The Doors' Strange Days 50th Edition Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murch

murch Forum Resident

I think it sounds great except for the issues with WTMO...anybody know if the RSD mono has the same drops in quality at the same spots?

2. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

This is disappointing to hear about WTMO. Other than that song, most others I'd be interested in hearing in mono are on the Singles set that just came out. (I realize they might be different mono mixes than the Singles set, but I'm not too worried about that)

3. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

I have the doors a collection CD box set. I'm good.

4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Not even owning the mono mix can tempt you?

5. Jupitermadcat

Not really. Don't care about Mono.

6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Same here. I have never understood the attraction to mono...especially albums.

I suspect the single stereo disc will be available soon if not already for about $5 or $6. I know i saw the first album 50th anniversary version for $5.99 at Best Buy awhile back.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

which one is that?

8. murch

murch Forum Resident

Well the mono here is a dedicated mix...and since it was 67, probably the one “finished” first.

rock76 likes this.
  9. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

It's the box set with the 40th Anniversary remixes in cardboard sleeves. No bonus tracks.

It's on Amazon for $30ish. Inexpensive way to get all 6 40th remixes

10. KAT comes thru again

11. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Owning the DCC Gold. The Doors of Perception DVD-A box, and the RSD Mono (and just for good measure the Paul Rothchild mastered CD)... I really can't imagine I'd ever need to buy this title again. Save for maybe a great deal on a 1st press LP.

12. Michael

OK, thanks...I have the cube that still works for me.

13. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

I got one online. Only 2k units.

14. Jupitermadcat

15. Michael

16. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Just found one too!

so, this is the 2017 stereo remaster, right?

17. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I was pleased with the sound of the mono Japanese SHM-CD for the self-titled. Will definitely be picking up the same for Strange Days. Love me some Doors in mono.

18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The chewed up spots in When the Music's Over mono are pretty disappointing. Also, is anyone else hearing clicks and a volume drop right at the loudest click in the beginning of You're Lost Little Girl?

IDwithnoE and murch like this.
  19. Jupitermadcat

It definitely works for me.

20. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

got all the mono of the beatles and most (if not all ;) ) of them are much more better and different from the stereo. Also got "their satanic majesties request" in mono , far better than the stereo, more punchy even if there is not much mixing difference. Bought the mono 1st doors in downloading… and , well, i prefer the stereo. Strange days is one of my favorite album, but is it worth in this CD edition in mono ?

21. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

I can't say I prefer the mono version here, but definitely Beatles stuff is a must have. Also, the Perception box with the 40th mixes has all the bonus tracks.

To me these 50th mixes of the originals are nearly perfect. I don't see how any real Doors fan could be disappointed. The packaging has been stellar on both releases, especially the 3 disc Japanese S/T.

22. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

the mono is fantastic on this ! love it ! very powerful

Pats Radio likes this.
  23. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

The liner notes does mention that there is some issues that they could not correct with the Mono When The Music's Over.

24. murch

murch Forum Resident

Ah! That’s the problem with buying the hdtracks version I guess, no liner notes. Thanks

25. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Got my 2CD package. Actually pretty well done, I like that now we have booklet, some notes from Bruce and original tapes photo inside. Going to compare mono remaster on CD to the RSD mono vinyl tomorrow. All in all sounds good with the exception of some problems on When the Music's Over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.