The Doors - Live Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

2. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

That gets my vote too! I know the quality is way below par on "Vol. 1", but at least it's honest. Hard to tamper with the truth.

sekaer, Matthew Tate and Pats Radio like this.
  3. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Is there a comprehensive list of that is 'wrong' with IoW? It's the only Doors release I didn't purchase. I know there's a drum track, incorrect song order and the motorcycle issue. Other than those is there more? What is the extent of the Drum tracking (all songs, just certain parts?)

I don't have a big problem with SOME corrections (the harmonica on Felt Forum), but it sounded like IoW was a mess...but I feel silly not listening to it if people are being extreme or it's not that bad.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  4. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

This subject has been beaten to a drum. Does 5-10 seconds make people not buy a over an hour show? By a iconic band? Please. As predicted here there are several people who “claimed” they were “never” buying it (place joke here) for those reasons and what happened? THEY BOUGHT IT! And liked it. Geez, what a shock. Either they buckled because true fans want it no matter what or they got tired of getting called out for ripping a show they never heard or saw in full. Brilliant. Not sure but the truth is everybody who bought it has come back saying either they loved it (me) or liked it and glad they bought it.

I think people need to think on their own and not follow the fellowship of the miserable crowd. They’ll bring anybody down. IOW release is superb. Well worth the money. Don’t like the tweaks? Well nothing is perfect and that’s the way the band wanted it. Period.

Doggiedogma and Flynbryan like this.
  5. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Maybe with fan feedback, the band won't "want it" that way next time. Ok, thanks.

6. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It really depends on how picky you are. I streamed it today and listened to it for the first time and I found 2 things that annoyed me so much as to make me decide I won't buy it: first, I was struggling to hear the band starting Roadhouse Blues and it wasn't the motorcycle sound, it was the added, over-the-top crowd noise; and second, the sampled drums, making the drumming sometimes fairly artificial, sometimes terribly fake (I especially remember one roll in the middle of When The Music's Over that was absolutely painful.) I'm a big fan of drumming and Densmore is one of my all-time favourites, so this was a tough listen in that respect, especially because the sampling is not constant and homogeneous, it appears on and off throughout the show making for a very jarring listen. Having a drummer as dynamic as John Densmore and hearing the flow of his snare roll reduced to an unnatural machine-like sound (it reminded me of something out of the late 80s, only without the massive reverb), is a crime to my ears.

Best course of action if you're on the fence is listen to it first and decide for yourself. I listened and decided I won't buy it because I just don't want to listen to this version of the show ever again. I much prefer the natural-sounding, great-quality original.

Doggiedogma and asdf35 like this.
  7. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Any show from the ‘68 tour would be great!

Matthew Tate and Pats Radio like this.
  8. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Either Seattle or Bakersfield....those are the ones I listen to most......or New Orleans if possible.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

"Tweaks" are one thing....drum sampling on a supposedly "live" album is way outta the ballpark.
    And besides, the bootleg from DAT source is perfectly fine.....why they needed to screw with it is what causes anger with fans, Pats.

10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

After The Matrix Box? Hmmm. How about Seattle?

Doggiedogma and Pats Radio like this.
  11. There’s also added applause and new guitar work. I still ask myself why they bother to go to all that extra work when the unadulterated source material sounds more than fine.

12. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Seattle? How about Miami? That’s right,I said it! Bakersfield before Seattle Please.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

2 disc WFTS release for the 50th this year with a bonus DVD. Full length song performances from the FOF filming sessions(outside Hollywood Bowl) that have never been seen match with audience audio. Plus add HILY and Texas Big Beat Hollwood Bowl from the audience audio matched up with the mostly unseen close ups of Jim in 4:3 OAR and without digital scrubbing. There has to be 45 minutes of video content here with higher repeat value than most of the recent Doors releases.

As an aside, is there not a way to "reverse the wave" effect on the J. Winters TV clip of LMF? Extra bonus.

14. Pats Radio

Fair enough, as I said earlier but maybe they had to. I don’t know. Maybe it wasn’t good enough for whatever reason. We don’t know. I’m guessing it wasn’t because if it was there would be no need to do it.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  15. Pats Radio

Is there a Miami reel or whatever which would be good enough for a official release? I’ve never heard there was. I could be wrong.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  16. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

How about live from the Romper Room?

rnranimal likes this.
  17. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Miami is decent enough as an audience recording, maybe with some cleaning up....but you're mostly gonna hear a drunken Jim berating the audience and sorta trying to incite some "activity" rather than any musical merit.....still it is a fascinating document.

18. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

I was joking about Miami. I know it will never get an official release. Any show from ‘68 or Bakersfield if it must be another ‘70 show. Did The Doors play at romper room? Har-de-har-har

Pats Radio likes this.
  19. SoundAdvice

I have a 13 item list that could have made it a better final product:

1. motorcycle in the CD for 10 seconds
    2. songs out of order on the CD
    3. band introduction on the CD after they have played a song
    4. sampled drums
    5. 2017 Kreiger overdubs(using a pick now, fingers in 1970)
    6. 1080i vs 1080p video quality on other IOW blu-rays.
    7. missing backstage IOW Jim audio interview
    8. further interviews in the bonus or Kreiger/Densmore commentary track(I don't think they've done a full length interview together since the 90's laserdisc)
    9. widescreen presentation of film shot in fullscreen(The Taste IOW blu-ray offers both)
    10. Audio options on the blu-ray could have offered 2017 fixes as well as unadulterated all 1970 mix
    11. could have offered alternat angles on the 3 songs that have lots of camera coverage
    12. not disclosing the Botnick fixes, when he says in the 2012 HB blu-ray that they have to remain honest with fans.
    13. Silly added audience that sound nothing like a 2am crowd on the 3rd day of a festival.

I haven't bought it and will open pick it up if I see it cheap used own the road.

Yet the leaked mix of the multi track has no issues. I think Kreiger/botnick started with fixing a couple clam guitar notes, then went overboard. Surround sound issues may have also motivated Botnick to take drums out of mono-land.

20. Pats Radio

Oh, so you have ALL the answers. Got it. “Then went overboard.” Good one. Thanks, I needed a good laugh. I’m pretty surprised you’d even pick up a cheap copy because according to you it’s so bad. Hmmmmm that’s new. Have you watched it yet? Like on YouTube or something since you don’t own yet? Suuuuuuuuure you don’t. :righton:

Please tell us what other expert things could have been better? Seriously, I’m all ears. Maybe we should pass these along to the appropriate people so future releases could be saved from this “overboard” production.

:-popcorn:

21. Pats Radio

Lol. That’s on the other forum. Plenty of complaints and miss information there. All set thanks.

22. SoundAdvice

Rewatch the Botnick interview on the H-Bowl blu-ray where he praises pro-tools software and then look at my list of improvements. I also strongly suspect the added CD was last minute request from Eagle Rock, which would explain all the bulk of the IOW potential customer complaints. The youtube clips show lots of time was spent doing video edits, but the final package felt thrown together from the online photos I've seen.

I have no problem not buying Doors stuff that goes beyond the core live/Studio CD/DVD catalogue. I happily skipped every RSD release, skipped the 4 times that the "21st Century Doors" played my market and have never owned any Doors clothing or posters.

Seeing how Pats has failed to deconstruct even a single one of my 13-14 points only reinforces them.

Any sales number in yet for IOW? The 2017 RSD matrix sampler shows they can sell 15,000 of something in a single day if they don't mess it up too much. The Fog box didn't even sell 3,000 copies to get on the billboard chart it's first week.

23. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Finally listened to the IOW release. The snare, at times, sounds a little too processed, too loose, and, maybe too much snap to them. It almost has this hitting an old school garbage can lid effect to my ears. It sounds out of place against the rest of the recording.
    I'm not too familiar with all of Robbie's playing on this show, so I didn't spot any overdubbing. I'll have to dig out my copy from way back when and compare. Right now, I don't recall if I only had Palace Of Exile, and something cleaner. I do recall a cleaner copy popping up a few years ago, but I might be confusing it with another Doors show.

Granted, I listened to the whole thing in my car. I have no idea what kind of speakers are in the car. No, I wont tell you what I drive, cause it doesn't matter. I will spin this at home at some point. While I never filled out my profile, I can tell you I have Polk TS 330. Nothing special, but not drek.
    Still, it might sound bright in the living room as I have zero carpet in my entire place. Wood floors rule.

The whole thing sounds clear as a bell. It almost sounds too polished.
    The bike, is very out of place, and wasn't the smartest addition. That said, it isn't hard to see why the bike is there. It is a biker song. If anything, adding a Shelby Cobra would have made more sense. That, of course, would have been dumb as well.
    As for adding crowd noise, it is a live show. If it wasn't added, people would moan about it.
    I do wonder if anyone on the board was at the IOW, and can tell us what they recall.

I said I'll pick it up used, but I think I have a Best Buy gift card that should get spent. This way, it costs me less money!

Doggiedogma and asdf35 like this.
  24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Which is a silly decision to begin with when the source material is what it is. Plenty of concert DVDs out there with only a stereo sound track, there's no need to make everything 5.1.

My theory is that they rightly wanted to turn a filmed/multi-tracked show into a proper worthy release, but knowing it's not one of their best performances they decided they had to pimp it somehow. Hence the messy end result.

25. Pats Radio

Sigh. The CD was in the project from day 1. It wasn’t last minute. Roll eyes here. See see see how sound advice didn’t answer if he actually watched it? See? Yawn.

I don’t think they’re worried about chart lists on small limited edition releases like the Fog box. They care about sales. And sales have been right on track with the other limited releases which they have done. And done well. Bottom line on IOW, either buy it or don’t but the complaints on here and at romper room (FM) forum are in the small minority. Very small. The large majority (see reviews all over) and Doors fans I talk to loved it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.