The Doors Concerts - Bright Midnight Series Album-by-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Feb 16, 2017.

1. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

"We played with the Grateful Dead at the Shrine Auditorium, psychedelic lights everywhere, of course the Dead played too long and out of tune as they usually did in those days" - Ray Manzarek

Pats Radio likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

its like you don't get it. the value being offered is none. it takes money to press the vinyl and that drives the cost up. no reason for it to be included. the example i gave twisted sister was offering 3 concerts, each one over 40 minutes long which is longer than the fog release, and charged $15 less. there are better ways to market it and the doors didn't do it. how about an awesome 25 or so page book and the cd and charge maybe $27. how hard is that

Six Bachelors and superstar19 like this.
  3. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

No, it's that you don't get it. It's THEIR product. Their legacy. They chose to do what THEY wanted. As is THEIR right. It's the bands earliest recording and they wanted to do a time capsule type of box which I agree with. It's a special release and you want them to just throw it in a cd holder and sell it for $10? That's nonsense.

Stop comparing releases with other bands. Every release is different. Some bands can do more than others for a number of reasons which I won't go into here. Sigh, again, we're arguing over $15-20 bucks??? Really? Save up and be happy THEY RELEASED IT. They could have passed on buying it and it would have collected dust in the ladies closet. Then you would be complaining about why they never bought it. I could play this game all day but it's hard to believe this has to be pointed out over and over.

SteveM likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I don't need to save up. I could have bought day of release. I saved my money on the over priced wasted product. Again though there are tons of them on ebay and amazon. Anyone want one they can get it.

Six Bachelors and superstar19 like this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

"They" didn't release it, Jampol released it. It isn't if Robby and John are directing these projects. The band appears to have delegated creative and business decisions to Jampol. Robby allegedly isn't even aware that the Matrix recordings have not been properly released from the masters, if he was, he would know that he recently signed off on a box release containing a portion of the masters.

The London Fog recording is special, and should have been included in a special release, but it was not. I do not recall a time where such an extraordinary and unique archival find by a legendary artist was so ineffectively used. But you are happy with it, to each his own....

6. Pats Radio

Jeff doesn't release anything without the Doors and all parties involved approval. Period. Apparently you're not aware how it works which is fine but don't claim you do when you don't.

Just think all this whining over $20 bucks for a release they couldn't wait for. Roll eyes here and laugh.

7. That's an interesting quote from Ray Manzarek. Though the tapes of the era, and the Shrine Auditorium shows in particular, contradict his memory. The recent vinyl release of the 11/10/67 show is a particularly excellent show.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  8. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Sad that the Doors & the Dead didn't like each other. I love both bands (but definitely prefer the Doors if forced to choose).

As far as I know, they had two encounters with each other. The first was at the Fillmore in January, 1967. From what I've read, the Doors were the opening act and apparently showed the Grateful Dead up in front of their home crowd. This is probably the shows Ray was referring too (not Shrine Auditorium). The second encounter was at some outdoor festival in either 1967 or '68. Ray talks about it in his book, but for some reason he couldn't use his own keyboards and asked to use Pigpens. Pigpen rudely declined.

Pats Radio likes this.
  9. Pats Radio

Whether new shows are labeled BMA/BMR or not I don’t really care. I just want the live shows. Several shows in the vault have better than good sound quality which could be released officially.

10. Do you know which particular shows are "in the vault" and in contention for a BMA/BMR (what's the difference anyway?) release?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

This is what I was listening to when I was twelve. Keener was my radio station. It was literally the soundtrack of my life at that point. That survey I am sure was posted at our K Mart when I purchased both Unknown Soldier and 2+2=? by Seger. I still remember that particular purchase and have thought of it often as it was my first for both artists. The survey made me smile. As did the earlier review from the Freep of the Cobo concert(which of course I didn't see. I was 12).

Doggiedogma likes this.
  12. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I would have a difficult time articulating a disagreement with anything said here. That being said, I fully enjoy a majority of the tracks on that release. I don't know if it is the looking at "the wreck on the highway" kind of thing or just getting an audio glimpse of the band like we (at least I) have never heard before but I love it in all its rough, graphic, unprofessional glory. I think it is a great release for Doors freaks but certainly not the mainstream casual listener.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  13. Pats Radio

All the live shows have been unbelievable. Great stuff. Looking forward to more coming.

Flynbryan likes this.
  14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Currently playing....
    [​IMG]

15. I see there is a new CD available for pre-order called "Shot To Pieces" on Amazon, claiming to be a 'rehearsal broadcast' of the Rock Is Dead session. Surely that wasn't ever broadcast?

Another enterprising bootlegger's work or is this something worthwhile?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

If the claim is that it was a "broadcast," it most likely is another European boot trying to pass as a legitimate release. "Rock Is Dead" in its entirety was never broadcast. It is difficult to imagine Jampol supporting the official release of the "Rock Is Dead" session.

Matthew Tate and SteveM like this.
  17. Almost certainly one of those grey-market Euro releases. As the mainstream labels more or less cede the CD market away, the public domain outfits have become increasingly aggressive.

18. All true but the question remains is this worth getting based on the track listing? As PacificOceanBlue has already said this is highly unlikely to get an official authorised release any day soon. I've never been an advocate of the whole Rock Is Dead thing but for those of you who have heard it all and know what the unedited track listing and times should be, is this complete and are any of the tracks 'essential' in your opinion?

19. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

if you want it, I assume now is the time to get it, because Doors Incorporated will never release it in one fell swoop . . . such a release would be split up over several Record Store Days and anniversary reissues.

20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

After hearing the live version of The End on the Behind Closed Doors comp I never want to hear the song live again.

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Though they never played that song a lot, there live versions out there, which are far better than that one!

22. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

there are a lot new cd bootlegs, even with post morrison shows, i haven't heard any of them, but i still wonder about the sound queality

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

after several years i finally picked a Japanese version of it :D

Sean likes this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. If one is interested in this loose and drunken session, this upcoming grey-market release is a relatively affordable way of acquiring it. The band will likely not release it in its entirety unless purging the vault becomes a priority at some point. Several years ago on the old Doors message board, Jampol alluded to not supporting some of these less-than-flattering session reels and said he never would have supported releasing "Backstage and Dangerous" had he been managing the band at the time it was released.

PhantomStranger likes this.