The elusive Greek "Cabaret" remake...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

I was curious if any rare movie collectors (especially those of you on Cinemageddon) might have a lead on this.....

I'm trying to collect all of the various film versions of "Cabaret." I have the 1972 one, obviously - as well as the original 1950's film "I Am A Camera" and the 1993 British version starring Alan Cumming. There is, however, a fourth version - a Greek-language film from 1978. It evidently circulates in some form, because YouTube has scattered clips of it if one looks hard enough (mainly the segment where their Sally sings 'Mein Herr'). It also seems as though a soundtrack album was released.

Would anyone here have a clue as to how one might track down this apparently quite elusive version??

2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    Don't forget this one, based on Isherwood's memoirs of his time spent in Berlin, according to him it's closer to the truth of what went on there than Cabaret. Look at it as a prequel, but it's excellent as a stand alone and gives more background on characters that would show up in Cabaret.

3. .
    ..and it has Dr.Who! (Matt Smith)

EasterEverywhere and ralphb like this.
  4. TheLazenby

Wow, thanks!! I'll have to check this out!

5. TheLazenby

I received the movie.... this Doctor Who fan won't be sleeping well tonight. o_O

:p

6. TheLazenby

Bumping this thread, because I'm *still* hunting. :-(

Since I originally posted this, more clips have emerged on YouTube - "Money Money", the title song, and a montage of clips from throughout the film, so I know for sure that the entire thing must exist SOMEWHERE. Intriguingly, the new clips show that they literally mimicked the 1972 film as closely as possible in terms of look and set design.

But the question still remains - where can a full-length copy of the Greek "Cabaret" remake be found?

7. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Wow. Was that one authorized?

8. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Poking around, I gather this was a made-for-television movie that ran about 60 minutes long. Is that what you're coming up with as well?

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs (big Cabaret fan)

9. TheLazenby

Yep, that's the one.

10. TheLazenby

I assume so. It has a soundtrack LP that seems easy to find - but I can't find the actual movie!

11. TheLazenby

Actually found this rarity on YouTube recently!!

It's absolutely fascinating - it's not a remake of the Minnelli version, but rather, a cinematic version of the stage story (complete with the stage songs). While there are touches of the 1972 film (the Emcee is obviously patterned after Joel), it's actually based faithfully on the stage version!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.