The Doors Live at Isle of Wight 1970, to be released in 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spyder52, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Doors Memo: Per our meeting on the 4th, please add this applause track to all future releases. It works well with the under 16 demographic. Also, add more skateboards to the website store.

2. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Well, today is release day and Amazon has yet to ship my order. Read the Freedom Man thread linked above, and the recent posts here. Turns out Amazon missing release date is a good thing, as it gave me the opportunity to cancel my order!!

I honestly can't believe what I'm reading. I can't blame them for what was or wasn't filmed back in 1970 (although it should have been mentioned in the press release if complete songs are missing band footage). However, overdubbed guitar & drum sampling? Out of order track list on the CD? Motorcycle sounds on the CD!? I mean in a long LONG list of screw ups over the years, this release appears to be near the top of the list. First world problem I know, but pretty awful from a fan perspective.

3. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Did the same exact thing.

4. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

cancelled!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

For me, it's sad to do that. Like many of us, I'd been looking forward to a video release of Isle of Wight for years. However, I just can't reward them for shockingly incompetent decision making/quality control.

6. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Just Melbourne worked for me.

rnranimal likes this.
  7. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Hey, maybe Jampol can overdub some San Francisco Cable Car noises on the Complete Matrix Box Set that Pats keeps saying is going to be released one day.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of the 2CD Live At The Matrix release from 3rd generation tapes! Maybe they will memorialize it with a 10th anniversary deluxe package with first generation tapes!

8. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Were there at least real motorcycles at IoW? Was it to induce an air of menace to the proceedings? I'm not getting the logic ... why not the sounds of stampeding horses, or a plane flying over the festival grounds ... why a motorcycle?

rnranimal and Doctor Flang like this.
  9. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Maybe Pats can answer that question. He is suddenly mysteriously quiet.

10. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Believe me, I've wanted a Complete Matrix Box Set as much as anyone here. It's #1 on my Doors wish list, and has been for about 10 years now. However, the more I think about it, the reality sets in that they'd probably find a way to screw that up, too.

The hit to miss ratio is getting to be pretty poor.

11. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

He's listening to the 2nd Fog reel.

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Sadly so did I

13. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I haven't seen the film, but i guess that there must be footage of some motorcycle guy. Maybe the decision to include a CD was just a afterthought and they didn't make a seperate edit for it?

...Or maybe The Doors started their show just when Judas Priest were about to start their encores and Rob Halford rode his Harley on stage?

14. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

He is trying to find footages with Harley-Davidson at 2a.m close to the stage.

15. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Fire Jampol!
    Fire that cat to end all this nonsense screwing the legacy of one of the best band ever stepped on stage.

16. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Thanks. That was the one I didn't get to before they locked me. Will maybe try it again some other time.

17. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

I agree, but Robby and John could have said "No, don't mess with the tapes, we want it as/is". They were obviously willing to overdub their respective parts and sign off on the fake crowd noise.

18. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

In the shoes of Jampol, a competent folk could have easily explained them why it serves more harm than any good. But then again, it's Jeff. Jeff is all around on this release.

rnranimal likes this.
  19. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

I know I haven't posted in this thread as of yet but I've been quietly monitoring this discussion throughout. I too pre-ordered this set as soon as announced. Despite some of the grumblings here I've remained optimistic about this release....we have been asking for it for a long time after all! But after listening to this on Spotify just now....

Wow. Just wow. I cancelled my order before Roadhouse Blues even finished. Sure the video footage would have been nice to have but based on what I've already seen released I really won't be missing anything aside from badly snyc'd, incomplete footage and truly egregious editing choices.

What happened here? This is....I don't even know what this is. It's almost like Doors Management saw all the complaints regarding previous releases and said "Hold My Beer."

Back to my safe space in Grateful Dead land I suppose.

20. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yeah, it may very well have been Robby & John's idea to do the overdubs. However, if band management has the authority to veto Robby regarding the Boot Yer Butt Volume 2 release, he should have been able to tell them "no".

Somebody dropped the ball, though, that much is clear.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  21. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

If it makes you feel better, I haven't seen anything yet as you have to wait for mod approval to see the forum.

rnranimal likes this.
  22. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I love the Grateful Dead. One of my favorite bands. However, I love the Doors even more. The never ending screw ups with Doors product is pretty frustrating & painful. All of this complaining is done out of love for the band.

Anyway, I wish every legacy band more or less used the Grateful Dead as a template on how to reissue vault material.

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Devo 1980 DVD has both a undubbed audio of the concert on one sound layer and another layer has all the modern overdubs. DVD/Blu technology allows artists multiple audio and video options.

Six Bachelors, rnranimal and Shawn like this.
  24. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

To be fair to The Doors, they are probably thinking "huh? we've always overdubbed and added fake applause." Sadly.

25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.