The Doors, favourite song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Airbus, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Strange days

RickH likes this.
  2. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Land Ho!

3. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Twentieth Century Fox

4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I do. I even named two in my post above.

They have merit.

5. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

True. And it occurs to me perhaps rather than just citing it an explanation of why it is the best is due, given the activity on this thread, but in general as well.

While others have personal preferences, and objective measures such as Light My Fire being their breakout hit, and the later hits including LA Woman, and of course the other well known long song When the Music's Over have their justifications, I think The End stands out for a number of reasons.

It didn't sound like anything else even apart from its length. Thanks to Robbie Krieger's restrained opening, it is instantly recognizable from virtually the first note or so.

Those notes draw you into a world that is far removed from wherever you are when listening, transporting the listener to another place.

Morrison's poetry elsewhere could, to be fair, be overdone to say the least. But here it fits perfectly with the existentialist focus and feel of the overall song. Alienation, yearning, violence, resolution. It's all there.

Despite its length the use of tempo changes and its sequence of lyrical subjects prevent it from ever approaching boredom. To the contrary The End propels along and through that sequence to its fitting conclusion.

It also has a timelessness to its sound well served by its (relatively, relative to its time) excellent production. All instruments are balanced, Densmore's drums crack and pop, and Krieger's eventual feedback climax (with its sexual implications apparent) all fit.

The End's placement on their first album also established how The Doors were a band with diverse capabilities who were willing to take chances and do things differently. Appearing on the same album as Light My Fire and the tunes referencing their blues focus, particularly Back Door Man, it alerted us to how they were likely to surprise us again with later efforts. That none of them quite matched The End is, to me, quite alright. We still have The End.

I remember the first time I saw Apocalypse Now, ftr one of my favorite films all time. I knew right from the get go where the film was coming from and where it wanted to go with the choice of this song. What other song, what sound, could have served as well? Captain Willard's situation was where this song was. Absolute perfection.

That's my case and I am sticking to it. Best Doors song ever.

*Zod* likes this.
  6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Can't pick just one

Top 10 (no order)

The Crystal Ship
    End of the Night
    Strange Days
    I Can't See Your Face In My Mind
    Summer's Almost Gone
    Yes, The River Knows
    Wishful Sinful
    Waiting for the Sun
    Indian Summer
    Riders on the Storm

Front 242 Addict and dsky like this.
  7. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

That's my kind of list. I always felt the Doors' lesser known tracks were generally much, much better than their hits.

Front 242 Addict and Scope J like this.
  8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I will go with Love Her Madly, by a hair over The End.

9. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

my personal Doors compilation:

1. Waiting For The Sun
    2. I Can't See Your Face In My Mind
    3. Not To Touch The Earth
    4. Peace Frog >
    5. Blue Sunday
    6. Crystal Ship
    7. You're Lost Little Girl
    8. Yes, The River Knows
    9. Indian Summer