The Dylan SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Even with mono material on the multi-channel track, it would not accessible to people with stereo only machines.

- Gabe

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Well based on the Police (Live) and Who (My Generation) SACDs (albeit single layer) that are one SACD - equivalent to 2 redbook CDs, it could conceivably be possible to include both the stereo and mono mix on the one SACD stereo layer. I am not sure what the maximum storage capacity is of a stereo SACD hybrid, but most Dylan albums would probably fit the stereo and mono mix nicely, even on a hybrid. (But we run into that dreaded "royalty" issue that has been brought up in other threads, when you include more than what was on the original album proper to begin with.) Can anyone give more insight into my hypothesis regarding hybrid SACD storage capacity.

If indeed Sony could fit both the stereo and mono mix on the hybrid SACD layer - they could use this as another selling point for SACD. "With SACD get both the stereo and mono mix. With redbook get the stereo mix only".

3. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

1. Sony Music likely has no royalty licensing issue with mono and stereo versions on the same disk.

2. There is lots of room on the SACD layer for both stereo and multi-channel (or Mono) tracks. The Red Book layer only has room for one or the other.

3. Putting on both is the Right Thing to do.

Richard.

4. RDK

RDK Active Member

Is there some reason why Dylan (or someone in his camp) *wouldn't* want the mono mix to be included?

5. Richard Feirstein

It is likely that Bob and his management know little if anything about SACD technology and its potential. I expect that Bob's preference would be for the release of the mono material since it is reported that several of those masters were given his personal attention; leaving the stereo mixes to others at the record company. Especially true with Blond on Blond.

Richard.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

I wonder if it might be better to send info/requests to the major dylan websites rather than Sony. In addition to bobdylan.com, I'd think expectingrain.com would be interested.

The possibility of a combo mono and stereo release (and how about the quad mixes for the relevant albums?) would probably engender no small amount of excitement...

7. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Not necessarily. I mean, I know BoB wouldn't fit two-on-one, but the previous single-disc albums should have both phases fit easily into 80 minutes...?

-D

8. Richard Feirstein

There is lots of room for both SACD versions of Blond on Blond; yes there is.
    (5.1 stuff takes up more space than stereo which takes up more space than mono, unless mastered as two track mono; which is likely.)

Richard.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

A dream SACD series would be for me. Stereo/Mono 2 fers, Some LP"s would not fit on one Cee Dee, so add a 2nd Cee Dee with outakes for each LP! That would be killer and do away with many of the fluffed boots out there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.