The Doors - Waiting for the Sun and 1968 tour 50th anniversary discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Flynbryan, Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm sure they would make moves to try and make it sound better than simply combining the two channels. EQ, balancing, phase, whatever. But I still fail to see any value in listening to a stereo mix in mono, extra processing or not. It's not actually different.

2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I guess it’s a matter of historical interest. Based on the first two anniversary sets, we know that they won’t put on anything juicy if this even happens. We might as well get something other than the album. The only other thing I can see them doing is a one-sided 45 that plays Summer’s Almost Gone from the Matrix. Yikes.

rnranimal and SteveM like this.
  3. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

Or you could see it as half full... ;)

4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

The Beatles have toddler shirts. KISS have toddler shirts. Doesn’t matter who, and nobody will start thinking differently about thr band becsuse of it.

5. Does anyone else think they'll release an album of blues / cover songs from The Matrix for the next RSD? They are clearly set on milky the fans dry with successive Matrix samplers before they release the mother lode. In order to milk this thing properly they have to leave only the two unheard instrumental jams behind as the raison d'etre for the "Complete". Besides alternative performances of the songs already released since May 2017, what have they got apart from 'covers' to reissue next as a sampler?

6. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

I don’t think you’ll see more Matrix samplers from here on out. The next time will just be the complete set.

7. That's fine, but when?!!!!! It's a decade since the last stand-alone CD release.

Those of you who have bought the 50th of the s/t, what do you think of the Matrix CD and the overall presentation of the album?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

So far, BMA has not put out a single live release that we didn´t know about. What they are doing with the Matrix master tapes is obscene.

tedg65 and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That will probably remain the case. The Doors simply do not have unknown/undocumented live tapes in the archives. Perhaps they will acquire a surprise here and there, but it seems doubtful. Furthermore, BMA does not really operate in the way that it originally did when it was BMR, i.e. a mail-order collector's label. Since 2005, all BMA product has been mainstream, and it is difficult to imagine the present-day BMA releasing lo-fidelity recordings (Vancouver was probably the exception). The Matrix recordings will likely be reissued with the BMA moniker, but for all intents and purposes, it will be a mainstream WB release. BMA's active days are behind it.

Matthew Tate and Doggiedogma like this.
  10. I never purchased the archival releases back in the day when it was officially BMA, only after 2009 when it became BMR. Are there any differences in the CD's which were originally mail order only and the reissues after the licensing through Rhino?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

Just the price. The BMR product (Detroit, Aquarius, Backstage & Dangerous, Boot Yer Butt!, interview discs, No One Here Gets Out Alive radio show) was expensive.

Matthew Tate, Doggiedogma and SteveM like this.
  12. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Steve, the Matrix Cd sounds terrible, and of course the vinyl too; but this years vinyl sounds great!

about the presentation, not was great but good enough i think, the worst part is that SD 50th doesn't use the same format

13. That's interesting as I have just bought the 50th S/T because I found an opened copy very cheaply. I agree about the packaging and the lack of continuity re: Strange Days BUT having played the Matrix CD I don't understand what is "terrible" about it. On my system I thought it sounds very good, considering the recording quality and limitations of the venue / source. Is it because it has a "narrowed" stereo image? In all honesty I couldn't fault the CD; it isn't compressed or loud or harsh EQ'd. In fact I think it's quite the opposite but maybe I'm missing the point? I'd like to know what others think.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Soundslave likes this.
  14. I do.

Six Bachelors and SteveM like this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

I agree, I do not hear anything overtly problematic such as compression, loudness or harsh EQ'd with the 50th Matrix compilation disc. That said, the Matrix recordings do have limitations -- it isn't as if they recordings were multitracked. I think some fans think they should sound better than they do or ever will.

Pats Radio and SteveM like this.
  16. There is at least one dedicated mono mix (Wintertime Love) on the mono LP. And who knows, maybe there's more - for years a lot of people thought the mono Strange Days album was a fold... then two or three songs were determined to have dedicated mono mixes. Now it's been determined that the whole mono LP has a dedicated mix. The mono LP of WFTS is so rare I don't think enough have been able to listen to determine exactly what's there. But even if it's only Wintertime Love, I'd still enjoy it (but I can see why others wouldn't, no argument there).

Throw on the alternate stereo versions of Summer's Almost Gone and Wintertime Love that have slipped out over the years and the mono singles, at least it's gathering everything that's been officially released up to this point together in one place. Plus things like Not To Touch The Earth from the 40th anniversary disc. Yes I'd greatly prefer new outtakes/demos over all of this but I have a strong belief that this isn't an option the band/estates is willing to consider.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't have a problem with the sound quality of the Matrix CD within the 50th Anniversary reissue of the debut album. You're quite right, some people have perhaps unrealistic expectations given the limitations of the original recording, especially when they think about the use of master tapes in this context. I'm sure I recall some fans querying the EQ'ing and other mastering decisions when compared to the 'flat transfer' of the reels demoed on YouTube about a decade or so ago?

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  18. Pats Radio

I would agree with some above here that I’m not sure what people are expecting regarding the sound quality for the Matrix tapes which are 50 yrs old and weren’t exactly done professionally. There’s only so much BB can do with them. The Matrix release is being discussed on how to release them and on what format(s). Of course what the doors want to do and what the label will do maybe totally different. There is a lot that goes into any release which is another thing I think people have a misconception about.

SteveM likes this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

The Doors have had a decade to "discuss" and figure out how to properly release The Matrix recordings, both in configuration and format. Few are under a misguided or uninformed impression as to what goes into releasing product. Anything other than a complete release of the tapes will be considered a failure.

20. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I'll start my post with a caveat that I didn't purchase either of the Matrix RSD titles, nor the debut album 50th set. I considered them a rip-off. My opinion is based off of the Youtube videos linked below.

Compared to the 20 minute flat transfer sampler tape, it sounds like Botnick narrowed the stereo on Volume 1 as well as applied heavy handed hiss removal. IMO, the 'breath of life' has been sucked out of it, thus the criticism. Volume 2 sounds much improved, and closer to the sampler tape.

Just my opinion, of course. If anyone feels otherwise regarding the sound quality, I'd like to here why.

Live at the Matrix Volume 1

21. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Live at the Matrix Volume 2

22. Well I think the whole breath of life comment is woefully exaggerated and as for narrowing the soundstage I prefer it more concentrated and centred.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Pats Radio

I think they both sound great.

SteveM likes this.
  24. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Mine cost me $35, so it was affordable, just need to compare the Abrams Samplers with the cd or vinyl and sounds inferior, that's why; of course it was an upgrade for 2008 or even KTS box, but the Abrams samplers sound great.

now if you compare sound between RSD '17 sampler with RSD '18 sampler you'll feel a big difference

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Perhaps I exaggerated the 'breath of life' comment. However, when I compared the two videos I do believe that the difference between Volume 1 & 2 is noticeable....with volume 2 being superior.

In regards to centering the sound stage, I have to respectfully disagree. I much prefer the recording 'as is' with the wide stereo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.