The Edsel Robert Palmer remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikaal, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I am amused by another reviewer who claimed they've separated the medley on 'Sneakin' Sally...'. If true, that is a colossal **** up.

2. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I visit the Pop Justice forum (UK-based) and those of us in the reissue thread are appreciative of your review, and fans who paid for this are upset to learn about the mp3 files. Likewise, a reviewer on that forum pointed out that one of the bonus tracks on the reissue of Kim Wilde's Close is a vinyl rip (though, the album itself was remastered from masters).

Now I am wondering about my other Edsel reissues. I have a number of them - Rick Astley, Belinda Carlisle, Janis Ian, Thompson Twins, and I am planning to purchase the six upcoming Bananarama reissues.

3. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Agree. I also love your Jackie Lomax avartar. :righton:

art likes this.
  4. Horace Wimp

Horace Wimp The 39,891st Beatle

When I first received mine I played 1 or 2 in the car and they sounded decent there. When I finally got to play them on my main system I noticed something was off, then I found this thread. What a disgrace for Edsel. Already initiated a return via Amazon UK. Posted some comments on Edsel's Facebook page and sent them an email too. Very disappointing.

5. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

If the Mink DeVille and Motels reissues are anything to go by, the Culture Factory reissues are just as bad, but in a different way. They're maximized and bright beyond belief. It seems the original Island discs are the way to go for collecting Robert Palmer albums.

Anyway, thanks for the warning sign. I can hardly believe what I'm reading here. MP3's? Really? Has quality controle, or even the striving for quality, dropped so low that these companies think they can get away with this? I agree with other posters in this thread - the only ones who are interested in (re-)buying those old Robert Palmer titles are people like us, people who care about SQ.
    I was thinking about picking up this series, even though I have most of the Island titles. I don't care too much for Maybe it's live, but would like to add Some people... to my collection. Seems like the one that's offered on Amazon.co.uk for GBP 12,99 is the only way to go for this. And even that one looks a bit shade to me - They don't state it, but I think that it's a so-called 'disc-on-demand', meaning that it's a CD-R. Sigh.... What a sad state of affairs for enjoying music anno 2013...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  6. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I'm thinking of another thing. I can see the point, in the near future, that I will stop collecting CDs completely. My music room is just about filled to the brim with great music, I have circa 95 per cent of what I ever would like to own when it comes to back catalog music and besides, I'm not overly thrilled with most 'new' music. So if I ever decide to buy that stray song or album and enjoy it as a losless WAV-file or something like that, how can I ever be sure that I won't get a losless file from an already lossy MP3? This practice is really messing up the market for audiophile or quality downloads as well. It appears the companies just can't be trusted.

JohnG likes this.
  7. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

http://en.true-audio.com/Analyzer.project

c-eling likes this.
  8. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

It would seem that Edsel are hit and miss, not always awful. Are they reliant on the sources given to them by the record companies they license from?

I've checked out a few of the rarer tracks on the Deacon Blue and Levellers reissues I have from Edsel and they are all sourced from WAV files, no mp3's showing.

I 'think' I checked the Ian McCulloch's when I got them and they were ok too, but that was some time ago.

9. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

So no need to out my Island originals then? :)

10. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

I can hardly believe what I'm reading!? I hope Edsel / Demon will make a statement about these reissues. For now I will avoid all releases by that company.

11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

While it may take some time, I think it is worth it to track down the originals for the Palmer catalog. The only reissues I could possibly be interested in would be audiophile quality SACDs. Seems to me that Analogue Productions should step up.

botley and freemanl like this.
  12. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Amen to that!

13. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I picked up all my Robert Palmer Island original CDs in the last couple of years for $2-$10 on eBay. With a little patience you can find them for very cheap. And NM condition vinyl is readily available and sounds great.

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've got loads of those, too.

15. CDs mastered from mp3s, this is ridiculous. I'll complete my collection with used vinyl from the euro bins that's easy to find over here.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  16. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Clearly frustrated with the situation Val added, ”I really don’t know what else to say. It’s shame that people can’t just be glad that someone has reissued the records, instead of trying to find or invent faults.

In other words, we should simply buy these reissued CDs. So stop complaining and just spend your money as Val sees fit.

18. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

So Val forgot to explain why there is nothing above 16 kHz. I've ripped hundreds of CD's and I've never seen a 16 kHz cutoff.

19. botley

botley Forum Resident

It's a non-denial denial. "I can but assume" in this case means that Val doesn't really know what Universal did with their tapes, nor who transferred them, nor what equipment the transfers passed through, nor to what end formats. All he knows is that their tape library gave Edsel some source CDs — which may not themselves have contained MP3s, but that in no way rules out the possibility of there being MP3 in their lineage.

We have evidence that there was lossy compression in the lineage and it's been independently confirmed... yet here Val is implying that we just made it up! Why we caught it and they did not — that is the question they must ask themselves, not "can customers actually NOT always be right?"

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    Music Geek and shaboo like this.
  20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Anyone think the mods should enhance the thread title to something along the lines:

Edsel Palmer Remasters: MP3 Source Suspected

Naughty Chord likes this.
  21. botley

botley Forum Resident

It's not ALL of the Edsel reissues, mind you, just the latest series. I don't think we need to imply otherwise.

22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

The Thompson Twins needle drops rival my own- minus the compression of course :D

23. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

What he actually wanted to say is: ”I really don’t know what else to say. We don't know and we don't care about the quality of the material that is provided by the labels. It’s shame that people can’t just be glad that someone has reissued the records and simply buy any trash we're dumping on the market, ignoring even the most obvious faults.

Shame on you, Mr. Jennings, for being either deceitful or completely incompetent ...

red corner, Music Geek and Echo like this.
  24. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

You should post your great reaction also as response to that news article of superdeluxeedition.com!

25. It's a shame all tracks are cut off at 16kHz. A dead give away it's sourced from MP3s. Really, really stupid on Edsel's part. My advice would be to return those CDs and spread the word!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.