The Eagles Touring With Glenn Frey's Son - You In ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GroovyGuy, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

is it still the eagles if only one original member is still in the band?

or should it be called the don henley band?

just askin.

Scott Balz and daca like this.
  2. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

Only if it were the Eagles....of Death Metal!

wavethatflag and GroovyGuy like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'd go for the triple bill:

Mojo Nixon
    Eagles of Death Metal
    Eagles

Now that would be something.

Travadinho likes this.
  4. Answer to the original question: No.

I'm an Eagle's fan - I like them, but they are my Wife's favorite group. We last saw them on the "Farewell I" Tour. It was enjoyable, but I think I'm past the large Concert Stage at this point. Poor viewing, crappy sound, very expensive, and the traffic jam afterwards just ruined it for me.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

While I don't have interest in a Henley-free version of the Eagles, I think they get a little more credibility as "the Eagles" because 2 of the remaining members were there during the original run.

It'd be one thing if this was a newly-formed "Eagles" with Henley and a bunch of guys who had nothing to do with the 1972-80 version, but the presence of Walsh and Schmit adds credibility...

Malina and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

makes sense.

Oatsdad likes this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've seen them twice and that's enough.

8. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

If bernie or randy or don felder any of those 3 were on board.... then maybe....
    but just joe walsh and don henly? nah

Scott Balz likes this.
  9. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

They should be called Eagle.

And there is a better chance of hell freezing over before I will ever pay to see them again.

Malina, Scott Balz and markp like this.
  10. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

I'd like to see someone just talk about their experience with the album as a review. Like someone previously mention, focus on the songs/melodies/lyrical content etc. Assigning numerical values to music is absolutely meaningless to anyone other than the reviewer unless 1) the reviewer establishes a clear operational definition of the rating system or 2) sets up a standardized scale with an average/median/point of reference. Ok, so you gave X album an 8...so what? What does that mean?

11. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

I attended the Eagles concert last night at the Grand Ole Opry House here in Nashville that was held as a private Sirius XM subscriber event. I didn't have much interest in seeing them without Glenn Frey but obviously wasn't going to turn down a free concert at a small venue. Overall it was a solid show but at times it did feel almost like we were watching a highly competent Eagles tribute band.

Vince is a good fit vocally but it's a shame that he is relegated to a minimal support role on guitar given what a brilliant musician he is. He didn't take any leads at all and was pretty much in the background when he wasn't singing. I realize they already have two excellent lead guitarists, but they could find ways to integrate him into the mix. Deacon Frey filled in competently for his father, but visually he seems out of place since he's so much younger than everybody else on stage.

I enjoyed the show but I don't think I'd go to much trouble to see them again in this configuration. We've all heard these songs a zillion times over the years, so why pay premium prices to hear note-perfect replicas of the studio versions from a band that only has a few of the core members left? I'd rather stay home and watch one of the live DVDs that capture a more authentic version of the band.

12. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

In agreement with you. Had the chance to see them last month when I was in Seattle but thought hard about it for that kind of $$ and w/o Glenn chose to pass. He was the heart and soul of the band.
    May I ask, how did you acquire the Opry passes?

13. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

SiriusXM held a random local subscriber lottery for tickets and we won a pair. If you have a Sirius subscription you'll be able to hear the entire concert during the Thanksgiving weekend on an exclusive Eagles channel they're going to run for a limited time.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If they aren't using Vince for all kinds of stuff on stage, then that's a pathetic waste of talent. Well, I hope he's getting a really good paycheck..

BluesOvertookMe and Witchy Woman like this.
  15. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That dude's mustache is somehow the one thing even worse than the actual Eagles.

But seriously though...there's plenty of bands touring with one original member, but charging the kind of prices the Eagles do for it...well, people are suckers, I guess.

Malina likes this.
  17. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

The last Eagles tour I saw was on TV...Hell Freezes Over. I'm good.

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Bummer. I've wished for them to hang it up years ago, for no other reason than being selfish in that I am a huge Joe Walsh fan and would love to see him HAVE to concentrate on his own solo career, or even better yet some more James Gang reunion stuff, rather than rake in the ez bucks as part of the Eagles (and wasting his talent IMO).

J_D__ likes this.
  19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

And Don Henley solo would be better too.

stillrockin likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

No, I would not to see that incarnation of The Eagles...I LOVE THE EAGLES.

21. Michael

give him a break he's a senior citizen now...LOL.

Malina likes this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Aren't we all! (some of us anywho)

Michael likes this.
  23. Michael

: )

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

From the examples I have heard of the post-Frey Eagles, it is highly unlikely that I will ever attend one of these shows. It is certainly their prerogative to play as long as they want, but I think it should have ended with Glenn’s passing because a lot is missing.

driverdrummer and hodgo like this.
  25. Scott Balz

Scott Balz New Member

Net worth:

Don Henley - $200 Million
    Joe Walsh - $65 Million
    Timothy B - $15 Million
    Vince Gill - $30 Million
    Glenn Frey at his passing - $90 Million

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.