The Doors - Waiting for the Sun and 1968 tour 50th anniversary discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Flynbryan, Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

In other news, anybody knows if the 2cd japanese edition has been indeed cancelled? Amazon links are still active.:eek::shrug:

2. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Or a “Polish Sausage”:laughup:

Grasshopper likes this.
  3. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I think i understand what John is saying. I'm definitely in minority here, but when Morrison Hotel was re-released with thirteen or-so different takes of Roadhouse Blues, i really didn't see the point. To my ears, it was just a snapshot of guys trying to get a simple blues song together. Different versions of Coltrane, Miles or Hendrix i find fascinating and often very enjoyable, but in case of The Doors, it's the final version of a track that i like. Complete live shows are a different matter.

The two rough mixes that are on Spotify are ok in my opinion.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Agreed, except that I still think there's an inherent merit to getting early takes out there, because it helps us understand the group better.

Often there's little pleasure to be had from a listening perspective, but it can shed so much light on a musician or group's creative process. And it demystifies it, making it clear that these things usually don't pop magically into existence, but have to be worked out, in ways that other musicians can learn from.

Listening to the 3-CD set of "Good Vibrations" early takes and outtakes is both a tough slog and a fascinating experience, because it clarifies the ways in which hard work, inspiration, and careful orchestration choices can turn a goofy-sounding bunch of ideas into a masterpiece.

I think we often learn different things from jazz outtakes, since a high-level jazz player is basically never going to sound bad -- instead, you get fairly nuanced variations between approaches to the same material. But rock bands, especially rock bands pushing the envelope, were frequently less-polished musicians, mapping out uncharted territory and sometimes doing wild things with studio technology or electronically-affected timbres.

The thing I remember about the "Roadhouse Blues" outtakes is how the Doors somehow go from sounding like a mediocre bar band to sounding like a well-oiled groove machine -- and how abruptly that final "click" happens. It only takes a few small changes and some work to get the band to "lock in", but when it does, the difference is night and day.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Any unheard Jim vocal should be a priority to release. This WFTS doesn't even include alternate vocal Wintertime love that slipped out on the 1988 CD. I really enjoyed the LAW workshop CD and still play it every 6 months or so. False starts/studio dialogue is interesting but has a very low repeat factor.

Was "Waiting for the Sun"(song from 1970 album) completed in 1968? Overdubbed in 1970? Rough mixed in 1968?

PhantomStranger and rnranimal like this.
  6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

With the Doors track history, I’m skeptical that these rough mixes are vintage ones.
    I bet they are just recent remixes.

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

“Roadhouse Blues” came together because of Paul Rothchild. His role in shaping the band’s music cannot be emphasized enough.

8. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

That was my impression too. He was riding them hard, especially Densmore (who was the main problem IIRC -- he was pushing too hard and wasn't locking in with Manzarek), but he got the music where it needed to be.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  9. murch

murch Forum Resident

Hard to say for sure... But the new/old love street rough mix has Morrison making a small vocal mistake about 2/3 through, (I think just almost coming in too early on the bridge).. Hard to imagine that being something they would choose to highlight with a modern remix, more like a mistake you would find in an earlier rough mix.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

That’s what they would have you believe.

11. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

:doh:

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I can't answer that, but I'd love to hear a completed 1968 "Waiting for the Sun" if it exists.

13. xmas111

xmas111 Forum Resident

The 45 rpm single "Hello I love you" sounds awesome!

[​IMG]

14. murch

murch Forum Resident

Any differences on the mono love street or does it sound like a straight fold down?

15. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Yes, they are new, as says the press release

16. murch

murch Forum Resident

The Doors Set For 50th Anniversary Reissue Of 'Waiting for the Sun' With Unreleased Songs - That Eric Alper

From the site above:

The set also includes a second disc of 14 completely unreleased tracks: nine recently discovered “rough mixes” from the album recording sessions and five live songs from a September 17, 1968 Copenhagen show.

While going through his archive, Bruce Botnick uncovered a cache of rough mixes from the sessions that hadn’t been played in 50 years. Botnick says: “I prefer some of these rough mixes to the finals, as they represent all of the elements and additional background vocals, different sensibilities on balances, and some intangible roughness, all of which are quite attractive and refreshing.”

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That has been cancelled unfortunately.

18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Just from comparing it to the rest of the Waiting For The Sun ALBUM, it sounds like new guitar work from Robby was done in 1970. he guitar work is far more akin in tone and style to the rest of the Morrison Hotel album.

19. xmas111

xmas111 Forum Resident

I can't tell any difference.

murch likes this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

A total bummer. It was a good option for those who just wanted the bonus tracks as well as SHM quality. One wonders if management convinced Warner to kill the Japanese exclusive configuration so it would not impact U.S. sales of the box.

21. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

I wanted this version because the price was right and it didn't include the vinyl.

22. PacificOceanBlue

I hear you. I typically do not go the download route, but I may consider it for this release because I am not convinced I need the vinyl or the rest of the non-audio box set contents. If I do ultimately acquire the physical box set, it will likely not be a pre-order/first day acquisition. Man, when it comes to product, The Doors are an aggravating band.

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Going the download route is my intention for this release. I did the same for the 5oth anniversary debut album release. I cannot justify yet another purchase of the studio albums. I already downloaded the two available rough mixes. I'll be doing the same for the other rough mixes and the Copenhagen tracks.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  24. It's happened before with other groups.

25. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Well, looks like the thread's gonna take a different turn again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.