The Easybeats: Album by Album Thread (pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Happy Birthday
    George Redburn Young!

(November 6,1946)
    He would have been 71 years old today.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

anyone know what George died from ? I am starting to get worried about Harry Vanda now as apart from was it a tweet or facebook comment? really not much from him at all considering he seems to been the most active doing interviews .

Mike Griffiths likes this.
  3. No cause of death reported by Harry or any other close friend or family member.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  4. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Harry is a private person which is why we received such a short (but powerful) tribute.

"Dear George, Rest in Peace my dear friend. Harry Vanda" - Harry Vanda

I think Harry will respect George's family's wishes and let them make a statement, if they feel they need to.

5. william r small

william r small Forum Resident

The Repertoire Series (an overview)
    [​IMG]

Beginning in earnest as a recognized CD reissue label in 1989, this Hamburg-based enterprise, overseen by chairman Robert Neelsen, has long established itself as a high profile source for reissued material from the 1960s and ‘70s. By 1992 the label had begun releasing material from a variety of available overseas sources. Archive releases included The Lovin’ Spoonful, The Zombies, The Move, The Foundations, The Small Faces, The Sweet and many others. Legally licensed, the quality is usually dependable and they have done a thorough job of researching and presenting artists’ career retrospectives.

In 1992 an agreement had been made with Albert Productions in Sydney, not just for an isolated LP reissue but for The Easybeats’ entire catalogue! Every legitimately released Easybeats track was included in this arrangement, some of this being material that collectors had long been searching for (though a couple European versions of songs had apparently escaped Alberts’ attention). The plan called for the CD release of each of The Easybeats’ seven original albums, each edition topped off with extra selections in the form of rare singles and EP tracks. In addition, Repertoire had a couple surprises up their collective sleeves in the form of several previously unissued re-mixes and instrumental backing tracks.

Sources for these unissued tracks came from two distinct areas. Having gained access to Shel Talmy’s personal collection of original 4-track session reels while assembling a previous project, Repertoire was able to duplicate some of these multi-track tapes and accomplish re-mixes on some songs from the sessions. These modern re-mixes were done without Talmy’s participation or approval. In addition to this, a couple stage-one instrumental backing tracks had leaked out from Olympic, probably when Virgin Music had assumed control of the studio in 1987, and a number of unclaimed tapes had been dumped unceremoniously into a skip dumpster outside the building. Repertoire had gained access to some of these and had re-mixed them without input from the group.

By 1992 it appears that Albert Productions in Sydney had duplicated their Easybeats tape library to the digital domain and it was these versions which were made available to Repertoire. In a couple cases anomalies exist from the transfers and these are mentioned beneath the appropriate CD descriptions as they are noted here. (For example the opening saxophone note of “St. Louis,” which is missing from all Repertoire releases.) The overall sound quality, however, is quite good considering the CD standards of 1992, though there will always be someone to complain about mastering loudness or brickwalling. These releases, though occasionally flawed, still set the standard for The Easybeats’ body of material in the new millennium.

Liner notes by Glenn A. Baker are identical in each volume and provide an adequate overview of the group’s history, though no individual tracks are discussed. These writings are adapted from Baker’s earlier notes for the 1986 CD version of “Absolute Anthology,” which were, in turn, taken from the Tour Book prepared for the group’s Reunion Tour during the same year. A half-dozen photographs are distributed among the booklets in the various CDs.

Like many licensing arrangements with Albert Productions, this agreement obviously included “coupling rights” (industry-speak for the right to create compilations with tracks in any running order desired), thus a number of later Repertoire collections were issued with randomly programmed selections.

The contents of each of the initial CD packages will be detailed in the order of Repertoire’s original release beginning in 1992 with the first three reissues which consist of the group’s UK LPs. Following this first series of three posts, the remaining four Australian-only albums will be dealt with as a separate group. As mentioned, general comments about each package are included with each post. Detailed information about the tracks has been researched extensively and is as complete and accurate as I can make it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Mike Griffiths, D.B., team2 and 3 others like this.
  6. william r small

Friday On My Mind (CD, Germany, Repertoire REP- 4162- WY)

[​IMG]

Released 1992.
    Front and back covers designed to mimic the US album of the same name.
    Issued under license from Albert Productions.

1. River Deep, Mountain High
    2. Do You Have a Soul (edited version - 2:38 )
    3. Saturday Night
    4. You Me, We Love
    5. Pretty Girl
    6. Friday On My Mind
    7. Happy Is the Man
    8. Hound Dog (mono)
    9. Who’ll Be the One
    10. Made My Bed, Gonna Lie In It
    11. Remember Sam
    12. See Line Woman

Additional Tracks –
    13. Heaven and Hell
    14. Do You Have A Soul (long version – 2:58)
    15. Women (Make You Feel Alright) (mono)
    16. All Gone Boy (different mix, previously unreleased)
    17. You Me, We Love (different mix, previously unreleased)
    18. Lisa (different mix, previously unreleased)

All tracks stereo unless otherwise indicated. All songs produced for Albert Productions by Shel Talmy except 13 (Glyn Johns) and 15 (Ted Albert). Recordings made at I.B.C. Studios, Marylebone London; Pye Studios, Westminster London; Olympic Studios, Barnes London and (probably) EMI Studios, Castlereagh Street, Sydney. Additional musicians: Nicky Hopkins, piano; harpsichord (track 13); George Alexander, sax (track 8).

Repertoire’s initial Easybeats offering sets a template of sorts for those that would follow. Cover art replicates the front and back covers of the original LP release, in this case the US version since the front cover was probably seen to market this collection to a new audience in a more direct fashion than its UK vinyl counterpart. An inner booklet prints Glenn A Baker’s brief historical essay along with a couple photographs. Some notation is given about the tracks, correct except for the timings mentioned above and a couple producer credits. An Australian and German discography is also included which includes some global rarities.

Each CD in the series opens with the running order of the original album, followed by a group of assorted “additional tracks.” Here, however, the compilers have blundered a bit. Despite the US cover art, the running order of the songs follows the original twelve titles from the UK stereo release from June 1967. Unfortunately Track Two is the pointless edited version originally only released (in mono) on 45 rpm in Australia; the complete recording, as released on the original UK and US vinyl, can be found later, out of sequence, in the program as additional Track 14. The original stereo program is further compromised by the inclusion of Track 8 in a mono (possibly fold-down) version of a title which was released in a stereo mix on the original UK vinyl releases (it does appear in stereo later in the Repertoire series).

Tracks 16-18 are newly created stereo mixes made from Talmy’s personal multi-track tapes without his input. The four discreet channels are spread across the stereo picture in a different image without noticeable sonic improvement. In Track 18 Stevie can be heard addressing the control room at 2:38 in a comment which was omitted from the originally released mono mix.

Overall sound quality is excellent throughout, especially by 1992 standards, and reveals the care evident in the engineering and mix of the original recordings by producer Talmy and engineer Glyn Johns. The interplay between guitars is well defined as are the nonsense backing vocals which decorate the songs. The high end is clean and clear if not a bit bright. Low end is present but not overwhelming. Believe it or not, this is still the go-to CD version of this album despite the qualifications mentioned above.

Not included in this package but possibly belonging there is an alternative recording of Who’ll Be the One as heard only on the US United Artists mono LP “Friday On My Mind” (UAL 3588) which features an alternative mix of the instrumental track and a different lead vocal performance.

The contents of this compilation was reissued unchanged in 2004 as part of the Australian box set “The Complete Easybeats” (AlbertProductions 82876866332). The Repertoire CD was reissued in 2006 as REP-5038, housed in a “digipak” package with cover art replicating the original German vinyl LP. That reissue added the following mono tracks to the program: Friday On My Mind, Made My Bed; Gonna Lie In It, Who’ll Be the One, Saturday Night, Heaven and Hell, Pretty Girl. These added selections are designated as “mono singles mixes” but sound like fold-downs from the stereo versions.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Mylene, team2, tages and 3 others like this.
  7. william r small

Vigil (CD, Germany, Repertoire REP 4240-WY)

[​IMG]

Released 1992.
    Front and back covers designed to imitate UK album release.

1. Good Times
    2. What In the World
    3. Falling Off the Edge of the World
    4. The Music Goes Round My Head
    5. Can’t Take My Eyes Off You
    6. Sha La La
    7. Come In You’ll Get Pneumonia
    8. See Saw
    9. Land of Make Believe
    10. Fancy Seeing You Here
    11. Hello How Are You
    12. Hit the Road Jack
    13. We All Live Happily Together
    14. I Can’t Stand It

Additional Tracks –
    15. Good Times (alternative mix, previously unreleased)
    16. Lay Me Down and Die (instrumental version)
    17. Lay Me Down and Die (vocal version)
    18. Bring A Little Lovin’
    19. The Music Goes Round My Head (fast version)
    20. Hello How Are You (first version)
    21. Come In You’ll Get Pneumonia (first version)
    22. Falling Off the Edge of the World (second version)

Tracks 3 – 15 are stereo; 16 – 22 are mono. Track 1 is the 1968 stereo LP mix but inexplicably folded into near-mono sound. Track 2 is the 1968 mono mix but reprocessed into a “fake stereo effect.” Songs produced for Albert Productions by The Easybeats and Mike Vaughan; except 1, 9 and 15 produced by Glyn Johns. Orchestral Arrangements on Tracks 4, 6, 19-22 by Bill Shepherd; track 11 arrangement by Alan Tew. Recordings made at Pye Studios, Westminster London; Central Sound, Camden London; Olympic Studios, Barnes London; A&R Studios, New York City. Known additional musicians: Nicky Hopkins, piano, harpsichord (track 9); George Alexander, sax (track 7); Olivia Newton John, Pat Carroll, backing vocals (tracks 7, 21); ‘My Dear Watson’ group, percussion (track 14); unknown, mellotron. (tracks 7, 8, 9)

Repertoire’s sophomore installment in their CD series sees an excellent reproduction of the group’s second UK album release from June 1968. The CD cover graphics mimic the original UK vinyl album, both front and back. The inner booklet reprints the same Glenn A Baker liner notes and photos from the previous CD release, including an Australian / German discography which also incorporates a few global oddities.

The running order of the disc opens with the UK version of “Vigil” in its original 14-track form. For most of this material (tracks 3-14), this is still the best-sounding available source for these songs in their vintage stereo mixes. There are inaccuracies in the first two tracks mentioned above, but these are most likely inherent in the source files which Repertoire received from Albert Productions.

Tracks 15 – 17 and 19 -- 22 feature alternative mixes or versions of songs heard earlier on the disc. Track 15 is a widely separated stereo mix, unique to this CD and different from the version heard on US Rhino releases. Tracks 16-22, all mono, are reproduced as heard on various releases from Australia, Italy, Germany and England, most taken from commercial discs. Track 18 is a Central Sound demo as issued on the original Australian version of the LP. Track 22 is identified as coming from the UK version of the “Vigil” LP but this is incorrect; it is derived from UK single UP-2209.

The overall sound quality is again excellent throughout, especially by 1992 standards, with the overdubbed orchestral arrangements being clear and well-defined, usually much cleaner than the original vinyl versions of these songs. The high end is quite clear while the lows are present but not overwhelming. This is still the best CD version of this album despite the qualifications mentioned above.

Not included in this package, but possibly belonging there, are alternative mixes of Land of Make Believe and We All Live Happily from Italian United Artists single UA 3145; yet a different mix of Land from UK single UP-2219; the longer edit of Music Goes Round My Head from French single UA 38 205 and the US single version of Falling Off the Edge of the World (UA 50206) which was issued lacking some of the later overdubs found on the LP version.

The contents of this compilation were reissued unchanged in 2004 as part of the Australian box set “The Complete Easybeats” (Albert Productions).

Mylene, team2, tages and 1 other person like this.
  8. william r small

Friends (CD, Germany, Repertoire REP 4278-WY)

[​IMG]

Released 1992.
    Front and back covers designed to imitate UK album release.

1. St. Louis (mono)
    2. Friends (George vocal) (mono)
    3. Watching the World (Go By) (mono)
    4. Can’t Find Love (mono)
    5. Holding On
    6. I Love Marie (mono)
    7. Rock and Roll Boogie
    8. Tell Your Mother
    9. The Train Song
    10. What Becomes of You My Love
    11. Woman You’re On My Mind

Additional tracks --
    12. Peculiar Hole In the Sky (mono)
    13. Gonna Make It (mono)
    14. H. P. Man (mono)
    15. Down To the Last 500 (mono)
    16. My Old Man’s A Groovy Old Man (vocal) (mono)
    17. Such A Lovely Day (mono)
    18. Who Are My Friends (Harry vocal)
    19. Look Out I’m On the Way Down (mono)
    20. Little Red Bucket (mono)
    21. Remember Sam (different mix, previously unreleased)
    22. Pretty Girl (different mix, previously unreleased)

All songs stereo unless otherwise indicated. Tracks 1 and 4 produced by Ray Singer. Track 16 produced by Glyn Johns. Tracks 21 and 22 produced by Shel Talmy. All other songs produced by Vanda and Young. Orchestral arrangements on tracks 12 and 20 by Bill Shepherd. Horn arrangement on track 1 probably George Alexander. Recordings made at Moscow Road, Bayswater London; Olympic Studios, Barnes London; Central Sound, Camden London; Pye Studios, Westminster London and I.B.C. Studios, Marylebone London. Additional musicians: Nicky Hopkins, piano (tracks 16, 21, 22); George Alexander, sax (tracks 1, 11).

Third installment in Repertoire’s CD series sees an interesting reproduction of the group’s final album release. The CD cover graphics mimic the original UK vinyl album, both front and back. The inner booklet reprints the same Glenn A Baker liner notes from the previous CD release, this time with a pair of different photos. A credits page inside refers to original sources for the songs and this is mostly correct except for noting the Shel Talmy tracks as being recorded at Olympic Studio. These were in fact recorded at I.B.C. Studios in London. A notation on this page indicates the material was licensed from Albert Productions. The package also includes a German / Australian discography.

Despite the UK cover art, the running order of the disc opens with the Australian version of the “Friends” album in its original 11-track form, track two featuring the George-sung version of Friends. The selections boast a good clean mono sound despite the source being a vinyl record for the original LP material (a needle skip can be heard at 1:40 into the track I Love Marie). The first saxophone note of St. Louis has been edited, probably in the course of transfer of the material to digital, since all Repertoire versions of the song carry the same error.

The CD consists primarily of demo recordings, though of a standard usually quite high. Most material from the original LP release was recorded at Vanda and Young’s studio flat at No. 16 Moscow Road, London on their 4-track home equipment (tracks 2, 3, 5-11, 13, 18); remaining demos are from Central Sound (tracks 14, 15, 17, 19). Other than the record skip mentioned, sound quality is very good throughout and the extra tracks, some taken from acetate disc, have been cleaned up to a high standard. Tracks 21 and 22 are new stereo mixes created from Shel Talmy’s four-track tapes but add little to the music’s enjoyment.

The Repertoire CD was reissued in 2006 as REP-5071, housed in a “digipak” package with the same contents and cover art. This collection has never been released in Australia.

9. I sent an email directly to Repertoire and alerted them to the skip at 1:40 on 'I Love Marie'. They replied with a comment to the effect of "we'll have to fix that." They were working on an updated digi-pak version, which included the corrected skip. No thanks to me in the credits but I felt satisfied to have a new version without the skip.

Mylene, team2, martink and 2 others like this.
  10. garethofoz

garethofoz Forum Resident

Nice work there, Mike. Shame they've never fixed the sax intro on "St Loyis" though.

I bought all three of these when they came out, and enjoyed them, although there was little here that I didn't have on vinyl. I found them through an advert in "Record Collector" placed by an independent retailer in Yorkshire, now sadly defunct. I couldn't wait for them to arrive and I was not disappointed. Sure, with hindsight they could have been better but Repertoire has kept these in print and in the shops for twenty-five years, for which we should be grateful.

Anyone know why the "Friends" CD has never appeared in Australia?

11. andrewsandoval

andrewsandoval Senior Member

It is my feeling that Polydor/Universal Music Group actually own these masters - Alberts does not. This is likely why a disc was used instead of the tape. Motown still had an album master when I worked through their library in the early 1990's.

12. william r small

Thank you Andrew. Ownership of this material has been an ongoing source of debate on this Thread. Page 2 of the Repertoire booklet for their Friends CD clearly states it to be “Made under license from Albert Productions.” No mention of PolyGram. We do know for sure that the publishing was assumed by J. Albert & Son in the early ’80s, so what are we to think?

And why no Australian release? One credible theory is that George and Harry requested Alberts to hold it back due to the large number of “home demos” it contained. If the duo were forced to “pay off” their Polydor deal with these tapes in 1969 then it might be understandable that they might not have a high regard for the overall album. (It certainly doesn’t sound bad to me. In fact I find it a fascinating glimpse into their working methods.)

Interesting to learn that Motown still had a master. Can’t recall if it’s been stated on this Thread before but Rare Earth did have this album briefly scheduled for release in 1970 and it was listed in American Schwann catalogues under the title Easy Ridin’ (RS-517) for a couple months. I tried ordering it myself but it never came.

13. garethofoz

Thanks for that contribution, Andrew. This confirms that Motown did at least receive the tapes for the album, even if the label chose not to release it. Motown never owned the rights, of course - it was a lease deal. I guess the multi-million dollar question here is whether the Motown master followed the UK, Australian or Canadian track listing.

14. paulisdead

Lot of Easybeats activity happening in the lead up to the ABC-TV mini-series Friday On My Mind.

As discussed already on this thread is the re-issue of Absolute Anthology and vinyl. But also a new tribute EP to be released 24 November titled Rebeat.

AU: Celebrating The Easybeats

[​IMG]

Contemporary Australian artists BOOM TISH (a solo project from Daniel Johns of silverchair fame), The Bamboos & Montiaigne, KLP, LDRU & Nicole Millar and San Cisco feature on the covers EP.

And promoting all things Easybeats is a new official Facebook page and a new official YouTube channel featuring lyric videos from the Rebeat EP.

Hello, How Are You by BOOM TISH

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Mike Griffiths and garethofoz like this.
  15. paulisdead

Good Times by KLP (my personal favourite so far from the EP).

16. paulisdead

I'll Make You Happy - The Bamboos (feat. Monatigne)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  17. william r small

Easy (CD, Germany, Repertoire REP 4284-WY)

[​IMG]

Released 1992.
    Front cover designed to imitate Australian album release.

1. It’s So Easy
    2. I’m A Madman
    3. I Wonder
    4. She Said Alright
    5. I’m Gonna Tell Everybody
    6. Hey Girl
    7. She’s So Fine
    8. You Got It Off Me
    9. Cry Cry Cry
    10. A Letter
    11. Easy Beat
    12. You’ll Come Back Again
    13. Girl On My Mind
    14. Ya Can’t Do That

Additional tracks –
    15. For My Woman
    16. Say That You’re Mine
    17. The Old Oak Tree
    18. Friday On My Mind (different mix, previously unreleased) stereo
    19. Lisa (different mix, previously unreleased) stereo
    20. Find My Way Back Home
    21. No One Knows
    22. She’s So Fine (Live)

All tracks recorded in mono unless otherwise indicated; tracks 1-14 are simulated stereo. All songs produced by Ted Albert except 18 and 19 produced by Shel Talmy; 20 and 22, producer unknown (no producer credit on original vinyl releases for these tracks). Recordings made at EMI Studios, Castlereagh St., Sydney; 2UW Theatre, George St., Sydney; Armstrong Studio, Albert Rd., S. Melbourne; Sidney Myer Music Bowl, Linlithgow Ave., Melbourne; I.B.C. Studios, Portland Place, Marylebone London. Additional musicians: Bobby Bright, harmonica (track 14), Nicky Hopkins, piano (tracks 18,19).

Fourth entry in Repertoire’s series of CDs jumps back chronologically to The Easybeats’ first LP. Cover art replicates the front and back covers of the original Australian LP release. The inner booklet again reprints Baker’s historical essay as well as the same two photos from the previous CD in the series. Notation given about the tracks is correct except for designating the Talmy tracks as being recorded at Olympic Studios; these were both recorded at I.B.C. Production is assigned to Ted Albert but additional production credit is given above as best known. An Australian and German discography is included in the booklet along with some global rarities.

The CD opens with the 14 tracks as heard on the original LP, released in September 1965, followed by additional tracks recorded in 1965. Two Talmy-produced UK tracks (recorded September ’66 and February ’67) are included for no apparent reason and a live version of She’s So Fine, recorded at Myer Music Bowl in March 1966 also defies the chronology.

Tracks 1-14 are simulated stereo as previously heard on the Alberts LP release APLP 057. The overall sound here is pleasing with both high and low ends present. The recordings appear to have been transferred from tape and the sound quality of the extra tracks is quite strong. Tracks 18 and 19 are new stereo mixes created from Shel Talmy’s four-track tapes but add little to the music’s enjoyment. Track 21, described as dating “from The Easybeats’ first recording sessions,” is almost certainly an out-take from the “Easy” LP.

This compilation was reissued in 2004 as part of the Australian box set “The Complete Easybeats” (Albert Productions). The Repertoire CD was reissued in 2006 as REP-5054, housed in a “digipak” package with the same contents and cover art.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    team2, Mylene, paulisdead and 2 others like this.
  18. william r small

It’s 2 Easy (CD, Germany, Repertoire REP-4302-WY)

[​IMG]

Released 1993.
    Front and back covers designed to imitate Australian album release.

1. Let Me Be
    2. You Are the Light
    3. Women
    4. Come and See Her
    5. I’ll Find Somebody To Take Your Place
    6. Someway, Somewhere
    7. Easy As Can Be
    8. I Can See
    9. Sad and Lonely and Blue
    10. Somethin’ Wrong
    11. In My Book
    12. What About Our Love
    13. Then I’ll Tell You Goodbye
    14. Wedding Ring

Additional tracks –
    15. Me Or You
    16. Too Much
    17. I’ll Make You Happy
    18. A Very Special Man
    19. Trying So Hard
    20. Friday On My Mind (“hit single” version)
    21. Made My Bed; Gonna Lie In It (different mix, previously unreleased) stereo
    22. Happy Is the Man (different mix, previously unreleased) stereo
    23. How You Doing Now (previously unreleased)
    24. All Gone Boy
    25. Mandy

All tracks recorded in mono unless otherwise indicated, tracks 1-14 are simulated stereo. All songs produced by Ted Albert except 20-22 and 24 produced by Shel Talmy. (No producer credit on original vinyl LP release.) Recordings made at EMI Studios, Sydney; Armstrong Studios, Melbourne; I.B.C. Studios, Marylebone London; Pye Studios, Westminster London; Abbey Road Studios, Westminster London. Additional musicians: Nicky Hopkins, piano (tracks 20-22, 24).

Group’s second (Australian) LP release was the subject of the next item in Repertoire’s CD series. Front and back LP covers are both represented in the CD packaging. The inner booklet again reprints Baker’s familiar essay, this time with four photographs new to the series. Notation about the tracks is correct except for designating the Talmy tracks as being recorded at Olympic; correct studio credit would be I.B.C. and Pye. An Australian and German discography is included along with some global rarities.

The CD begins with 14 tracks from the original LP, released in March, 1966, followed by additional tracks recorded in 1965, ‘66 and ‘67. Tracks 1-14 are simulated stereo as heard on vinyl record APLP.058. Despite this, the overall sound here is pleasing and the recordings appear to have been transferred from tape. Track 20, described as “Mono hit single version” is nothing more than a fold-down of the stereo mix. Tracks 21 and 22 are new stereo mixes created from Shel Talmy’s four-track tapes to no real benefit. Track 23 is a previously unreleased out-take from the LP sessions.

This compilation was reissued in 2004 as part of the Australian box set “The Complete Easybeats” (Albert Productions).

19. william r small

Volume 3 (CD, Germany, Repertoire REP-4303-WY)

[​IMG]

Released 1993.
    Front and back covers re-designed from the original LP release.

1. Sorry
    2. Funny Feelin’
    3. Say You Want Me
    4. You Said That
    5. Goin’ Out Of My Mind
    6. Not In Love With You
    7. Promised Things
    8. The Last Day Of May
    9. Today
    10. My My My
    11. Dance Of the Lovers
    12. What Do You Want Babe
    13. Can’t You Leave Her

Additional tracks –
    14. Hound Dog (stereo mix)
    15. Do You Have A Soul (alternative mix, previously unreleased) stereo
    16. Saturday Night (alternative mix, previously unreleased) stereo
    17. My Old Man’s A Groovy Old Man (alternative mix, previously unreleased) stereo
    18. The Easybeats – Medley (alternative edit, previously unreleased)
    19. Mean Old Lovin’
    20. I’m Happy
    21. Hey Babe
    22. I Don’t Agree
    23. Keep Your Hands Off My Babe
    24. I’m Just Trying

All tracks recorded in mono unless otherwise indicated. Tracks 1-13 produced by Ted Albert and Tony Geary (as designated on original vinyl LP release). Tracks 14-16 produced by Shel Talmy. Track 17 produced by Glyn Johns. Track 18 original recordings produced by Ted Albert and Shel Talmy, edited and assembled by Albert engineers. Tracks 19-23 produced by Ted Albert. Track 24 produced by Vanda & Young. Recordings made at EMI Studios, Sydney; Armstrong Studios, Melbourne; I.B.C. Studios, Marylebone London; Pye Studios, Westminster London; Olympic Studios, Barnes London; 2UW Theatre, Sydney; Central Sound Studio, Camden London. Additional musicians: Nicky Hopkins, piano (tracks 14-18).

Next installment in Repertoire’s series was the LP “Volume 3” with front and back covers re-designed using art elements from the original vinyl release. The inner booklet again recycles the familiar Glenn A. Baker overview, this time using the same four photos which decorated the previous Repertoire CD release. Notation about the tracks mistakenly describes Track 15 as a different take but it is in reality an alternative mix. Track 17, claimed to be taken from Talmy’s tapes, is actually recorded by Glyn Johns. The remaining tracks are as described in the booklet. An Australian and German discography is included along with some global rarities.

The CD opens with the 13 songs from the original LP, first issued in November 1966. Track 14 is the original stereo mix as released in 1967. Tracks 15-16 are new stereo mixes created from Shel Talmy’s personal four-track tapes. Track 17, reportedly taken from Talmy’s tapes, is in reality the instrumental backing track to the song, recorded by Glyn Johns at Olympic. Track 18 is a newly created approximation of the 1986 single “Historeasy” (Albert AP-1871) but presented here without the overdubbed percussion track heard on the original 45 rpm vinyl release. Many tracks on this disc are of disappointing quality, almost certainly taken from a vinyl source in the absence of missing master tapes, but in a transfer that is far from satisfactory.

This compilation was reissued in 2004 as part of the Australian box set “The Complete Easybeats” (Albert Productions). The Repertoire CD was reissued in 2006 as REP-5070, housed in a “digipak” package with the same contents and cover art.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  20. william r small

The Shame Just Drained (CD, Germany, Repertoire REP-4304-WY)

[​IMG]

Released 1993.
    Front and back covers designed to imitate original Australian album release. The inside cover spread found in the original LP release is included in the booklet. Issued under license from Albert Productions.

1. Little Queenie
    2. Baby I’m A Comin’
    3. Lisa
    4. I’m On Fire
    5. Wait A Minute
    6. We’ll Make It Together
    7. Peter
    8. Me and My Machine
    9. The Shame Just Drained
    10. Mr. Riley of Higginbottom & Clive
    11. Kelly
    12. Where Old Men Go
    13. Johnny No-One
    14. Amanda Storey
    15. Station On Third Avenue

Additional tracks –
    16. Do You Have A Soul (different mix, previously unreleased) stereo
    17. Where Did You Go Last Night (previously unreleased backing track from Olympic sessions) stereo
    18. Watch Me Burn
    19. Where Did You Go Last Night (complete version)
    20. Heaven and Hell (US single version)
    21. Happy Is the Man (mono mix)
    22. Land of Make Believe (Australian mono mix)
    23. Coke Jingle #1
    24. Coke Ads #2 & 3

All songs recorded in mono unless otherwise indicated. Tracks 1, 2 produced by Ted Albert. Tracks 3, 16, 21 produced by Shel Talmy. Tracks 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 18 produced by Vanda & Young. Tracks 6, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22 produced by Glyn Johns. Tracks 23, 24 produced by Pat Aulton. Orchestral arrangements Bill Shepherd (track 14). Recordings made at 2UW Theatre, Sydney; Abbey Road Studios, Westminster London; I.B.C. Studios, Marylebone London; Central Sound Studio, Camden London; Olympic Studios, Barnes London; Pye Studios, Westminster London; EMI Studios, Sydney. Additional musicians: Nicky Hopkins, piano (tracks 3, 6, 16, 17, 19, 21, 22), harpsichord (tracks 17, 19, 20, 22); Freddie Smith, drums (tracks 6, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 22); unknown, mellotron (tracks 6, 12, 22).

The group’s 1977 LP anthology collection is presented here, rounding up an assortment of previously unavailable recordings in random order. Front and back covers are represented in the CD packaging. Glenn A. Baker’s familiar essay is once again included, this time with individual photos replaced by a reproduction of the inside cover spread found in the original LP release. Errors in track notations are described below. An Australian and German discography is included including some global rarities.

The CD begins with the 15 tracks presented on the original LP, released in October 1977. The bulk of these songs consist of tracks recorded at Olympic Studio towards a never-released LP (tracks 6, 10, 12, 15) and of demonstration recordings made at Central Sound for offer to outside artists (tracks 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 18). Tracks 13 and 15 have had brief intro’s clipped in the transfer to digital, probably by an engineer who thought the tapes opened with slight false starts. Some tracks on this disc are of disappointing quality, taken from vinyl sources in the absence of missing master tapes. A disclaimer in the booklet mentions this.

Notes about the tracks should contain the following corrections – Track 14 has been determined to be an Easybeats-produced out-take from sessions recorded in late 1967 at Pye. Track 16 is not an alternate take from Olympic but is in reality a new re-mix from Talmy’s original four-track tape. Track 21 is not an alternate take but rather the original 1967 mono mix with noticeable tape drop-outs. Track 22 is not a “rough mix’ but is instead a finished mono mix previously released on Australian copies of “Vigil.” Track 17 is mis-titled “Check the Bassline” on the back cover.

This compilation was reissued in 2004 as part of the Australian box set “The Complete Easybeats” (Albert Productions).

21. paulisdead

The chronologically confusing bonus tracks on the Repertoire CDs are one of the reasons I wanted to start the thread in the first. I'm loving Bill's posts as it's like the whole thing is coming full circle (and yet there's still more releases to come!).

Regardless of the order of the bonus tracks (a problem solved these days by playlists), Repertoire still did an amazing job.

22. william r small

Thank you Paulisdead. I’ve tried to set the record straight on these Repertoire CDs and pack these posts with as much accurate information as I can. This involved some careful research, a bit of intense listening and some very careful proofreading because I agree that Repertoire did inded do an amazing job. I believe everything here is right and hopefully not too cluttered or boring. If you read these entries carefully you can get a pretty fair picture of the producers, the studios and the players who were there to make the music. And yes, in way this is coming full circle since your first post here over four and a half years ago. But also, yes, we still do have a ways to go. Thanks for starting the ball rolling! ~Bill

23. garethofoz

I agree - really nice to get these reissues down. Good write up Bill.

I remember playing Volume 3 a lot when I got it - it was then and still is now the only version I have ever heard. I agree the sound is poor but when it's all you've got...

I also agree with Paulisdead about the random bonus tracks which really irritated me at the time, particularly on these last four releases. Not sure how I would reorder them though and still fit the running times, but there is something truly jarring about Volume 3 in particular, jumping from Australia 1966 to London 1967 then the medley then back to the early demo sessions and then wrappng up at Central Sound. It never made much sense to me.

But Repertoire have done a huge service in keeping this stuff on the market, so let's be thankful for what we've got.

24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Friday on my Mind

[​IMG]

It has swagger, rawness and testosterone, but most of all it has those damned infectious songs.

Friday on My Mind will restore your faith in the bio-drama and leave you with a smile on your dial.

ABC has left the best until last with its 2 part miniseries on a quintessentially Australian band, The Easybeats.

This production is every bit as good as those surrounding INXS and Peter Allen, and comes at a time when the nation is mourning iconic members of the Young family.

It was a meeting of young immigrant teens at Villawood hostel in 1964 that ignited one of our greatest musical exports, and arguably our finest songwriting team.

Director Matt Saville and writer Christopher Lee cleverly ease us into the world of new arrivals, initially with very little dialogue.

Lanky Dutch teen Harry Vanda (Mackenzie Fearnley) jams with fellow Dutch newcomer Dick Diamonde (Du Toit Bredenkamp) in between rusty washing machines in the hostel, when cocky UK teen Stevie Wright (Christian Byers) insists on singing with them -his energy proving unmistakeable.

Wright brings Scot George Young (William Rush) and together with recruited British drummer Gordon ‘Snowy’ Fleet (Arthur McBain) they set their sights on local gigs under the name The Starfighters.

By the time they reach the Beatle Village in Sydney they have changed their name to The Easybeats and wear matching outfits. Their raw guitar sound wins over frenzied crowds but in between the applause and increasing number of female admirers, there are brawls with jealous males and some frustration that they are destined for better things.

“You’ve got to have a hit song to be a real band or your nowt!” insists Young.

Spotted by manager Mike Vaughan (Alex Williams) they are soon signed by music producer Ted Albert (Ashley Zukerman) to Albert Records.

As the songwriting improves, Albert is meticulous in his techniques, approaching recording like a blueprint business plan. Scenes with him adjusting microphones within inches of amplifiers and fine-tuning acoustics, much to the baffled looks of eager boys, creates an authentic relationship that sustains across the series.

There are wild road tours, more punch-ups, and more riffs born from plectrums meeting strings that seep into psyche (truth be known, they were there all along). Songs including “For My Woman,” “She’s So Fine” and “Wedding Ring” are charting around the country.

Wright’s energy is unleashed with girls at every gig whilst drummer ‘Snowy’ Fleet is missing his young family, Dick Diamonde is lumbered with the guilt of turning his back on religion and Young is obsessed with success and churning out their next big hit. As London looms the five will be pushed and pulled by business, personal and musical demands.

Casting relative unknowns as The Easybeats works to remarkable success here, and makes this convincing for the viewer. Christian Byers nails Stevie Wright, proving a dynamic, wide-eyed & skittish frontman. William Rush is the other stand-out as George Young, tougher, unsatisfied by early success. Look for a glimpse of a primary-aged Angus Young in school uniform, of course.

Ashley Zukerman is focussed and humble as Ted Albert, the brains behind the band, who comes from old money but has a vision for an Australian sound.

Part II, which focusses on UK touring, shows some signs of budget restraints with Sydney locales doubling for London, as the band chases that big hit suggested by the title. But they are minor qualms in what is a true blue yarn -even though their roots can all be found on European passports.

“None of you were were born in Australia. What makes you an Australian band?” asks one British music journo.

“The music mate,” replies Young.

Don’t miss this. Can we have AC/DC next?

Friday On My Mind airs 8:30pm Sunday November 26 and December 3 on ABC.

Friday on My Mind

25. Vespasian70

Vespasian70 Forum Resident

I'm not sure this is the place for this question, but where on CD can you hear the UK second version of 'Falling Off the Edge of the World'? Glenn A. Baker thought it superior to the first NYC version but it's unclear which one it is on all these releases. I assume it is bonus track #22 on the 'Vigil' CD, however that one is identified above as the UK single version. And to further confuse things, on the CD compilation 'Gonna Have a Good Time' the liner notes indicate the version of FOTEOTW included is the UK version, but it's the same as track #3 on 'Vigil'.

Any help would be appreciated!

paulisdead and Mike Griffiths like this.