The Doors - Waiting for the Sun and 1968 tour 50th anniversary discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Flynbryan, Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Yes and those are tacky and embarrassing too.

Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Then don’t.

3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Then just ignore it. No one else thinks anything of it so neither should you. And if everyone else is doing it, then you’re not alone.

Revolver likes this.
  4. Wow, that's helpful. You said no one cares about these things and I pointed out I do. And others do as well. So instead of telling me not to care, maybe I should tell you that you should care.

KAJ1971 and Six Bachelors like this.
  5. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I’ve already explained why you shouldn’t and why you’re getting upset over nothing so I won’t repeat myself.

Flynbryan likes this.
  6. Right, your explanation was 'hey, other bands do it so you shouldn't care'. Intelligent reasoning there.

Six Bachelors and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. A Saucerful of Scarlets

It was actually, shame you couldn’t understand it.
    ...because if it doesn’t destroy their image it won’t The Doors nor will it single them out as the only band who makes shirts for toddlers. I also explained earlier how I think it in no way represents their music. Maybe you should give that a read again before conveniently overlooking arguments.

Flynbryan likes this.
  8. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Again,they’re just T-shirts. The Doors have been printing t-shirts for as long as I can remember. Every rock band prints them and they would be stupid Not to.

Revolver and Pats Radio like this.
  9. Six Bachelors

...and you are entitled to tell me what to do and what to think because of what? Because this is the Internet?

If it in no way represents their music, they shouldn’t be doing it.

SteveM likes this.
  10. PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin Forum Resident

It's like Romper Room in here. How old are some of you?

11. I understand the desire to refrain from messing with recording history but these are not professionally recorded multi-tracks which were painstakingly mixed and mastered half a century ago. They are getting their first release now so Botnick's work is, by definition, the definitive version. They are not true stereo either but simply a rough "combination of two tapes" which amounts to the vocal in one channel and the band in the other, similar to Dylan's original "basement tape" reels. Sony mixed Dylan's crude recordings into a more monophonic and centred version when they released the Bootleg Series Vol. 11. Few had any complaints about that. I think Botnick has attempted something similar here so, again, I'm not sure why there are such howls of protest. Whilst the RSD 2018 LP might be a more hissy than the 2017 CD/LP, there is no denying that the wonky "stereo" image is very unbalanced and distracting. I appreciate that you're never going to please everybody and these tapes were never the best quality but I do believe some people will be set to sharpen their knives however they decide to "balance" the remainder of the recordings. I personally prefer the 2017 CD to listen to over the 2018 LP but that's just my opinion.

12. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

As I said earlier they both sound great however, if you’re asking me which one is better than yes, volume 2 is better to my ears.

13. Flynbryan

I wish The Doors camp would give us a teaser. less than 2 months until the 50th.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. It is less than 2 months to the 50th anniversary of WFTS album release only but who said they are going to reissue every album yearly on it's 50th anniversary? I think the official "50th" was simply 2017 and last year's reissues. I don't recall anything else talked about or hinted at?

Matthew Tate and btltez like this.
  15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

It seems they have set a precedence by doing 50th anniversary releases for the first 2 albums. Stopping now would look silly. And it would definitley bring more criticism from this group....which they would deserve.

16. Switching from a 4 disc "deluxe" debut with live material to a 2 disc SD without, feels like a gross deflation of the original anniversary celebratory concept. Doing nothing for WFTS feels quite appropriately in tune with that descent.

Matthew Tate and Six Bachelors like this.
  17. A Saucerful of Scarlets

...and you are entitled to tell them not to do it because of what? Because this is the internet?
    No, because it's a bloody opinion.
    I'm telling you to ignore it for your own sake. It's not an order, mate, it's a recommendation. Jesus Christ.

And no, if it in no way represents their music then I don't think it's worth whinging about.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Flynbryan likes this.
  18. Pats Radio

Ummm the doors like any other band are a business. The object in business is to make money. You’re music can only do so much. You need other outlets to generate $$$$. T-shirts are one of those outlets. Sigh.

Revolver and Flynbryan like this.
  19. Six Bachelors

I'm not telling them anything. They aren't here. Even if they were, they wouldn't listen. Anyway the difference is that I think it is a damn shame that these guys have put themselves in the position of (apparently) needing to sell crap that "in no way represents their music" in order to keep the band name alive. It seems that other people think it doesn't matter at all. So be it.

The fact that they sell this sort of stuff but that we don't know whether they'll bother properly celebrating their only #1 album's 50th anniversary is kind of concerning...no?

KAJ1971, Shawn and SteveM like this.
  20. Pats Radio

Just because you think it’s “crap” doesn’t mean it is. Furthermore doesn’t mean nobody wants it either. Clearly people want it because they’re buying it left and right.

21. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

@Flynbryan

The Doors S/T 50th was released on March 17, not january
    Strange Days 50th on November 17, not September

i expect an announcement on July and a release on September

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Who knows what is in store for "WFTS," if anything, I suspect there will be at least a single-disc remaster. My guess is that there is some sort of bonus disc associated with it, and the same goes for "The Soft Parade." I think there is a chance that "Morrison Hotel" and "LA Woman" receive box set treatments, mostly because the band has the session reels with viable outtake performances to augment those albums with bonus content.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Flynbryan

Yes,they did seem to be about 2 months behind the original release dates.

24. Flynbryan

Give me the 40th on Vinyl!!!

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think most people's issue with the Matrix material was that it wasn't the whole show, it was edited and they were releasing it but by bit. Why not just put the whole show in the 50th anniversary? Just so they can flog it as part of something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.