The dreaded fake 'live' album....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Wow...I didn't know that. Perhaps my favorite KT album.

2. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I was so glad that Columbia recitified that when they did the gold CD.

3. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

On the Bear Family "Stewart Years" Box Set, they included the 'studio takes' without any applause dubbed on, of several tracks from College Concert.

frankfan1 likes this.
  4. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I'll say it again here, Genesis' Seconds Out is an album that was recorded in the nest of studios with the crowd noise
    faded in and out. I've gotten slammed out here for saying such in the past, along with much of side one to ELP's
    Pictures At An Exhibition, with an out-take from the latter included in the expanded Steven Wilson re-mastered
    ELP 1...

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

isn't just halfords vocals overdubbed on the priest album due to him being under the weather when it was recorded live?

squittolo likes this.
  6. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

What?? Where did you find this out? Not slamming ya.

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense makes heavy use of studio overdubs. Someone told me they couldn't get this record to image as a live concert on their system. No wonder.

7. Matthew Tate

surprised its on spotify. i thought robbie robertson had the release put OOP after it was discovered to not be the watkins glen concert

8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

side three of Van der Graaf Generator's Pawn Hearts was going to be a fake live side but the accountants at B&C Records told the suits at Charisma that no one was going to buy a double VDGG album so it was pared down to a single album.

9. Matthew Tate

no way any of the johnny winter or mountain official bootleg releases have overdubs or studio tinkiering. anyone who owns any of these releases knows why i saw that

10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

How do you know this about the PG?

11. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

.....nor Gram Parsons fans...nor people for that matter.

fr in sc and Lost In The Flood like this.
  12. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

For some reason Maiden made a point of not overdubbing anything ever, altough it's clear that they did. The vocals on the Donnington material was overdubbed. And the B-side live version of Remember Tomorrow that was claimed to be recorded in Italy during the first tour with Bruce was actually the Maiden Japan version with new vocals.

squittolo likes this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

And from what I recall from past threads you believe this because it doesn't sound like a bootleg. Of course it doesn't, it was carefully mixed.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Beatles live at the hollywood bowl. From different performances but no overdubbing.

15. Kim Olesen

No. It was recorded at three track. Impossible to edit in individual parts in from other takes. A song or two may be a combination of performances. Dizzy Miss Lizzy comes to mind. But that does not constitude fake live album.

16. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Not sure if this album was mentioned, Slade Alive 1972. It's my favorite from Slade but it always sounded like the audience was fake or added in.
    Anyone have any info on that recording?

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Old post but I don't know if anyone addressed it. GG said it was "tampered with" a little bit (some keyboard parts were redone in the studio due to tech problems at the shows).

18. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

it is not impossible. not in 1976-1977. Not even with 3-track.

besides, there's proof.

And i never said it's a fake live album. A fake live album would've sounded much better in this case.

19. Kim Olesen

Takes were edited together. Not individual instrumental performances.

20. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

All i can say is that it wasn't impossible and the only person who knows or knew is Mr.Martin.

21. Kim Olesen

No. You implied there is proof. Which there isnt. And i have worked in tape equipped studios so i can tell you that editing together different instrumental performances from a three track live recording where there would be lots of leakage is impossible. Tempos would not match. The original performance would still be audible in the vocal mics etc etc. Even with digital editing that recording would be nearly impossible to edit because of these issues.

22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Watkins_Glen

23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Re: Live After Death

Can you give any examples of where the vocal is overdubbed on the stereo as opposed to the surround remix? I have not noticed those discrepancies before.

squittolo likes this.
  24. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Aces High for instance. It's pretty obvious, actually.

squittolo likes this.
  25. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

There are also bootlegs of the raw tapes, and I've never noticed any difference from the released recordings (editing and sound quality aside).

JMR and Kim Olesen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.