The Doors: Indian Summer - what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WPLJ, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

Love this track.

Could someone please tell me: What exactly is the difference between the master released on Morrison Hotel and the version "(8/19/66 Vocal)" on the 40th Anniversary Edition of The Doors? I know the basic tracks were recorded for the first album. What changes/additions/subtractions were made for the version on Morrison Hotel? Both of these tracks sound nearly identical to me, particularly the vocals. Could someone clarify?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers.

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Heh, I can see why this is confusing. Jim Morrison re-recorded his vocal during the Morrison Hotel sessions so that version is 1966 track (from their first Elektra session) with 1969 vocal. Might have been some other overdubs but that's the gist of it.

For the Indian Summer bonus track on the Perception box Bruce Botnick (I think) synced up each multi-track stage and used the unheard original vocal. I got a real kick out of hearing the all 1966 version that could've been on the debut or first single.

Where it is confusing is they goofed and used the 1969 vocal instead of the 1966 one on the stand alone MH reissue--in other words the stand alone CD has the 1969 vocal on their twice. In the LP proper and the bonus track (even though it is still credited as the "1966 vocal". Unless they fixed it, pretty sure they didn't, you have to get the 6CD boxset to hear the 1966 vocal.

Of course in typical Doors fashion the fans alerted management right away of the issue but they insisted it was correct. Same thing that happen with the Matrix tape speed, Matrix tapes, and the promo films on the Perception box that have one side of the stereo mix coming out of both channels.

andrewskyDE and Hep Alien like this.
  3. WPLJ

Thanks for the clarity, Chris! Well, that sucks! :D When I bought the first album reissue (no interest in getting the Perception box; I am strictly a 2 channel kind of guy!) I was really looking forward to hearing the original vocals from 1966 on that tune. Thought they sounded the same ... Rats!

Any idea if the 8/19/66 Vocal version of Indian Summer is correct on the iTunes version of the Perception box? :D

4. WPLJ

Listening to it now on iTunes. Perception box version sure sounds different! Gonna have to snag this. ;)

I like the Morrison Hotel version better, I think, but interesting to hear!

Thanks again for your help. Your knowledge of Hendrix and Floyd has been mighty helpful in the past. Respect. :righton:

5. WPLJ

Looking at the Perception Box on iTunes, I see there are two exclusive, album only bonus tracks: Blues For Lonnie and Queen of the Highway (Instrumental). Are these on the physical box? Easter eggs, perhaps? What a pi**er ... :realmad:

6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Amazon and iTunes have two "Indian Summers" from the Perception box listed but use the Morrison Hotel sound clip for both. Which one has the actual '66 vocal - the "2006 Alternate Vocal" which clocks in at 2:36 or the one that's 2:33? Thanks!

7. WPLJ

On iTunes, the 1966 vocal version appears to be the one listed as (2006 Alternate Version), appearing in the tracklisting right after the second Moonlight Drive outtake from the first album.

Haven't checked amazon.

8. WPLJ

The 2:36 version has the '66 vox.

9. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Thanks, WPLJ. So Itunes uses the correct '66 vocal on the 1st album bonus track while the stand-alone '07 remix CD of the 1st album uses the incorrect '69 one?

Sorry for the confusion!

10. WPLJ

I didn't check the iTunes version of the stand-alone reissue of The Doors, just iTunes' version of the Perception box. This is where I acquired the correct 1966 vocal version of Indian Summer without having to actually buy the whole box! ;)

I personally own the 2007 reissue (remix) of The Doors. The 1969 version of IS is on that disc. Unfortunate.

Clear as mud? :D

11. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Was the standalone remix CD ever corrected? How similar are the '66 and '69 vocals?

12. WPLJ

Don't know if it was ever corrected (I am guessing not).

The vox are different enough to notice, if that helps. ;)

13. robgronotte

robgronotte Well-Known Member

OK, I know this is an old thread, but wondering if someone could help me. Did anyone come up with a definitive answer for exactly which releases contain the correct 1996 vocal on Indian Summer? I have a few versions on CD, and have downloaded a few more, but they all sound the same to me. Don't know if I have leaden ears or I still haven't found the correct one. Would love to get a copy of the right one, or find out exactly where to get it, or even be told exactly what to listen for in order to tell the difference. Thanks!

14. robgronotte

robgronotte Well-Known Member

Just giving this a bump, would sure love to figure out where to find this alternate version...

15. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident

Jim's voice didn't change much between '66 and '69.

16. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I have the original Perception Box. And I'll be damned, I cannot really tell them apart. Putting them together in audacity, head to head, I can spot the differences, as Jim occasionally places a line differently, so they come in at different spots.
    Quite. There are many bonus tracks in the Perception set that are interesting and enjoyable. This one is not even as noteworthy as the mistaken vocal version of Wintertime Love from the old CDs (now THAT is easy to notice.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.