The Eagles now have all time best selling album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nightfly68, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

I don't understand the extreme love for The Eagles. Without knowing the figures I would have guessed they would be like number 20 or something. And btw: Greatest Hits albums shouldn't count.

stanlove, Shaker Steve, J_D__ and 4 others like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

hotel california is not on this album

dalem5467, Zeki, vinylontubes and 3 others like this.
  3. mark winstanley

for the longest time The Sound Of Music was the biggest selling album I believe .... correct me if I'm wrong experts

in reality though, every man and his dog has a best of/greatest hits , so why don't they count?

seed_drill likes this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

5. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Don’t hate me, but that’s because Michael is featured on Drake’s “Don’t Matter to Me”.

6. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I say congratulations to them! They have certainly showcased an enduring popularity in America. And early Eagles (what's covered on Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975) is my favorite Eagles. I liked when they had more of a country flavor to them and songs like "Tequila Sunrise" and "Lyin' Eyes" are beautiful compositions.

7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Well, “all time best selling album” is the main factor, so compilations such as Greatest Hits are allowed.

Since Sales is the key, actual selection of tracks isn’t factored in.

8. mark winstanley

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/02/16/100-best-selling-albums-all-time/

up to 2017 US

1. Michael Jackson, Thriller
    (33 million certified units).

2. Eagles, Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975
    (29 million).

3. Billy Joel, Greatest Hits Volume I & Volume II
    (23 million)

4. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV
    (23 million)

5. Pink Floyd, The Wall
    (23 million)

6. AC/DC, Back In Black
    (22 million)

7. Garth Brooks, Double Live
    (21 million)

8. Fleetwood Mac, Rumours
    (20 million)

9. Shania Twain, Come On Over
    (20 million)

10. The Beatles, The Beatles
    (19 million)

Zeki likes this.
  9. Black Magic Woman

I don’t really know how any of it works. I once read King’s Tapestry (has) sold 20 million copies but in the website below it’s listed on the “10 million copies” albums. Is that from the Nielsen era? (or however it is called?)

10. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

To me platinum album status lost all credibility and meaning the day Rihanna went platinum for giving her Anti album away for free.

11. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Funny, that´s the same of a part of americans (not all) that don´t understand the extreme love for Queen around the world.
    And both now have the best selling albums in UK and USA.

willied and TonyCzar like this.
  12. Black Magic Woman

Eagles on Spotify:
    Monthly listeners - 9,274,754
    Fans - 1,842,370

They don’t have (many) fans, they do have lots of casual listeners.

Considering that Nirvana only has 1,343,117 more listeners than Eagles, but they have 7,033,425 fans.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    DML71 likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

The UK's 60 official biggest selling albums of all time revealed

up to 2016 UK

1 Queen greatest hits - 6.1 million
    2 Abba greatest hits - 5.2
    3 beatles sgt pepper - 5.1
    4 adele 21
    5 oasis morning glory
    6 michael jackson thriller
    7 pink floyd dark side of the moon
    8 dire straits brothers in arms
    9 michael jackson bad
    10 queen greatest hits 2 - 4 million

a lot of interesting things about those two sets of figures ... depending on how accurate they actually are

14. mark winstanley

if you look at some lists - they have claimed sales and certified sales ... for example thriller claim 60+ million, certified 33 million.
    its a craps shoot with these things ... even more so since streaming and downloads

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  15. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Am I a passionate Eagles fan? No. Do I know of any? Yes.

One of my best friends has probably seen them 6 times in the last few years.

seed_drill and mark winstanley like this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Contemporary-era "sales" numbers are going to continue to be skewed for a number of artists because of the way streaming is now being accounted for. I do not interpret streams as sales, but the RIAA does, so that's the way it is.

TonyCzar and Stephen J like this.
  17. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I do not agree with counting streaming. Paid downloads yes, but stream no. There has to be a purchase for the specific album only.

PH416156, snowman872 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Last year the band reissued both GH volumes in a 2-cd bundle. Also the band released a 40th Anniversary Edition of Hotel California in various packages. The band continues to tour and perform every single song on GH Vol. 1 with the exception of Best of My Love, which still makes the setlist sporadically.

Not sure what the big deal is with counting streaming numbers and downloads, as long as it is consistently applied across the board for all artists, it still reflects interest and popularity.

S. P. Honeybunch and davers like this.
  19. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

According to some sales figures, the Eagles' Greatest Hits album surpassed Thriller in sales a number of years ago, but didn't hold that record for very long, since the Beatles' 1 compilation surpassed it. Those numbers have shifted over the years, but it's understandable that a compilation of big hits would eventually surpass the sales of an album of all new material at the time. Carole King's Tapestry held that record (best selling album by a solo artist) until it was finally surpassed by Thriller. Tapestry and Thriller's sales are more noteworthy since they were new material at the time and not compilations (although the release of so many of the tracks on both albums as singles that became hits made the albums virtually instant "Best ofs").

mark winstanley likes this.
  20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Fixed for you.
    Not like any album beyond Adele and T. Swift actually SOLD 10 million physical copies in the last decade. (Although knowing Eagles fans, they probably sold a few.)

DML71 and maui jim like this.
  21. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

New world new rules I guess. Legacy artists - massive record sales, Modern artists massive streaming numbers. In trying to combine the two we end up with this middle ground (some may say fudge). I think the streaming numbers = 1 physical sale have been already adjusted a few times since inception and will no doubt change again.

I think it's more to do with making artists feel relevant than anything malicious or sneaky. I do get the point of lack of clarity but if anything streaming should give a more accurate figure in the long run as record companies can't inflate these numbers or Apple/Spotify/Tidal are providing them. People are making a choice to stream, and from this the artist/record company gets revenue so while it's not a real 'sale' it is a sale of sorts.

With record sales heading in the wrong direction if these changes aren't implemented the charts will end up static. It's not ideal but we are in the middle of a generational shift, the majority of people under 20 just aren't into buying into physical media.

22. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Claimed sales are probably for worldwide.

23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

It's a solid compilation indeed, although the songs have been overplayed over the years (It happens with catchy tunes). IMO, the only clunker is "Take It To the Limit" which I've hated from Day 1, but I just personally don't care for most songs that have that slow, plodding 3/4 groove.

apesfan likes this.
  24. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

Queen are to the UK what the Eagles are to the USA. That seems about right.

forthlin, Ted Dinard and oneslip17 like this.
  25. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I so love that a band like AC/DC is number 2. I love them and it's great that they're there.

Zoot Marimba and Hermes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.