The Doors Live at Isle of Wight 1970, to be released in 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spyder52, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident

...I don't lie :D ...I figured everyone seems happy about the singles set I thought I would spread a little more good with the IOW release date my friends :):shh: ....

2. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

so, Strange Days deluxe will be on Dec 17? of course with Matrix Samplers,

what about RSDBF? Live at the MAtrix March 10th?

3. lovemygirl

...some cool vinyl records are being prepared...
    ....strange days 50th anniv. release coming...and more matrix releases are fast approaching ...:righton:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Kat Records likes this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Perhaps. But The Doors have created their own timing when it comes to the Matrix. They have had the masters for nearly a decade. It isn't as if the timing has not been there for an official release. Since 2009, there has been a number of periods within each calendar year to release the Matrix, particularly several fourth quarter slots. Yes, there are a number of internal issues to deal with, particularly with all the parties who allegedly have to sign off on every release/decision (although, without truly knowing the terms of the agreements that have been signed with JAM, that may not be the case), and there are record label considerations with Warner's support of product (Warner allegedly shut down the LA Woman box set, leaving it to The Doors to finance, with The Doors choosing not to take on the financial burden, ultimately aborting the entire thing), but the band's management has been sitting on the last truly great archival tapes that it has -- the most sought after recordings by long time enthusiasts. A limited edition run along the lines of what The Grateful Dead have done through mainstream Warner/Rhino box set releases would sell-out without a doubt because this is not the same kind of product as a hits release, larger-scale box sets are typically purchased by deeper fans. And another element to timing is the state of commercial retail -- with every passing year, the sales potential diminishes. The band and Warner will only have themselves to blame if the Matrix ultimately underperforms at retail. This is not about a brilliant management team planning out the ultimate release date like some sort of chess match, the bottom line is Jampol dropped the ball with the Matrix starting in 2008, and has yet to rectify the mistake nearly a decade later. Impressive timing indeed.

5. PacificOceanBlue

You do realize, unlike The Doors' management, that a lot of long-time fans of the band were less than thrilled with the 50th anniversary box set for the debut album. Unless Strange Days includes some actual session outtake material, it will be the third box set blunder in a row -- 1) London Fog, 2) Debut album, 3) Strange Days (?).

6. lovemygirl

...I absolutely understand your feeling regarding The Matrix releases thus far and your thoughts are totally valid points and I dig you.
    But The Doors make decisions if we like them or not...I just wanna take it all in as the estates create new releases for the old and new Doors fans alike....

7. lovemygirl

....why set yourself up, just sit back and enjoy what we have and hope for what we want...
    I understand everything your sharing....this is the Doors , can't be that surprise huh :)

8. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I understand and respect your points. However, I do have a few rebuttals:

-What would be a better time to have released the box than the 50th anniversary of the concerts? This has been debated many times before, but, IMO....they could have released the Matrix complete for it's anniversary, and found something else to include as bonus material on the First album box (studio outtakes, the 1965 audition demos, Fillmore Soundboard with the missing drum track, etc, etc).

-I understand it's a business, and I agree that a complete Matrix box would be for the hardcore fan. So, with that said, wouldn't the hardcore fan (us) buy it regardless of when it was released?

-I've never completely bought into the crowding the market with too many releases concept. Many other bands (Grateful Dead, for example) issue numerous vault releases per year and I don't think it affects their sales one bit. If crowding the market is such a concern to them, than it should have been the 'Singles' release delayed and not Matrix.

Anyway, this is a Isle of Wight thread and I'm happy to hear the Blu-ray will be released in January. I just have 10 years worth of pent up frustration in regards to Matrix.

9. PacificOceanBlue

How dare you question JAM!

10. lovemygirl

... please don't shoot the messenger...I'm just sharing what I know...I can't comment on the Doors business strategies and stuff...I'm sorry.

11. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

+1

tedg65 and lovemygirl like this.
  12. lovemygirl

...you guys can be such ballbusters ...

13. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Coming from a guy or gal who doesn't have a clue how the business works. Likes to guess a lot but that isn't worth much. Next!

lovemygirl likes this.
  14. lovemygirl

...I thought everyone would be happy with the news of IOW release...:confused:

15. Pats Radio

Conventiantly fails to mention the new vinyl box which is terrific BTW. Nothing to see here people, move along.

lovemygirl likes this.
  16. Pats Radio

Didn't you get the memo? "Some" people love to b!tch.

lovemygirl likes this.
  17. lovemygirl

...just remind yourselves , IOW , multi tracks...
    ...This a rare occasion for the Doors, with not many multi track in their vault...

Pats Radio likes this.
  18. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Pats - thanks. You mentioned The Doors have the 2nd London Fog tape. Do you still believe that to be true, and if so, why didn't The Doors include the 2nd tape reel in the London Fog Box set?

Matthew Tate, Shawn and lovemygirl like this.
  19. Pats Radio

They (fans) will buy it whenever it's released. That's why they can release it whenever they see fit. They already know it's a winner and WILL sell.

lovemygirl likes this.
  20. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I'm happy and is a definite buy.

lovemygirl and Pats Radio like this.
  21. lovemygirl

...I'm just wondering what were the complaints referring to? The LP, the matrix sampler? The cds mastering by Bruce, the packaging , lack of linear notes...just trying to better understand this... :)

22. lovemygirl

...I got one... :edthumbs:...can I get a second ? :shh:

Pats Radio likes this.
  23. lovemygirl

...wow , ok :tiphat: then ....peace be with you all...

Pats Radio likes this.
  24. Pats Radio

I'm a lock. Count me in for sure.

25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm in for a CD

lovemygirl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.