The Eagles Touring With Glenn Frey's Son - You In ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GroovyGuy, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident Thread Starter

So it appears The Eagles are going to tour with Deacon Frey replacing his deceased father. These guys burned me for a ton-o-cash back in 1994 when they came back together for the "Hell Freezes Over" tour. As much as I love their music, after that "show" I decided that hell would have to freeze over before I paid another cent to see the live ever again.

I'm sure tickets will be big $$$ for these shows. Would you pay a premium price to see The Eagles live with Deacon replacing Glenn? Even if I hadn't had the "experience" I did back in 1994 I still don't think I'd spend the $$$ on this live show.

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Technically it's Vince Gill replacing Glenn Frey, with Deacon also aboard.

3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Why do you feel you got burned on the Eagle's "Hell Freezes Over" tour?

2trackmind likes this.
  4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

maybe the cd skipped during playback??

CraigC, Graham, sami and 7 others like this.
  5. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Probably not. I was not impressed seeing the HFO tour, and am someone who sits through the Henley sung tunes to get to the Frey sung ones.

If it were cheap and convenient I would go. But it won't be.

tuttle likes this.
  7. Yawn! Here we go again. Yet another Eagles bashing thread. Just stay away already. It's not like the eagles are going to lower their ticket prices just because you're complaining ;-). Go watch Don Felder instead.

8. "Cheap and convenient"?

9. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I wouldn't see the Eagles with anyone. Except maybe Fred Schneider.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yep like the $20 I paid to see Yes and Rundgren this weekend at PNC. I would do that.

11. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Nope.

12. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Nah. But I don't really go to shows anymore anyway. Even stripping that away, the thought of The Eagles w/ Vince Gill and Frey jr. doesn't appeal to me, no.

GodShifter and audiomixer like this.
  13. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

14. GroovyGuy

So .... this is NOT "another Eagles bashing thread". They were great artists in their day but they completely bent over fans with the 1994 to 1996 tour. That said, I love their music and have most of it in CD, MP3 AND vinyl format and mulitple pressing in vinyl format.

My question was specifically regarding the replacement of Glenn Frey with his son for this latest tour. My comments regarding my experience in '94 were made to show why I won't be buying tickets for this tour

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  15. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Wasn't Axl Rose available?

keyXVII, sami, Elek.-maxe and 7 others like this.
  16. It's very sad, if Yes can only charge $20 for a live performance considering what an accomplished career they've had. Live performances are what make musicians survive, not album sales. I'm amazed at how entitled so-called music lovers feel these days. People want the music for free, and they barely want to pay for tour expenses, etc.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I spent over $100 to see Waters this weekend too. I will certainly go to more expensive concerts when I feel they will be worth it.

Left Yes early, though there were a few highlights. Their set was structured chronologically, so I knew we had heard the good stuff. But would have gladly paid twice as much as I did for the great Rundgren set we got.

Yes could charge more for their show if they joined forces with the three other key Yes members also touring as Yes.

19. GroovyGuy

I'm a HUGE Eagles fan. I love them. I've spend a significant amount on their music and have received great returns (in the form of joy listening to their music) over a number of years from it. I continue to hunt for different pressing of their LP's I don't own and will continue to do so.

Their 1994 show that I saw was subpar at best. They sounded terrible. I'm not sounding about the mix coming off the board, I'm talking about them themselves. You could clearly tell they weren't "into it" and were literally calling it in. Definately not what myself or the balance of the crowd expected.

I have no problem paying a significant amount to see a show but if I do decide to do so I expect to get at least a decent performance and this was definately not the case with that show.

20. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

"Take it eeeeassssy!"

21. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Guess I'm not super surprised the dates are happening, but I remember Henley saying shortly after Glenn's death that the Eagles were forever done.

Money talks, though. Everybody's got mortgage payments, I suppose.

Christopher B and GroovyGuy like this.
  22. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I think this just might be my favorite comment of all time on SHMF.

Sternodox and SoporJoe like this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yep. I have a complete Eagles studio collection, but I have never seen a great band give a less compelling live show, except on occasions where it seemed due to health or substance abuse issues. They generally stood there like statues and tried to replicate their recordings, right down to every note of every solo, to the extent that I felt like I was listening to a CD while looking at some people standing around a mountain backdrop.

The only exception was Joe Walsh who seemed to be having a lot of fun, and even improvised on his solo spotlights. A rare case where the substance abuser made the show.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  24. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

nice score. i am paying twice that to see rundgren and think it's a deal.

footlooseman and Rfreeman like this.
  25. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

No. No, I am not.

seed_drill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.