The Eagles Touring With Glenn Frey's Son - You In ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GroovyGuy, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Balz

Scott Balz New Member

If there was an audience for watching someone clubbed to death on an empty street, does that make it a good thing. too? Of course not, because it is repugnant and morally wrong. This is certainly less repugnant for some, but IMO calling yourself the Eagles with only 1 original member is just wrong, especially so soon after the death of one of the two main founders. Millions would have paid to see a "Beatles" tour after Lennon passed, but the remaining members had hearts and ethics and understood it would have been an insult to their mate.

Tour under your own names or call yourselves something different, fine. I've seen Joe Walsh by himself several times and loved hearing him play the Eagles tunes there. IMO this is nothing more than the worlds highest priced Eagles tribute band.

Selling out is understandable if you're poor, but Henley has $200 M Net worth. This is all about ego and proving he can do it without Glenn, that he's the real super-hero in the Eagles, and it galls me.

Erik B. and Frozensoda like this.
  2. Scott Balz

Scott Balz New Member

Exactly! I love the Eagles and have seen them many times over the years. I listened to that GOO House concert on XM radio, and it sounded so over-produced and over-dubbed it was ridiculous. When I first tuned in the station I thought I'd missed the concert because it was on the dedicated Eagles channel and it sounded like a studio version.

I have to disagree with your Vince Gill take. There's a huge difference between Glenn Frey's smooth voice trying to twang a bit country and Vince Gill's thin country twang slurring and whining all over the place on New Kid In Town. He hit the notes, but come on.....not to mention the choice of that song as his one contribution, implying he's the "New Kid in Town" with the Eagles. A bit too smarmy for me.

Erik B. and fsutall like this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

henley, walsh, schmit, leadon and felder..........now THAT would be something to see.

from everything i've read, randy meisner just isn't healthy enough to do anything like this.

4. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I thought Vince Gill would be a lead singer-type role in The Eagles. I'll pass on the tour.

Scott Balz and melstapler like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we must all remember, this is now don henley's baby, it will be as he wants it to be, and nothing less.

driverdrummer and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. KayNicole

KayNicole Well-Known Member

I think it's great he helping the Eagles tour again! It will never be the same as with Glenn, but it keeps the music alive and touring! :)

Malina, Christopher B and ssmith3046 like this.
  7. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

I had interest till I saw ticket prices. Looked on StubHub and tix for Philadelphia started at $142 each and via Citizens Bank Park at $135. Ill pass but hope those who go enjoy the show.

Matthew Tate and KayNicole like this.
  8. I'm good. I saw them with the original line up and The Long Run line up

Christopher B likes this.
  9. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Saw them in summer 1974 with Souther Hillman Furay opening. Lots of interplay between members of both bands. Bernie came out to play banjo with SHF, Souther sang a few with the Eagles....
    I saw other great concerts but this was probably the one that shaped my musical tastes for life.
    And I remember I went with 4 girls who were not my girlfriend, just part of the group I hung around with and my other guy friends didn't want to waste their money on the Eagles.

Scott Balz and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

I actually don't disagree with your comments about Vince. Keep in mind I wrote my mini-review before SiriusXM aired the show (severely edited BTW), and the mix in the Opry was significantly different from what was broadcast. Vince's vocals were definitely not as prominent in the venue, and given the loudness of the concert it was difficult to notice the nuances that are more obvious when you're listening from home.

11. Scott Balz

Scott Balz New Member

Vince Gill is a great singer and performer. He's just not Glenn Frey. I only heard NKIT on the XM broadcast, so perhaps the rest of the concert was different. I'm a huge Frey fan, so obviously nobody is going to sound good to me. ;-) Vince did his best to reign in the country tendencies during the first part of the song, but by the end he was in full on twang mode. Very faithful to the arrangement of the song, but just hard to listen to as a GF fan.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Regardless of the situation, Vince Gill is a phenomenal tenor and an even better guitarist whom country radio will no longer play. I don’t blame him for taking the gig.

13. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I'll go if a CCR opens for them.

14. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I saw them in Auburn Alabama in 1980.....first and last time for me.

15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The Eagles tour prices are ridiculous and only those who will benefit from the upcoming so-called tax break can actually afford to see this show! Shame on Don for doing this to the fans! As my wife would say, "Why am I helping him pay for HIS retirement?"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

I would pay around 70 bucks. As much as I like Timothy and Joe, I woudnt pay 140 for this...

17. fitzchris72

fitzchris72 Forum Resident

They are playing "Jerry World" or AT&T Stadium if you like, here in Dallas. A couple of things. That place is HUGE and I've been to probably 5 shows there and everyone, the sound is atrocious. A band like the Eagles, you are going to hear those harmonies and they will be lost in that place. Second, I think it's awful confident of them thinking they can sell that place out. Finally, the CHEAPEST ticket is $160. If you've ever been in that venue at the top you know how high up and far away you are. $160 is STEEP for those seats. Top dollar ticket is $340 i believe. My guess is they will end up running Groupon specials, etc. because I just don't see it happening. I mean they will sell a butt load of tickets, but selling that place out, at those prices....Not happening.

Matthew Tate and driverdrummer like this.
  18. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I’m sure Duncan Frey has some musical talent, and it would be nice to see him up on stage, doing many of his dad’s parts.

Having said that, I’d like to see him go on a tirade of insulting Don Felder and screwing other non-Henley members past and present out of money before I’ll say he’s really his father’s son.

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It would make far more musical sense to keep Felder in the band. However he left because he disagreed with the number of millions being offered for a tour, so it's hard to get too worked up.

Malina and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

At least the Grateful Dead surviving members are touring under the name Dead and Company. And there are 3 of the original members. But I am passing on both tours. They are both shells of their former selves. Let others enjoy it but it's not for me.

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That ship sailed long ago. Felder will never work with Henley or The Eagles again.

I am surprised that Bernie Leadon was not brought back permanently after Glenn's passing. It would have provided some credibility and legitimacy to the post-Frey line-up because Leadon was a founding member, had collaborated with the band during its 2013-2015 History Of The Eagles world tour, and performed with the band at the Grammy tribute to Glenn. He claims that Frey insinuated that they would work again in the future prior to his death. Who knows, maybe Henley offered him a spot and he declined. Or maybe Henley did not want him back permanently.

22. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah, Felder rules!!!

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

For the local Nats Park show, prices appear to range from $350 down to $70 - not counting "platinum" tickets, which go all the way up to $2500! :eek:

Definitely pricey - and way more than they asked for arena shows with Frey! In 2015, I think the top non-platinum ticket clocked in under $200.

I can't remember what I paid for my ticket, but I don't think it was more than $50 or so - and that was for a decent side-stage seat maybe 100 feet from the band!

If I went to Nats Park, I'd pay at least $20 more to be much farther away - and without the band's frickin' founder!

25. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

It sure didn't take Henley long to get greedy AGAIN. Hope it bombs....except the Jimmy dates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.