The Doors Live at Isle of Wight 1970, to be released in 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spyder52, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I've read mixed accounts about Jim drinking at IOW. Roger Daltrey has said he drank southern comfort with Jim, other sources say Jim didn't drink any booze backstage. I don't hear any drunkenness in Jim's voice ( thankfully !)- lord knows we have enough drunken Morrison live recordings to compare to.

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Since Ray has been dead since 2013, it's unlikely that he will be adding more usual self-indulgent comments.

footlooseman, Matthew Tate and asdf35 like this.
  3. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident

...why would Daltrey lie about drinking with Morrison ? That's what I ask myself. But as we all know now, Jim Morrison suffered from alcoholism, chronic disease of the brain which as of now there is no known cure. You can treat the disease but it's always there right beside you...lurking, waiting ; that night , this show/performance I believe Jimbo wasn't there. It was just Jim Morrison being himself and expressing his art form... sorry for rambling ....

Steve Simm likes this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Roger also says he witnessed an all-star jam session backstage at Monterey with Hendrix, Mama Cass, Townshend, etc. Townshend said it never happened. The audio evidence does not suggest Morrison was intoxicated. That doesn't mean he did not conceivably have a drink backstage, but the reports that he was not drinking seem more likely.

BDC, lovemygirl and reb like this.
  5. lovemygirl

...your correct :) it's been well documented and printed form/interview Jim perfere a small venue verse a large, but to me, it really all depends on what year we are talking about...

6. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

There are photos of Jimi with Who members backstage

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Let's be clear about this. By Jim Morrison standards, he does not sound drunk - if he was drinking it wasn't his usual amount of intake- imo.

8. lovemygirl

...my thought was to included it in the single box set on the blue ray disc. I thought if a good part of this release includes post Morrison music as it does, throw it on as bonus for the fans... :cheers:

9. lovemygirl

...I'm sorry you feel that way because I love ray for being ray manzarek...

Ray29 and Jimijam like this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

Yes, but the question is not whether Hendrix was present with The Who backstage. No one has ever suggested he wasn't. The alleged "jam session" is something else entirely.

BDC, tedg65, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  11. lovemygirl

...im sorry. I'm not saying Jim was drunk that night. He definitely had alcohol in his system I'm saying Jim had enough alcohol in his body to function normally...you see detoxing from alcohol ain't purty

12. lovemygirl

...if I remember correctly John densmore was on the same transportation to the festival with Jimi Hendrix or maybe it was Robby , or I might be confused with an other artists statement...:shh: or I might be thinking of Woodstock ...

13. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

The band was a little jetlagged based on comments Morrison gave to the press. They flew over during a pause in Miami trial.

But the band was certainly aware the performance was being filmed, the music press was present and there was a massive audience.

They had their professional reputations to uphold in front of the cameras, media and rock and roll peers.

These factors upped the stakes for the band over say a run of the mill 1970 show. Morrison is certainly not drunk (like he was in April in Boston or like he would be in December in New Orleans).

Instead, the film clips of IOW released to date shows Morrison taking the show very seriously and giving it a serious effort. His vocal inflections and articulations seemed like he was concentrating heavily on delivering a strong vocal performance that knew would be preserved forever in a documentary film, as well as scrutinized by the press and other bands in attendance.

While it's not the most exciting performance the band ever gave, I would venture to say it is a very good one, especially for 1970. I think a new multitrack mixdown (vs the circulating audio) and seeing the complete visuals may invite a reassessment of the performances.

14. lovemygirl

...perfectly said, great post :cool:

15. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

:laugh: Gotta love some of those bootleg titles...:laugh:

marmalade166 likes this.
  16. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Looking forward to IOW in 2018 -- but what is the status of the Complete Matrix box that Pats said is coming soon?

Matthew Tate and lovemygirl like this.
  17. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

There is lovely anecdote from Roger Daltrey which indeed indicates Jimi was playing solo

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I just listened to the whole show to get a fresh perspective. Certainly Krieger has done a lot of work on this to make it releasable- imo

19. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

I hope the Doors film will not be the last Murray Lerner project that will see the light of day. Years ago a Ten Years After DVD was reported to be withdrawn due to animosities between Alvin Lee and the rest of the guys:(

20. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I love this show... it is very chill and it is eerie because they asked for the lights to be turned off. It has a nice vibe. I am excited for it. The doors are my #3 favourite band.

lovemygirl and mark renard like this.
  21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Why do they need ML if all his film reels are catalogued and everything can be edited without him. I do like his interviews as bonus features, but did the Doors get him to sit down recently?

kees1954 and lovemygirl like this.
  22. lovemygirl

...here it is folks... :)

http://hightimes.com/culture/music/the-high-times-interview-robby-krieger/

...I had a feeling I was right about Robby being on the same plane ride to IOW with Jimi Hendrix...here it is folks, in robbys own words in this interview w/ Robby Krieger...

•Q- You must’ve gotten high with lots of other famous musicians over the years … care to toke and tell?
    •Robby- [Laughs] No, but I’ll tell you something about Jimi Hendrix. When we were on our way to the Isle of Wight Festival, Jimi and I were sitting next to each other on the plane, and all he kept saying was, “Here’s my phone number—when you get to London, if you score first, you call me; if I score first, I’ll call you.” And he kept saying that over and over.

•Q- So … who scored first?
    Robby- I’m sure he did … he never called.

23. lovemygirl

...I just have to say the footage of jim facial gestures durning the show and his ability to make use of his singing skills and performance like his body language , some head movement live he taken this entire crowd on a trip man...just think and imagining about how many people were standin out front of the stage
    Looking straight back at you? we all now about the films lighting issue but think about. Far out ..and plus you can see how jim inter acts with band Members on stage... I won't reveal the winner yet! ....:)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  24. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

Probably Murray produced The Doors IoW (shortly?) before his recent death. I hope so because he did a wonderful job on every project. It is up to his estate I guess if there is anything left that could be used for even more projects. Cf. Murray Lerner - Wikipedia

25. PacificOceanBlue

If there are too much contemporary guitar overdubs, that will be one way.

rnranimal and MikeP5877 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.