The End of the F***ing World - Netflix/Ch4 series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's definitely written and produced as a series though. That's clear from how episodes end, and it was made to be shown on Channel 4 in a half hour slots. So I don't agree with that theory at all.

Deesky likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ugh, I would not have! I'm glad you're not the script writer. :D

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They weren’t claiming that it really was made as a film and then re-edited into a series.... they just thought that it felt more like something that should have been watched uninterrupted.

4. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The soundtrack, by Blur guitarist Graham Coxon, is out on vinyl and digital (no CD release yet).

5. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

We stumbled onto it quite randomly, watched the first episode, thought it was great. Got hooked and binge-watched the rest in one night. Really great style, eclectic. Kind of reminded me vaguely of Harold & Maude in a very pleasant, low-key way. And great music. You know it's a good soundtrack when I perk up and I'm like, "Hey! I know this song!" and then the next song, my wife is like "I love this song!" and then the next one is back to one of my faves, then the next one is something I have no idea what it is but she recognizes, and on from there. It literally was like that.

I can see people's point about movie vs series. There is a lot of discussion nowadays about how after the success of Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, a lot of creative types in the industry (particularly younger writers/directors/film makers coming up) have started pitching their scripts, ideas and concepts as series, instead of as movies, because they are easier to get approved and made. So many places are starved for content, and also because if you get a spark you can always extend it and keep on going, if you hit upon an idea and find success with it. Whereas a clever idea for a movie is sort of a one-shot deal, it either flops or does well, and then you have to make a pitch for a sequel all over again, starting over from scratch, it's a much harder process to get something made from start to finish like that. I'm not sure where I got all this from, it may have even been an interview with Vince Gilligan who was talking about it, but I remember reading a lot about it somewhere.

marmalade166 likes this.
  6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I put it on out of boredom the other day and ended up watching the whole series. Thought the two leads were excellent. I really liked his little asides after certain things happened, it kind of heightened that sense of doom.

Etienne Hanratty and Scope J like this.
  8. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I’m about due a rewatch.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

So much so that there will be a series 2!

This is another mini-series that IMO doesn't need a followup. It ended perfectly and adding another series that goes beyond the original material that S1 was based on, could lead to disaster (see 13 Reasons Why S2). But, I'll certainly give it a shot, as I enjoyed S1 very much.

The End of The F***ing World renewed for series 2

sentinel90125 and marmalade166 like this.
  10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I think that was always in the cards, as the first season ended on a cliffhanger. Of course, ironically, it would only be a cliffhanger if there weren’t a second season because a second season requires Alex’s presence. Not having a second season would leave his fate to the imagination. I’m not familiar with the graphic novel and don’t know if it had a similar ending to the first season finale.

11. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

12. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

13. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Alternate Trailer! :D

14. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Has anyone seen any of this yet?

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Not yet, probably see one episode tonight, though.

16. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Just watched season 2 yesterday and today.

Brave move starting this season off the way they did. Pretty brilliant if ya ask me.

Season 2 adds quite a bit of emotional depth to the characters of James and Alyssa.

Verdict for me: both seasons are a home run!

17. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Just finished season 2. Loved it.
    A very funny drama or a very bleak comedy. Whatever side the coin lands.

18. Just binge watched both seasons over 2 days, best bit of TV I've seen in a long, long time. Loved every second of it and the 2 leads were excellent, captivating stuff.

Scope J, George P and OobuJoobu like this.
  19. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I liked the ending, in the way that it suggested a potential happier future for James and Alyssa. All the way through there were hints that James was becoming a more "normal" person with feelings, and then Alyssa's admission at the end that she needs therapy (Oh boy, does she need some therapy! :D )

Soundhead and George P like this.
  20. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

After binging on Season 2, I’ve just finished re-watching Season 1 and I’m blubbing like a baby. The leads rightly get the plaudits but I’d forgotten how brilliant Gemma Whelan and the bloke who played James’ dad were.

For those of you who enjoyed this, I’d recommend Daisy Haggard’s Back To Life. The characters are a little older but it carries a similar blend of darkness and warmth and, like the first series of EOTFW, it’s filmed in Kent. At times, it’s a bit more sitcommy and a bit less cinematic, but it’s equally bingeworthy.

George P likes this.
  21. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

This was excellent. Thanks for the recomendation.
    At turns, Back To Life is both really funny and painfully affecting.

I didn't find it sitcommy at all.

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just finished S02!

LOVE this show!!!

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.