The Doors' Robby Krieger Talks 50th Anniversary Plans, Re-Releases & Newly Unearthed Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

less than 4 total hours of recorded studio music and they have milked it for 50 years....amazing, simply amazing....who on god's great earth keeps buying this stuff? someone is, or they wouldn't be making it.

i have literally lost track of how many times those 6 albums have been redone, it has to be over 5 times each by now, if not more.

2. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Damn shame Ray isn't here to join in. I think the three would've done something.
    I know I give oldies acts a bit of stick here but the fact is THESE guys could still
    do it. They don't need a vocalist and in my opinion utterly ruins it. They would've
    made a fine jazz collective in their own right. Sadly, that's come to pass.

3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Very true. I'm at the point now, not just with the Doors but with all of the artists of that vintage that I like, where unless it's an archival live release or some newly unearthed rare studio stuff I've never heard before, I'm not buying it.

rockclassics and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

5. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

What about Perception?

6. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

The hi-res downloads of the original albums sound great to me. 99% sure that I will never buy digital versions of the core catalog (original mixes) again.

I'd love to see a Matrix box and any other decent-sounding live releases that they could dredge up, however. Maybe put some of those OOP Bright Midnight releases back in print. That Philly show is a gaping hole in my Doors collection...

7. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I'd like to see a first and last release....London Fog packaged with New Orleans 1970.
    Unless they put all the recording session info in the booklets I'm not planning on buying any more Doors studio LP reissues.

8. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I am all in for studio out takes, alternate versions but no more live stuff.

Shawn likes this.
  9. ZEP77

ZEP77 Houston/Pontiac '77 Video. Where are you?

10. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

I'll say the studio outtakes are on 9 Cd's to the buyer
    Why can't The Doors get them back didn't The Beatles recover Get Back reels from bootleggers
    I just want to hear these outtakes and believe The Doors are not looking to buy these tapes back
    I would be all over these people with the tapes
    Thanks

11. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

That Matrix box is one of my most anticipated future releases by any band. The London Fog (especially if they found the 2nd reel) is right up there as well.

I don't know how well they would sell, but I'd love to have some of the Bright Midnight shows on AAA Vinyl. The Detroit show in particular would be a must have for me.

12. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

No more live stuff? You must be kidding.

J Vanarsdale and Revolver like this.
  13. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I'd still go for live stuff and studio outtakes as long as they're not tied to buying the studio albums again (again).

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

They could put out Jim's infamous Scene Club jam with Jimi Hendrix again and market the heck out of it! "Hear Jim grab Jimi's regals and sing chestnuts like 'Whooooooe Eeeeh'."

15. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Yeah, that is one bizarre "performance."

Lost In The Flood and DTK like this.
  16. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

28% buyer's premium seems a little steep!

17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I mean, that show's only been released about a dozen times...

Meanwhile, though we have audio of Jim and Jimi, there doesn't seem to exist even a single photo of the two of them together.

DTK likes this.
  18. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Probably in the FBI files....

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah, that's kind of annoying. Both were photographed more than most humans, but they only met a couple of times. A photo from that wild night at Scene Club would be awesome. Apparently Janis Joplin was there as well.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

IIRC they were yanked before the auction.

21. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Literally no. They're getting as bad as Queen.

I have that 40th Anniversary box. And while I appreciate the low price point (and some of the mixes are quite good), all I need is that and maybe a set of the originals.

22. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Imagine her replies to "FHITA".

Cake and DTK like this.
  23. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Going to see Robby live this Wednesday in NJ. I'm excited to see him as I've never seen any of the surging members of The Doors live. I figured I gotta get off my ass and see him before its to late. I regret not seeing Mazerek and Krieger when they played right in my town a few years ago.

Anyone know who's in his band? I heard Tommy Mars from Zappa is playing with him which should be cool.

24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Ian Astbury is done, yes?

25. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i just want a matrix box and isle of wight blu-ray...

thats all i need :D

Pats Radio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.