and the band would lay down a hypnotic groove behind him. Good examples would be The End from Boston 1968, When the Musics Over from Singer Bowl 1968, etc. Sadly, they got away from this by the 1970 tour.

zphage and Buda like this.
  20. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Sorry about that. Posted my opinions on the Philadelphia show right when you wrote this.

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Be happy they did that...it allows you to skip through it, and onto the next song :)

22. Mike Campbell

The band had to be extremely improvisational. they had no idea where Jim was going to take them....and they always did a stellar job of following along....amazingly so....On the Hollywood bowl show, they were incredible as to hanging in there. I believe they were even better than the Dead.

sekaer, Buda and jdlaw like this.
  23. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

The Doors couldn't improvise a 30 minute 'Dark Star' type jam like the Dead could (which I love), but the Dead/Jerry couldn't make up lyrics live on the spot and have the band follow behind him like the Doors could (which I also love). Equal but different I'd say.

24. Mike Campbell

Certainly different. Different in every way.

jdlaw likes this.
  25. Mike Campbell

IMHO the doors and the dead had nothing in common. other than that they were musicians.

Mr Mojo likes this.