The Edsel Robert Palmer remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikaal, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

They should probably stick to lp re-issues, from what I've read the Sugar lp's are pretty descent, plan on getting that box, not sure why they are so hit or miss on the stuff

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

That's a shame, I was looking forward to getting Let's Fall in Love Tonight on CD

3. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

So all of them have a hard frequency cutoff at 16 kHz? Could you post an Adobe Audition or Audacity screenshot of the spectrum?

4. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Thanks for the heads up on these. I was thinking of picking some up but now...I'm not keen.
    I think it's mad that more care and attention doesn't goes into these things. I mean, at this point in history the only people who would buy these CDs are folks who actually care about sound quality. I really don't think many casual listeners are queuing up to grab re-issues of RP's albums, the only folks who might spring for these are people who want upgrades to the original Island CDs. So why fudge it? A casual listener would either download the MP3s or buy a compilation.
    Physical media re-issues of classic material at this point really should be aimed more at the audiophile because we're the only buggers who care anymore about CDs.
    I'll just try and grab the remaining Island CDs that I don't already have and stick with them.

mocarob, jupiter8 and shaboo like this.
  5. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I will post a spectrum screenshot tomorrow. I must say that after the experience with Cherry Red and Edsel I hope these re-issue labels all go out of business sooner rather than later. Among my favourite music they have ruined the Colourfield, the Aztec Camera and now Robert Palmer with sloppy work. They just don't deserve to be in business.

mozz, vonwegen and shaboo like this.
  6. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Not the first time Demon UK has been sloppy. Check out the Tabu reissues to hear what I mean. They (Demon) are VERY hit and miss.

7. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Now I am disappointed I ordered them. Guess they get returned.

8. Thanks Andy.

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for the Reviews coming in!! I thought about investing in ordering the RP reissues Remasters, Andrew Gold & the Badfinger 3 albums on 2CD's (forthcoming!)

10. Music Geek

Here is the spectrum of one track (Pride). They all look like this.
    I still don't understand why they had to do it for all tracks on all CDs of all four sets. I could understand if they had trouble finding a particular B-side or a particular remix but doing it indiscriminately for all tracks is criminal.
    Judging from the replies I got from Edsel when I raised the problems with the Aztec Camera re-issues the only explanation I can think of is sheer incompetence.

RP-Pride.jpg

Naughty Chord, vonwegen and shaboo like this.
  11. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

Wow, this sucks :shake:

12. ianhilluk

ianhilluk Forum Resident

This is just staggering, I almost cannot believe. You have to assume monumental incompetence on the part of the label, as the alternative is that this was done knowingly!

13. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'm not sure it's incompetence. I believe it's just an attitude which is commonplace in much of the industry, which is "the public can't tell the difference". We're branded as nitpickers for hearing these faults and pointing them out. I've played things for friends that are remastered horribly and was told I'm crazy, because it's louder and more in your face and they love it. I've burned mp3's to audio CDs for people and apologized for doing so and was told they can't tell the difference anyway, and they couldn't believe that I could.

Fact is, the greater public doesn't hear like we do.

14. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

A house engineer working for a reissue label should care more about the product than the bean counters above him.

15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Complete Bummer.

Pat

16. botley

botley Forum Resident

I can confirm this.

17. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

So are the Culture Factory reissues the "lesser of two evils" then?

18. Music Geek

Fact is the greater public doesn't buy Robert Palmer re-issues on CD. We are their customers. If they can't please us they won't sell to anyone else.
    Besides we are not talking about doing something particularly complicated or expensive. Why they introduced mp3 compression in their CD production process I still don't understand.

vonwegen likes this.
  19. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Sometimes I think that SH Forums should start their own re-issue label. The pool of talent, knowledge, and obsessive attention to detail would make for some stunning re-issues I would think. At least a significant step up from a lot of the tutt released nowadays.
    Quick, someone do a Kickstarter! :winkgrin:

jupiter8, CybrKhatru and vonwegen like this.
  20. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Nearly pre-ordered the Pride/Riptide set so I'm glad I held off for a bit thinking it might be brickwalled. Mastering from low bitrate mp3 is just as bad if not worse. Unbelievable...

21. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Thanks so much for the warning!

Once again, I thank my lucky stars that I discovered this forum in 2006. As much money as it has cost me in must-have audiophile stuff like SH/KG vinyl, it has saved me so much more that would have gone in the pockets of swindlers like this!

22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I was right a month ago I said they just be ripped from a Mp3 player.
    Way to to pay tribute to Robert Palmer:realmad: also this Universals fault as well.

Robert Palmer died 10 years ago this month:(
    I kinda wonder about my Sad Cafe releases I got in 2009 from Edsel?

Demon and Edsel are scam company .

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'm glad I have all the originals

rstamberg and apple-richard like this.
  24. Music Geek

My Amazon UK "reviews" have now comments from people stating that the remasters are fantastic and it doesn't matter if they come from mp3 files or they are silent above 16 KHz. I guess we are the strange ones. :crazy:

25. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Geesh I should check my Ian Mcculloch edsel issues, I have the originals I just wanted them for collection sake
    Uten can you post a link for that program your using? thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.