The Eagles - THE STUDIO ALBUMS 1972-1979 Rhino Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mazzy, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Just listened to the first two albums in this set... Whoa, excellent sound. Really nice. The first album sounded smooth as silk, powerful bass and nice flowing acoustic guitars.

I have an original pressing of Desperado (all other Eagles vinyl lost in a basement flood), and comparing the new cut in this box to the original; the new one is better. More weight to the presentation, more sparkling highs, really nice. The only thing I noticed was the original vinyl cut of Desperado sounded a bit more open, but the new cut sounded more "real", as the acoustic guitars had more presence and sounded more alive.

If these new vinyl albums were cut from digital, wow they sound good. Nothing to indicate, though, if they were cut from analog or digital.

Dino, Roland S. and MikeJedi like this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Nice to hear. Not available until Nov 25th in the UK.

3. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Should get my set on Wed , looking forward to hearing these !! Sounds good so far !! :)

4. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Wow, really exciting. I should get my box in the next weeks too. At this point, i only own the double-best of on cd, so hopefully i made the right decision with this edition of the albums.

Let us know what you think about the rest of this set, if you heard them.

5. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident

I find it interesting that this package was put together.. ALL of these albums are ridiculously easy to locate at ANY record store or flea market. I've bought all the "classic" albums for less than ten bucks. I would have given serious consideration to purchasing this set had it included the rest of the discography.. Hell, I'd buy the whole damn box just for a vinyl copy of Hell Freezes Over.. (I know, I know.. it's a STUDIO box.. ) or for Long Road Out of Eden.. But really? $129 for stuff so easily accessible elsewhere? No way..

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  6. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

I received this box yesterday. Each record is 100% flawless! I can't remember the last vinyl box I bought with pressings and covers this striking. With BG initials in the dead wax, it feels like a Classic Records boxed set. I think this is a great audiophile Eagles collection. Regarding the sound quality, they do sound different than I remember my originals sounding. I will have to take some time to compare... I actually like that they sound different, though. It gives me one more reason to reach for it. I could have probably lived with my originals, but I'm not disappointed at all. The sound is noticeably smooth and silky with deep bass. The mids may be a little recessed, but I'd need to really compare old vs. new to judge that -- and I doubt I will do that very soon. I want to enjoy these for a while and see what I think.

7. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Just started listening to these last night, they do sound different, but in a good way :) Nice detail, bass and midrange, on some songs the mids are a tiny bit recessed, but overall, excellent.. Very black backrounds, great pressings, flat, no warpage! Life in The Fast Lane, New Kid in Town, Witchy Woman, are some standouts so far.... I will continue listening and report back !! The only thing i heard, and it could just be me is a little IGD on The Last Resort (cause its at the end of that record), but when i went to go back to clean it some more and my stylus it was mostly gone... oh well, probably just me... Overall, excellent! so far!!

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So does the debut album sound like (or better than) the mythical Tom Port "to die for" pressing that he claims was made from a master that can never be replicated for mysterious reasons? He claims the debut from the best tape is one of the best sounding records of all time, a dinger to hum all dingers.

http://www.better-records.com/product.aspx?pf_id=eagleeagle_1013

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  9. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Fine with my US originals. Do want a hard to get, ultra expensive versions of Hell freezes Over and Long Roead Out Of eden

10. Too expensive for me. But should they decide to release individual titles I'll pick up Desperado and One Of These Nights, maybe Hotel California.

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Is that a UK pressing? IIRC this was supposed to be the only one in phase. As far as the tape being destroyed is concerned, the uk 2006 reissue sounds pretty close to my original white label Asylum (EMI pressed) copy.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nope, he's claiming it's the standard US pressing.

13. MikeT

Buy it, send it to me and I'll get back to you. :D

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I would if I believed a word of that spiel other than, possibly, there was something mysterious and special about the first pressings and the elusive original master tape.

Well, maybe I wouldn't even then....

15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

So Warners/Rhino issued this set brimmimg to max in package and sound, plus BG mastered it for vinyl box release, have to look into this sometime soon. Thanks for remarks on those you recieved sets so far. How is the foldout poster LP package? Any flimsy storing with other vinyl? It is housed in the box together?

16. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Interesting, but I need to hear more on this other than from someone selling it.

17. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Does the new On the Border have the 2-sided desert poster?

18. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

It does not have the poster... I thought of that last night. It would have been nice to include that, too, since they went to so much trouble to reproduce everything else in such authentic detail. Must have been an oversight...

I listened to the first three albums again last night. I really do love the sound. It is a great presentation. They really come alive if you crank 'em up a little. Good job, Bernie!

Roland S. likes this.
  19. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

ok, I have listened to the rest of this set than the other day and WOWzie! This is the best i have ever heard these albums sound in my life!!! Guitars and Drums sound so realistic, its not even funny.. Henley's and the boy's vocals including backround vocals so very present, quiet backrounds, amazing sound!!! If anyone is contemplating buying this, they should ASAP.. the only nit i have is some IGD on the Last Resort , but it doesn't appear anywhere else in the last track(s) of the other Albums that i can tell , very minor nit at that!! Buy it!! I am using a Technics SL1200mk5 with my Shure m97xe !

20. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I've got a vinyl Holland pressing of Hell Freezes Over. Sorry, I can't let it go for less than $500. (That's about the going rate on ebay---I can't believe it--wow) But man, the sound is TO DIE FOR. Really, it is. Demo master tape sound on the 3 live sides. I guess I got lucky when I picked up a copy back in the day.

21. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

This set is going for $114 on Amazon.ca....hmmmm....

22. jallen89

jallen89 Forum Resident

I cant wait to receive mine! It will be interesting to see if it sounds better than Steve's DCCs.

23. Blue Collar Man

Blue Collar Man Active Member

According to Fremer they are digitally sourced.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content...-1979-vinyl-box-set-six-180gram-vinyl-records

"No matter what you might read elsewhere, the reissued vinyl was mastered by Bernie Grundman from 192k/24 bit files. No compression and minimal EQ was applied for this reissue box set. Probably the tapes were too fragile to jockey for an AAA reissue, but then again that's what they said about The Doors tapes and we all know what happened when Analogue Productions offered big bucks to use the tapes at 45rpm. Or as Cyndi Lauper sang 'Money Changes Everything'."

If you read the comments, he said he got his info from Chris Bellman.

John Carsell likes this.
  24. MikeT

Yes I read that when he first posted this information. Someone in the comments section indicate that the original tapes were used, and Mr. Fremer chimes in that they were used and transferred to 192/24 before being cut to vinyl.

Still - the records sound real good.

randy9700 and Jrr like this.
  25. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Even though they are digital files, agreed that they still sound Awesome!! :) Best I have ever heard these album's! :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.