The Eagles "Take It Easy" Olympic Sound Studios multi-track tape selling on eBay?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vanmeterannie, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanmeterannie

vanmeterannie Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Probably a safety copy, and also probably unplayable without baking it first.

3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

The notes on the box read "O/T's [outtakes] of Fair & Tender Ladies + Take It Easy" and underneath it says "+ Old Master of Take It Easy". My guess is that this was a pre-bouncedown tape, not the actual finished one with overdubs, etc. Still, I'm sure it'd be a fascinating listen - and I'd be reasonably sure this tape is the legal property of WEA, and it's more than likely stolen, and illegal to sell on ebay. My guess is that it'll be yanked soon enough, once someone gets wind of it being there.

4. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Is that even legal?

5. Don't see why not. Hell of an item to a collector. If I was an Eagles fan, I'd bid on it for sure.

6. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

But aren't original multi-tracks owned by the artists and/or labels? I highly doubt they'd want them being auctioned off on eBay.

7. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

That tape is "missing", if ya know what I mean......it's GOTTA be...and that guy has some, ahem, ba**s, to sell it on ebay......

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

9. You might think so but that baby will SELL! People like me have a magpie-like fascination with the early components of the recording process, mothers and stampers in particular.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

This tape is owned by the Warner/Elektra/Asylum/Atlantic Record group. I pity the fool who tries to buy it.

11. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Steve, when Olympic Studios was purchased (by Richard Branson?), didn't the new owner(s) throw out all the tapes stored in the library because they didn't know what to do with them? Legend has it, this is where bootleggers came up with the tape of Who's Next outtakes (which they later sold back to Pete Townshend).

12. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Warner/Elektra/Asylum/Atlantic certainly has the resources to sue anyone who possesses the tape, but I bet a U.S. court would rule that while there is no doubt they hold the copyright to the music on the tape, they no longer legally own the tape as too much time has passed and no claim was probably made with Olympic to take back possesion.

When that large cache of tapes, which included Elvis, Simon & Garfunkel, The Byrds amongst others, was found several years ago in a storage locker down in the Southern United States, Sony immediately sued to take back possession of the tapes that contained music by the artists signed to their label. However, the court ruled that while they owned the copyright to the music, too much time had passed to make a valid claim for the actual physical tapes. As a result, Sony had to make a deal with the person who purchased the tapes to release the material.

13. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

And wasn't Ampex 456 introduced in 1975? The tape shown is a BASF product (well, at least the reel is so branded)....but they did have 406 by 1972, IIRC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.