The Doors - Waiting for the Sun and 1968 tour 50th anniversary discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Flynbryan, Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can’t find that info anywhere. No idea where that info is coming from.

2. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

that is an interesting question, i really don't know that.

3. Kat Records

that doesn't make it untrue ;)

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The DCC CD is the way to go for this masterpiece.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Did they do a 45 rpm vinyl issue of this album? Morrison Hotel and LA Woman are incredible.

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, they did. All six Morrison-era albums got the 45 rpm treatment.

Captain Rogers likes this.
  7. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

And they're flippin' great! Superb sound.

Of the modern pressings - it's the AP 45s that are my go-to. At least, until I play my DCC Doors 1st, SD and WFTS (& LAW on CD) to directly compare... :)

Captain Rogers and Encuentro like this.
  8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The "Not to Touch the Earth" wonky image shifting around throughout the song kills it for me.

David del Toro likes this.
  9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

“At first, I was against releasing any of this, but I get it,” Densmore says. “I’ve got mixes of John Coltrane, my idol, doing six versions of one song before they got to the master and I’m interested in that because I want to see the trail.”

This is the actual Rolling Stone John Densmore quote.

Nothing in the Doors studio vault can possibly be worse than Manzarek talking about a "hot beef injection" or other flawed BMA performances that got released. I think the Rothchild estate is holding the pre-LAW studio stuff(not retrieved form a dumpster) hostage.

10. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Okay, that got an actual LOL from me. :D

11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

That was pretty disingenuous of Flyn to truncate that quote. The full quote tells a very different story.

SoundAdvice and Shawn like this.
  12. Flynbryan

I wasn’t trying to be disingenuous,that’s just how I remembered the quote from several days ago. To me it doesn’t sound like he wants to release “this stuff “. If anything,Johns quote is disingenuous. How can you compare 6 versions of one Coltrane song with these Rough Mixes? These are the same recordings we already have,just a slightly different Mix,they are Not different versions.
    There are probably several different reasons why The Doors don’t release “this stuff” from the vault,John is definitely one of those reasons.

13. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I apologize for the disingenuous comment if you were going from memory. I thought you were pasting the quote and left out the rest.

However, the quote sounds like John explaining that he's changed feelings on releasing unreleased material. Not necessarily that he personally wants it released but that he fully understands why people want it and that he himself enjoys hearing unreleased material from artists he likes. The "At first" part sure sounds like he's explaining a change of mind on the subject. Also, The Doors have released a number of outtakes over the last 15 years, so simply not wanting to release them certainly doesn't seem like the problem.

I'm not sure what your point is about the rough mixes being compared to 6 versions of a song. I certainly don't think rough mixes are as interesting as a different take (not usually, anyway).

Grasshopper and Paper Wizard like this.
  14. SoundAdvice

There never has been evidence the 2 Doors or 2 Doors estates being against the release of unreleased performances. However, there is evidence of Jampol being in the way of a Kreiger compiled BYB2 getting released.

Densmore wisely had apprehension at some WFTS songs getting their 4th-6th mixes, which is shared by some fans including myself.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. SoundAdvice

Jampol has released TEN unique mix/edits of same HELLO I LOVE YOU master vocal in the past 12 years.

-1970's quad mix on 2017 singles bonus disc
    -2018 45
    -2018 rough mix
    -1968 stereo LP reissued
    -2006 stereo remix
    -2006 surround remix
    -2017 singles v.1
    -2017 singles v.2
    -2012 hollywood bowl stereo with flown in vocal
    -2012 hollywood bowl surround with flown in vocal

Possibly a 11th depending on the surround mix used on the Re-Evolution Blu-ray.

Doggiedogma, Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

John meant 6 takes of a song before they reached the final take that would be used for release. I agree the endless remixing of the same take is boring.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Kat Records

Damn he is a marketing phenomenom!

we miss you danny

Flynbryan and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I was there yesterday. Some amazing stuff there.

19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

What is unique about the 2018 45? Isn't that already on the singles set?

Your point still stands!

20. murch

murch Forum Resident

The wfts 50th vinyl has the mono mix of hily which was featured on the singles set last year. It also has the mono mix of love street which wasn't part of the singles set.

On tidal however, a picture of this same 50th vinyl single set has different content, a stereo of the 50th Remastered hily, and a rough mix of hily and a rough mix of love street.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  21. Flynbryan

It’s all good. The rough mixes aren’t very interesting. It was silly for John to compare them to the 6 versions of a Coltrane song. Especially since The Doors must have different takes of every song on this album. Love Street could not have been recorded in just one take. They must not want to release “this stuff “ or it’s lost,stolen or thrown in the trash,who knows. Looks like we have to hire a cat burglar to rob The Doors vault and release “this stuff “ ourselves. I’m sorry but for John to label Doors recordings “this stuff “ was just plain stupid. He doesn’t seem to give a sh@t at all. Just really bothers me he said that. Actually I’m very pissed off about it.

22. Flynbryan

Very interesting. I see Tidal is a streaming download site. I guess they can change the content when ever they want to.

23. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Didn't Ray stop Bakersfield being released in 2005?

24. Flynbryan

At least Ray didn’t call it “this stuff “. With Ray and Danny gone we will never get any of “this stuff “ released. Unbelievable!

Kat Records and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Agreed. Danny, being a fan and not a formal manager, did manage the band vault and releases much better than JJ who supposedly has much managment training.

steviebee and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.