THE DROP - Great new movie with James Gandolfini

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Larry Mc, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude Thread Starter

Tom Hardy is becoming one of my favorite actors, he fantastic in this movie. James Gandolfini is great too, in a role that's a little different than his usual. I don't know why more folks aren't talking about this movie, it's very good, 89 on RT.
    Has anyone else seen this movie yet? They're not making movies like this as much as they used to so if you like good acting, and a great story that surprises you, check it out.:)

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

>Miss the big lug.

Larry Mc likes this.
  3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Excellent movie. I even recommended it to my coworker and he loved it.

All the actors did a great job.... Was this James last movie??

Larry Mc likes this.
  4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It's being called that in advertising & reviews. Hope to see it this weekend.

5. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I saw the trailer for this months ago and it looked like it might be good.

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Seriously

7. Larry Mc

I don't know, he looks ok in the movie. I'll have to look into that, now you've got me curious.

8. townsend

townsend Senior Member

My wife and I saw this movie Sunday afternoon. Excellent movie. Gandolfini and Hardy both have strong performances. The plot is more complicated than many movies of the genre, which is a definite plus, but not some absurd improbable mish-mash. Dark, tense, it held our attention. We even think we could see it a second time and still glean some enjoyment out of it (a rare for most movies).

If you like Tom Hardy, run to Red Box, Netflix, or wherever you have to and grab BRONSON. A simply brilliant performance by Harding. Spell binding, riveting . . . I can't say enough about this performance and movie. High entertainment value, even higher than The Drop (IMO, of course).

Larry Mc likes this.
  9. Larry Mc

He was great in "Bronson". What a character that guy is.

10. Larry Mc

Yes it's James last movie according to two web sites I looked at.

11. liveshowz

liveshowz Forum Resident

thank you ... thank you .. I'll tell Michael (the director) the kind words when he get's back in Belgium..
    He was also the director of 'Bullhead' (His first full length featurefilm) which was nominated for an academy award last year...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1821593/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_2

See it if you have the chance..

I honestly (and not because he's a friend) believe he is going to be one of the new 'hot' hollywood directors.
    He really knows how to make 'slow' cinema and so far has perfectly walked the thin line between compromising and doing his own thing..

Trust me... ;-)

kanakaris likes this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Added to IMDB Watchlist
    Notification for Blu ray set @ Blu-ray.com

Thanks ! :tiphat:

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Will have to check out Bronson.

14. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

This was written by Dennis Lehane, one of my all time favorite writers. If you haven't read anything by him, you're missing out on some terrific books. He also wrote a few episodes of "The Wire".

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just finished the Blu ray, and I really liked it !!! Diving into the extras now.
    @liveshowz - please pass along my thanks for making Gandolfini's final film, such a good one.

@ralphb - Check this one out if you haven't already. Brooklyn is a character !

16. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Sweet - this is now available to rent on iTunes... been looking forward to it.

17. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Me too. :sigh:

18. Larry Mc

This film is definitely one that I will purchase and watch more than once. I wish it would have been seen by more folks, it kinda fell through the cracks.

19. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I was very impressed by supporting actors Noomi Rapace (Nadia) and Matthias Schoenaerts (Eric Deeds).

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The book is excellent. I have all of Lehane's books and he is superb.

The Drop was one of the movies one the United Airlines selection when I recently flew to Australia and I started to watch it, but because I had read the book and knew the story, I found it hard to get into and stopped watching it and switched to something else. I wish I had perserved - but I will catch it down the track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.