The Doors Concerts - Bright Midnight Series Album-by-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Feb 16, 2017.

1. This thread had me dig out the Backstage and Dangerous Rehearsal. It's definitely one of the stronger BM releases in my mind.

Dan Steele, SOONERFAN and RockRoom like this.
  2. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident

...I enjoy the danish tv performance.
    ...backstage and dangerous ; a great time capsule of jims state of mind in my opionin
    Rock is dead- it's live man just like backstage and dangerous is... just private ...i love it all :)

Pats Radio likes this.
  3. Regarding Backstage And Dangerous (which could just have easily been entitled Backstage And Tedious), I find myself in complete agreement with the AllMusic review, a snippet from which is quoted below:

"These recordings are completely unedited and reveal what by all accounts sounds like a frustrated and bored band. They aimlessly meander through the slow bluesy "I Will Never Be Untrue" and continue to struggle for direction as they wind their way through an uninspired arrangement of "Blue Sunday" as well as a cover version of "(You Need Meat) Don't Go No Further." Backstage and Dangerous: The Private Rehearsal is a raw examination of the Doors as they attempt to rediscover themselves as a live and self-contained unit. While all strata of Doors enthusiasts will find plenty to enjoy, the tedium between the performances may prove excessive for some."

4. lovemygirl

...thanks for sharing that, I completely agree with the writer...not so much the band playing but more focus on Jim as a performer ...

5. lovemygirl

... this is my own opionin but by late 1969 Jim was a full blown alcoholic , his life became unmanageable and he was powerless over his disease... :(

6. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Indeed. I think his words around that time were something like "I'm having a nervous breakdown", IIRC... :(

7. lovemygirl

Yes....the business builds around a drunk when indeed the org should be motivating behind the hearts meaning!!, listen, true art ****s with the senses .... arts .... Jim did, they put his whole life !....

8. lovemygirl

...PBS was multitrack , as is the LIVE session of Rock is dead. Jampol can share and hold his opionin on a lot of things regarding ones legacy concerning the doors or any other group linked to his propaganda ...but facts are facts ...in all levels of the musical business , the tapes don't lie.

9. lovemygirl

...detailed union paper work for pbs performance is preserved ...

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Are you saying the 1969 PBS Soundstage performance was recorded on multitrack?

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don't hear a band "attempting to rediscover themselves as a live unit" on the Backstage And Dangerous reels. It isn't as if the band had taken a couple of years off. They had been consistently working for over two years in the studio and as a live unit. The Backstage And Dangerous reels showcase a disjointed band fizzling out with a disconnected vocalist who is completely disregarding the session. It should be an intriguing glimpse into the band's creative process, but it really is a substandard session that never takes off because the lead vocalist is disengaged, unprofessional, and a bit obnoxious. While it is in glorious multitrack sound, it is an unimpressive recording reconfirming Morrison's animosity towards the band and his music career.

Dan Steele, SteveM and tedg65 like this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

If it was, the audio that the band has released doesn't sound like it. In fact, the missing intro to The Soft Parade should exist if the music was multitracked, but in terms of the audio, the band has only released the videotape feed with The Soft Parade studio track edited in.

13. lovemygirl

...Yes it was. The doors released what they thought was most easily profitable ... a shame ...

14. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

I love the versions of Soft Parade and Tell All The People from PBS....Jim may have been a little hoarse in the voice but the excitement cuts through...
    I'm pretty sure the video on Youtube of SP has the live recording of Morrison's intro, or at least most of it....why they spliced in the studio portion for official relase is puzzling...

Dan Steele likes this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

The PBS set is a good one. If The Doors do in fact have a multitrack of its audio (and I am not convinced that they do), it would have been an interesting idea to release some sort of live release with some of the remaining shorter, fragmented performances as part of one package; such as The London Fog tape, the Danish television performance, and the PBS Special. None of these sets stand on their own as suitable commercial releases (as the Fog debacle is proving).

tedg65 likes this.
  16. lovemygirl

....wait, your confusing me. Are u saying none of the above tv performances are worthy of an officially released package- film/cd ? Or whag not ?

17. PacificOceanBlue

As separate releases, no. They are not long enough to justify individual releases. Why release a 30-45 minute tape as a CD or DVD release? Why not combine it with other similar tapes to create something more comprehensive? But, you are probably a proponent of how the Fog tape was presented, so....

18. lovemygirl

...no I wasn't with the fog release , but it could have been a limited collectors release like boot ur butt , maybe 5-10 thousand units... I wouldn't complain ...

19. lovemygirl

...Fog release - my personal opionin which did not arouse applause was and still is what it is...
    ...what's important and no one is questioning is what's next on BMA ....

20. lovemygirl

...why release singles if an album is soon to be released? .... peacock :::: :)

21. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

How is the London Fog release, anyone?

22. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Re: London Fog.....I thought it was pretty great for an early snapshot of the band, Densemore's drumming was very interesting......as far as cost/packaging,etc---a big letdown.......

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Yeah, the fact that it was manufactured only in the vinyl format with a CD copy as a bonus was a bit pretentious and heavy handed. I know there are people out there whom swear by vinyl and the resurgence of it within the last several years has gained a lot more re-interest, I've even pondered investing in it again myself. But ultimately, I prefer the CD format and despite the fact that it seems to be on the wane, I want to continue collecting music within this format. I suppose the reasoning behind the "London Fog" packaging was geared towards the more serious Doors fan and in doing so, for someone like myself, obtaining this release only in one available format, having the vinyl would be considered a collector's item, but I just don't see the point of spending the extra cash(Amazon currently has a new copy going for $39.45 with $3.99 shipping) for a mere 7 songs.

24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

compare that to twisted sisters early years live release. 3 cd's, 24 page booklet, 3 guitar picks, backstage pass replica, lipstick, mirror, nice sturdy box with velvet in it. can be found new for less than $35

25. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

That is, if you like Twisted Sister. Haha! No, I see your point and that's a fair example of what can be offered in a case of "more bang for the buck" within a musical product designed for the fans' interest and offering it as such. Again, within the marketing idea for the "London Fog" edition, I can see the intention and purpose, I just feel that the lack of flexibility in including another option is a bit unfair to the consumer/fan.

Matthew Tate likes this.