The Elvis Presley Album by Album thread, revisited

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ClausH, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member Thread Starter

The acetates have never sounded worse. How it got through quality control is beyond me. That's When Your Heartaches Begin is the worst.

JimmyCool and Mike dk like this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Another stellar album from Elvis Presley. It tends to get overlooked a bit in comparison to the RCA debut and its legacy, but this is one fine album with dynamic vocal performances cover to cover. If anything, it may be more cohesive and more polished (in a good way) than the debut. Elvis at his finest.

3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have always thought of this album under its UK title Rock 'N' Roll No. 2. Keep expecting an enterprising Sony to put it out as a vinyl release with that title and artwork.

andrewskyDE and warewolf95 like this.
  4. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

RSD releases of the original UK albums would be pretty cool.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes I would love to see more authentic reissues of UK Elvis vinyl. Is there a Sony authorised vinyl of Elvis available at this point in time?

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. eileen

eileen Forum Resident

7. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I think FTD will do a 2-disc version of "The Sun Sessions." I was right about them doing the "'68 Comeback" :winkgrin: 2-disc FTD... and I'm even more sure about Sun Sessions. Whether it's the be-all-end-all of this material -- who knows. But I'm thinking it'll be the absolutely best sounding of versions of whatever's on it.

I actually prefer the dry version of That's All Right found on A Boy From Tupelo (ABFT). It's more country-sounding... I love it! It certainly has a different feel. I would add that it's a rather important artifact to an Elvis collector -- but agree -- that paying a lot for the ABFT book/box just to get it would be a little over the top.... unless of course one wants the FTD book that comes with it. And by book I mean, voluminous Encyclopedia Britannica.

Important safety tip: Invest in one of those book pillow/rests they use for big important books.

[​IMG]

I agree -- Elvis at Sun is spectacular. Having just spent a few weeks with it, I can easily say (for the few measly bucks it costs) -- GET IT. It's the definitive single disc, grand slam of these, the first, most greatest, most important rock-n-roll music ever recorded. It's crisp and finishes clean. But I also think ABFT is spectacular. I think it's the definitive study of these seminal recordings.

CBackley likes this.
  8. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I feel it's the complete and total opposite! The acetates sound amazingly restored on ABFT.

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm skeptical it will surpass Elvis at Sun, unless some better tape sources are miraculously found. But hopefully it will take a more audiophile approach to the acetates, and perhaps they will even be able to make a deal to use the new Jack Black transfer of the first acetate rather than the 25-year-old transfer that's been used for every CD up to this point.

It seems likely that this set will include all the Sun studio takes, because they do easily fit onto two CDs and there's no reason not to include them all. So yeah, unless someone really wants the ABFT book, or finds a copy really cheap, I'd advise against getting it, because it's likely to become sonically superseded.

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Wow, I'm surprised anyone would think that. It's a classic case of trying to do too much digitally, and removing all the life from the tracks. The digital artifacts during the portion where they try to remove the big scratch on "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" in particular sound hideous. The old "blanket over the speakers" cliche really fits what they did to these tracks.

11. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

When I heard a nice transfer of the RSD 78 My Happiness/Heartaches vinyl release (which I also own), and basically features unrestored audio I was amazed at the natural clarity and "fullness" of the sound. Despite all the obvious surface noise I enjoy listening to this version the most, I can close my eyes and hear the lifelike audio through it.

Unfortunately Sony (and before them BMG) and therefore FTD have only ever had a bad digital transfer made in the late 80s at their disposal. Jack White buying the acetate has been a blessing, because Third Man Records have now issued the freshly transfered audio as above, and also relatively lightly restored as a 7" Sun release.

Sometimes removing every single pop and click really is too much, and robs a recording of a lot of its beauty and charm.

12. GARY GRIFFITHS

GARY GRIFFITHS Well-Known Member

Is this thread going to continue?

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

If FTD do an Elvis The Sun Sessions I hope they don't use the US artwork.

14. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member Thread Starter

Loving You - LPM-1515
    Released: June 20, 1957
    Peak chart position: #1

[​IMG]

Mean Woman Blues
    (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
    Loving You
    Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do!
    Lonesome Cowboy
    Hot Dog
    Party

Blueberry Hill
    True Love
    Don't Leave Me Now
    Have I Told You Lately That I Love You
    I Need You So

Singles
    20/47-6870 - All Shook Up /That's When Your Heartaches Begin
    20/47-7000 - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Loving You

Loving You is the third studio album by Elvis Presley, issued on RCA Victor Records in mono, LPM 1515, in July 1957. Recording sessions took place on January 15, 16, 17, and 18, 1957, at the Paramount Pictures Scoring Stage, and on January 12, 13, 19, and February 23 and 24, 1957, at Radio Recorders in Hollywood. These are the first sessions where Steve Sholes is officially listed as producer. It spent ten weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard Top Pop Albums chart. It was certified Gold on April 9, 1968 by the Recording Industry Association of America.

Content
    The soundtrack includes seven songs composed expressly for the movie Loving You from writers contracted to Elvis Presley Music and Gladys Music, the publishing companies owned by Presley and his manager, Colonel Tom Parker. An eighth song intended for but not appearing in the movie, "Don't Leave Me Now", was included on the album, and a new recording would appear on the soundtrack for his next film, Jailhouse Rock.

The previously released material comprises both sides the single taken from the soundtrack, Presley's number one hit "(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear" backed with the film's title track, "Loving You". Producer Hal B. Wallis liked "Teddy Bear" so much that he insisted it be included in the movie. Songs were added to bring up the running time of the album, including the swing-era favorite "Blueberry Hill", which had been a big hit for Fats Domino in 1956. "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?" had been done previously by the Sons of the Pioneers as well as Bing Crosby with The Andrews Sisters. Cole Porter's "True Love", written for the 1956 musical film High Society also made the album, either to feature a straightforward romantic song, or to give Presley and The Jordanaires an excuse for some close harmony singing. The practice of RCA augmenting soundtrack recordings with extra songs from non-soundtrack studio sessions to bring up the running time of the LP to acceptable lengths would become a commonplace occurrence with Presley soundtracks through the 1960s.

RCA reissued the original 12 track album on compact disc in 1988. The album was reissued in an expanded CD edition on April 15, 1997, appending eight tracks to the original album. All tracks derive from the same sessions, with three alternate takes, the remaining track from the Just For You EP, three single sides including "Tell Me Why" which would wait almost nine years to be released, and a remake of the Sun master "When It Rains, It Really Pours," also released much later on the 1965 LP Elvis for Everyone. On January 11, 2005, Sony BMG reissued the album again, remastered using DSD technology with the six bonus tracks appended in standard fashion. A two-disc set was released on the Follow That Dream collectors label on January 12, 2006, with the bonus tracks and numerous additional takes.

Personnel
    Elvis Presley – vocals, acoustic guitar (playing the back of his guitar on "Teddy Bear" and "True Love")
    Scotty Moore – electric guitar
    Tiny Timbrell – acoustic guitar
    Dudley Brooks – piano
    Gordon Stoker – piano
    Hoyt Hawkins – piano, organ
    Bill Black – double bass
    D.J. Fontana – drums
    The Jordanaires – backing vocals
    George Fields – harmonica

Loving You (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

The budget cd released in 2005 contains 8 bonus tracks. Four songs which were recorded during the same sessions the soundtrack and four Movie versions which differ from the studio masters. The FTD released in 2006 is even more expanded. It focuses heavily on the title song. Disc 2 contains more than 40 takes of the song.

15. My favorite Elvis soundtrack. IMO side 1 is one of the strongest LP sides of all of his non-greatest hits/comp lifetime releases. The range of his vocal styles on this album is stunning.

warewolf95 and johnny q like this.
  16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

is this thread doing all of Elvis's soundtracks? I hope so, a lot of even the worst ones have something to recommend. Loving You set the gold standard, amazing set of songs sung brilliantly

warewolf95 and Rick H. like this.
  17. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Didn't Elvis play piano on Old Shep or was that just on some outtakes?

Enjoying the FTD of Loving You which is a recent addition in my collection.

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I am going to start watching this thread. @ClausH , your posts are awesome. Thank you for the effort.

:cheers:

Rick H. and The Killer like this.
  19. GARY GRIFFITHS

Great songs on this album. Love it

20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

There are some bona fide, magical performances on the Loving You soundtrack. Elvis was at the height of his vocal powers; the versatility, nuanced delivery, and ease in which he delivered it was incredible. An essential album in the Elvis canon.

CBackley, andrewskyDE and Rick H. like this.
  21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

You are a secret agent trying to pry money from my wallet! I have that one and 2 others in my cart. I just bought the 12 disc SRV set though. Gotta wait till July!!

Dave Hoos likes this.
  22. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

A hidden version of the original release dry "That's All Right" has been hidden away on the net for years on the "Steve Sholes" site page linked way above:

ELVIS AT SUN: An Overview of the Audio Restoration »

Go down on the right of the page and look for That's All Right SAMPLE (2), right-click That's All Right, and save that MP3. It's a needledrop of a "repro" vinyl version of an original Sun and the repro was, of course, a needledrop itself. But for all that it sounds reasonably OK, and you can hear what the original dry Sun release sounds like if you don't have A Boy From Tupelo.

I will not link it directly. Read his page. (I hope this does not crash his server!)

Listen also to the mic pops on "POPaPOPa done told me too" at 0:29 in this file. That is the sound of the Sun original pressings. Check any RCA version you have, and the pops were snipped out by tape splices earlier or digitally muted later. Even on EAS and ABFT (I think, I'm not going to check, it's always been the same on RCA issues for 60+ years).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    JimmyCool likes this.
  23. GARY GRIFFITHS

Slightly off topic. I have a long road trip (followed by a week on a cruise ship) with my wife coming up. Obviously I will need elvis in the CD player. From others experience of having wives who don't mind elvis but only know the hits (mainly 50's).
    So do I:
    Make my own compilation from my collection of which I have the complete albums box. If so what songs would you people recommend.
    Or just buy a cheap compilation...

24. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

You definitely should include as much as possible from his early '60's albums and the '69 American Sound sessions.

25. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I completely agree. While the debut deserves it's standing as one of the most important albums in rock 'n' roll history (as well as one of the best debuts, period), I think that the follow-up, Elvis, is every bit as good, if not better. Like you say, a touch more cohesive and, in my opinion, Presley and his band sound more assured. Also, the corresponding singles and B-Sides are fantastic too. Great album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.