The Doors "Love Me Two Times" 45 RPM / CD edit question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Folks,

On Bob's thread someone mentioned that a CD has the short version of "Two Times" on it.

"Love Me Two Times" is a song that really rocks in the edited single version. The edit sustains the excitement. The album version dies at the edit point, and lays there until it gets going again.

Now, since I don't have time to read that entire thread over, is someone saying that the edited version has appeared on CD? In mono or stereo?

If so, it must have been a contemporary edit. The old mono 45 edit pieces were spliced back in to the mono LP master mix (which still survives) years and years ago.

I'm confused.:)

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

So are you saying that the mono master for the first Doors LP is lost but that the one for "Strange Days" survives?

I bet Jac Holzman has the first LP mono master at home!(Probably played it at one of those groovy sixties parties!):laugh:

Can't answer your question though, sorry.

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

The way I read the thread on that was that the edited verion of Light My Fire was put on a CD single with the unedited verion of Two Times.

4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, I think you misinterpreted.

The statement was that a CD-5 (Elektra 45051, the same number as the old "Spun Gold" 45) had a short version of "Light My Fire" 3:04 b/w Love Me Two Times 3:15.

I then mused:
    Interesting in that this CD used the full version (unedited) of "Love Me Two Times", which also was issued edited on 45, and an edited version of "Light My Fire." This CD single doesn't use the "Love Me Two Times" edit, but does use an edit of "Light My Fire," which may or may not be the same edit as on the 1967 45, which is listed as clocking at 2:52.

I, too, think that "Love Me Two Times" loses some of its momentum in its full-length version.

5. Steve Hoffman

OK, I got it assed backwards.

But, I'm confused again. I'm pretty sure the edited single version of "Light My Fire" was dumped. What are they using as a source? It's mono, right?

6. tim_neely

Not owning the CD single in question, my suspicion is that the edit that appears there is a new creation based on the original stereo LP track. I've sometimes heard an edit on the radio that Pat Downey would call a "noble attempt" to re-create the single version, but it isn't the single version. All this version does is chop out most of the long instrumental, not realizing that other edits were made after the big cut was done. Perhaps this is where that "new radio edit" comes from.

7. peter

peter Senior Member

I think the real point here is that Steve MUST do the first 3 Doors LP's in mono, along with all subsequent mono 45's, edits and non-edits. Steve's DCC Doors LP's are excellent and, owning nice clean copies of the first two LP's in MONO, I can only smile when I think of the magic Steve would work on these LP's. Question: Was Waiting For The Sun (the LP) a fold-down?

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Steve, I have the CD-5 and LMF is indeed, in stereo.

Mud-

9. Steve Hoffman

Crap.

Well, the hit version is gone I guess. Impossible to recreate those edits and tempo changes I think.

Save your old 45's.

10. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I have!:D

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Re: Re: The Doors "Love Me Two Times" 45 RPM / CD edit question

The edit of "Light My Fire" on that CD single is NOT the original 45 RPM edit. The original 45 is also faster and is mono.

12. Grant

Hah! I have recreated the original single edits with Cool Edit. I also sped it up like the single. And if one is careful (and has the patience), one can also recreate the exact tempo changes.

13. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Grant,

You appear to be getting pretty adept at re-creation of the correct single versions these days!

Super!

Bob

14. Grant

Bob,

I've been doing it for ten years! First with using the pause button on a cassette recorder, or razor blade editing, and now with Cool Edit. I have done dozens over the years. I usually can use the original 45 as the reference. sometimes I can use my memory. Sometimes it's just more fun to create new edits that are better or fit your needs.

You would be surprised at how complicated some of those original single edits are! It's amazing they did what they did with razor blades! But, with digital editing available, who would really want to go back to it? I know! Steve does it, and the skill is neccesary for repairing master tapes.

It's so cool! If you can't get it on CD or find the single, just do it in the computer!

15. Bob Lovely

Grant,

Yes, I have observed this to be one of your "gifts". I am well aware of the sweat equity that went into those original single edits or that goes in to creating one today from an LP version of a track. For a singles-oriented program, the single edit versions are essential. I will be posting 1968 very soon. I fully expect that there will be discussions on this very subject. Your thoughts will be important as we work through the years going forward!

Bob

16. tim_neely

Try "Evil Woman" by Electric Light Orchestra. Something like a dozen edits, the single sped up by about half a tone, all to get rid of less than a minute ... and the UA 45 still makes little sense, especially after you've heard the LP cut. No, I've never tried to re-duplicate it, though I know someone who has.

My system doesn't have a cassette "pause" button sensitive enough to be able to do this. My dad's old cassette deck did -- long gone to the scrap heap, alas, because it had its other problems. But I'd love to have that pause button....I even made a couple of my own "break-in" recordings using that cassette deck, a turntable and an external microphone. I'd love to transfer them to a CD-R, but the cassette itself is broken (the leader has detached from one of the reels) and I hesitate to try to fix it without knowing what I am doing.

17. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Grant, I know what software you use. What's you methodology for editing? Once I read a WAV file into CE2K I am at a loss on what to do. I use to do better with my reel-to-reel recorder.

18. Bob Lovely

Mud,

Do you still have that reel recorder? If so, what make and model...just curious!

Bob

19. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Bob, you ARE asking me to walk downstairs, aren't you???

Sheesh, the thing I do around here....:D

Hang on....mumbling as he walks downstairs....

Well, that wasn't so bad. I had to scoop the cat litter boxes anyways.

Sony TC-280, Bob.

Mud-

20. Bob Lovely

Mud,

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am not familiar with that make and model. I remember when Sony used to sell them, however. Has it been a faithful machine? I have a circa 1983 TEAC X-1000R. It still makes great sounding tapes but, it shows it's age, none the less. Great for editing!

Thanks for checking!

Bob:)

21. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Bob, I bought that in 1973 (I think) by saving the change in my pocket every day. It cost $199 then. That's about $800 in 2002 dollars.

You are gonna kill me for this next one. A friend gave me a used Ampex QUAD reel-to-reel deck with wired remote. I must have tossed it. It weighed a ton!

As to the Sony I haven't used it in years. I used to make comps to listen to. Once cassette took over the reel-to-reel was unplugged cause now I could make comps for the car. Plus reel tape really got difficult to find.

Who knew???

22. Bob Lovely

Mud,

That AMPEX was a gem!--too bad! For my project, I will make the the "masters" on reel tape and then dub them down in real time to CD-R. I will then make 1X CD-R copies, as I desire, from the CD-R "master dubs". I will still listen to the Reel "masters" when I am in the mood. My machine was expensive, even by 1983 standards--$800 and even then, I received a whopping discount. I buy reel tape from a "pro" sound house here in Wisconsin.

Interesting!

Bob:)

23. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Bob, $800 1973 dollars = $1,436.95 2002 dollars.

M-

24. Bob Lovely

Mud,

How about $800 1983 dollars in 2002 dollars?

Bob

25. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Bob, OOPS! That was 1983 dollars. My typo.

M-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.