The Easybeats: Album by Album Thread (pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

1. william r small

william r small Forum Resident

Everything you could possibly want to know about “Friday On My Mind.” Recording took place on 8 September 1966 at I.B.C. Studios, 35 Portland Place, Marylebone, London. Present in the studio, alongside The Easybeats were Producer Shel Talmy, Engineer Glyn Johns, Manager Mike Vaughan, Equipment Manager Sam Horsburgh, Luxembough / BBC Radio DJ Alan Freeman, soon-to-be Easybeats publicist Brian Sommerville, “Everybody’s Magazine” Music Editor Maggie Makeig and (probably) her photographer Lee Pearce.

“Friday” was accomplished in the third completed take after two false starts. Also recorded in the then-standard three-hour session were “Made My Bed; Gonna Lie In It,” “Remember Sam” and ”Pretty Girl.” According to Makeig, this last was a strong contender for the B side until Mike Vaughan pointed out that Harry had had some trouble overdubbing his vocal. Due to his accent he had repeatedly sung “vouldn’t you” instead of “wouldn’t you” and, if the song were placed on the flip of “Friday,” it would mean frequent live performances. Thus “Made My Bed” became the choice and a fixture in the group’s live set. (Thanks to Alec Palao, Andrew Sandoval and “Everybody’s” for session details.)

According to recent research, the location in Portland Place, now called Westcott House, is now owned by Campden Investments Ltd. and currently houses the Consulate General of Columbia in London as well as Musion das Hologram Ltd., a company developing life-size hologram technologies.

team2, tages, paulisdead and 2 others like this.
  2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There was a bluegrass version of Friday on my Mind played in the background of a car chase in this week's Doctor Doctor. (Season 2, episode 8)

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

In the same episode Steve Brisley's character is driving a car when he beings to pass out. The song playing on the radio sounds like a distorted version of I'll Make You Happy.

Mike Griffiths likes this.
  4. john beattie

john beattie Active Member

Thanks for such a fantastic reply. John BT

5. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I am starting to think they are making these cds to order!

6. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Still don’t have your order yet?

7. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Just FYI you should start seeing Absolute Anthology appearing in JB HiFi and Sanity shortly, if not already (prolly a day too soon but you can ask if they are still boxed). You will also start slowly seeing reissues of:

The Complete Box
    The Definitive Anthology
    Extended Play

The latter two have a catalogue date of 18 August but like the others they have yet to make any obvious appearance. None of these three are remastered, only Absolute Anthology. But honestly, did people really expect anything different?

Not sure why they decided to release Absolute Anthology and Definitive Anthology but <shrugs>...

Mike Griffiths and Mylene like this.
  8. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

nope! still waiting on it to be shipped! oh yea heard from the ABC the easybeats docudrama will air this year !

9. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

ok I went to a store and picked it up! why Is it on 4 cds? seems a bit wasteful.

10. paulisdead

Yeah, why would you bother with Definitive Anthology?

Mike Griffiths and Jae like this.
  11. paulisdead

You're kidding us, right? Any extra content?

12. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

no extras ! 43 tracks spread over 4 cds and 2 page booklet replicating the vinyl notes in a fat pack cd its also now in Australian ITunes and mastered for iTunes at $16.99 the mastering on this sounds pretty good better than I expected !

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Worth a repurchase?

14. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

probably yes ! just listening to "do you have a soul" and the echo is really pronounced on is the song sounds very clear.

15. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Thanks. Look forward to your thoughts after further listening.

16. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Yeah, I heard that a few months ago and thought the person telling me had misunderstood but apparently not. Very odd decision.

Mike Griffiths and fitzysbuna like this.
  17. garethofoz

garethofoz Forum Resident

At least you can replicate the original experience of having to change sides / discs every 25 mins or so... LOL...

18. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Just don't turn the CD over...

19. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

20. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

ok I have had a listen and its pretty decent mastering on this it still has issues of drop outs and other things I am starting to think maybe the original masters have been destroyed. the sound on these is not as bright as the second repertoire cd releases so that is a good thing. they are loud but not as loud or compressed as second repertoire releases. I give this release a mark of A- it is better than the first cd issue of Absolute Anthology.

21. paulisdead

I am surprised they bothered using the 1980 master. It was mastered for vinyl and had all the bottom end stripped form it (Don does a good job at to restoring it) to cram-in more tracks per-side (which is ironic given how this current CD package has been released).

Most of the master tapes are with Alberts (or the NFSA). Some have yet to be confirmed, but the point is - they would still have enough tapes and acetates to create a new master. Those acetate based tracks on the UK discs could sound better with modern restoration plug-ins. That would be the better option, rather than the 1970s attempt (cutting the highs to hide the vinyl crackle and hiss).

22. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

23. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Here's my assessment:

Artwork: Despite the marketing blurb, there's been no serious attempt at all to replicate either the original vinyl artwork or the CD artwork. A four page insert with member bio in the centre two pages is it. Back cover AND CDs have typos - "You Got *If* Off Me" and "Peculiar Hole In Sky", plus other inconsistencies like "Falling of *The* Edge of *the* World". This, and the obvious lack of research (only one LP release? No previous CD release?) point to a very lazy and hastily put together package. Just compare it to the attention given to the Vigil RSD LP release, for example.

Audio: I have compared closely to my 1990 CBS CD. The new release is no doubt taken from the same tapes. Indeed, at one point I thought Don had merely used a rip of the CBS CD as his source, but there's too much "drift" to suggest that was the case. Most** anomolies (clicks, dropouts, channel imbalances, original Alberts mastering etc) present in the original tracks are present here. So what's different? The new release has normalised all tracks to 96.7%. So no dynamic variation between loud and soft tracks (ie rockers vs ballads). This limiting means that all tracks get, on average, a 3 to 5db volume boost (with associated limiting). There are some EQ variations between some of the tracks, rather inconsistent I hasten to add, with the new tracks exhibiting a brightness that some might find a tad brittle. I certainly prefer the "warmer" original tracks but there might be some bias in there. No other real differences of note. (NB: I limited the old tracks to match the new, so what some may hear as increased bass etc is merely just the result of the limiting).

My assessment - if you have the original AA CDs you don't need this. Just put your original CD in, turn the volume to your preferred level, then add another 4db to get the "new" CD experience. If you don't have the AA discs, then these might be a nicer alternative to the most recent Repertoire offerings.

**I did notice a few clicks removed from the occasional fade out.

For those who care about such things, wave comparison of FOMM (old CBS CD on top, new BMG CD on bottom)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(There are worse tracks - You Said That in particular is boosted by near 6db!)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Just heard on the radio George Young has died.

One of the greats. RIP.

25. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

yes Rip! anybody know the cause of death ?