The Eric Clapton album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Layla is a flat out classic which has been covered to no end so I won't go over all the songs. Duane Allman did help take things to another level, pushing Eric to pure excellence. The MFSL Gold Disc has always been my go to version though the 40TH Anniversary surround disc is also a favorite.

Grant likes this.
  2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

No doubt about it. :pineapple:

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I have the 20th Anniversary edition, the 40th Anniversary too. Only 3 more years til the 50th!! Perhaps all the available live material with that release. ;)

hiterss likes this.
  4. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Normally jam discs are kind of a one listen and put away for me but the jam disc that came with the Layla Sessions is simply incredible. The first three jams when it's just the four of them, Clapton's playing is just stellar. I venture to say it's Clapton at his most inspired, including, yes I dare say Cream. Seriously, pull it out and give a fresh listen. Track three is the best of the three imo. Smokin'

5. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Not sure which version(s) you're talking about here. I haven't EAC'd any of them, but just going by my ears, the version in the 20th anniversary box is the same as the one available separately around that period. I also have a version with a 'Classic album' (book-type) cover, which is still the same version although a (European only) release from the 00's. Was there a remaster in the remastered series ? I only got 461OB from those, HATED it, so didn't buy any others.
    Inspired by this thread, just gave Layla another spin. It just doesn't get old ! Always something to discover with all those layers.

6. Almost Simon

Agreed, I did listen to them again last summer this thread is going to inspire more plays. I was on a 70's John Martyn kick today but feel like pulling out some EC for a play.

I love the sound of that band, truly great. The Clapton/Whitlock partnership, guitar/vocals/keys on top of a stunning rhythm section, and later in the album Duane Allman, they were great enough as a 4 piece, even better with 5.

What are your thoughts on cd3? The alternate masters, jams and outtakes?

The band version of Mean Old World doesn't really work.............."its too fast to sing!" And fund hearing the studio banter, Jim Gordon asking Carl to get his "smoke" out which he has forgotten to bring to the session. Havent listened to that cd in a while but I remember it being a fun listen.

7. Almost Simon

20th Anniversary has some different parts from the sessions added in. The "Whooo!" by Clapton at start of Keep on Growing wasn't part of the original release. That's the most obvious change on the 20th anniversary version. But there are other differences throughout that version.

The Clapton 70's albums, EC 1970 through to Another Ticket 1981 were all remastered/re-released in 94 (I think.) I bought them all. No extra tracks added aside from one dire addition to No Reason To Cry (1976, which we'll come to later.) I didn't like that version, bass too high on Nobody Knows You, some other problems that I didn't care for. Others will be able to describe those better than me. I have kept all of them releases aside from Layla (as have 40th Anniversary and SACD, in addition to 20th Anniversary,) and 461 OB as I have the Deluxe edition and Give Me Strength 74/75 sessions box.

Yes, love Layla, I want to play now but not sure which version. That's when you know you have too many versions of the same album :help:

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The jam disc is great! Anything with brother Duane is worth hearing!:uhhuh:

Almost Simon likes this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Also, Carl Radle's bass is mixed to one side on the original album but is centered in the remix.

10. Mainline461

Disc three is interesting. Obviously they picked the right "Have You Ever Loved A Woman", the two here don't come close to what's on Layla. I enjoy the "Tell The Truth" jams. The rest is OK. I first heard the TtT jam on the History of Eric Clapton album from the early seventies ... my all time favorite Clapton compilation. I understand it was History of Eric Clapton that gave both Layla and the album new life after it's less than stellar original release.

11. Mainline461

This is from the Layla Sessions Guitar tab book:

"The main difference between the two recordings is the digital remix and remastering of all the material on the anniversary edition. Alternate guitar parts and percussion were added in the process. With this in mind, but not forgetting the historic renditions we did the following:

Most of the transcriptions are from the 20th anniversary edition. All the original guitar parts are there, as well as guitar parts that are not included in the original mix. The longer tunes, Layla, Have You Ever Loved A Woman, Tell the Truth, and Key To The Highway we took from the original recording in order to present them in there original classic form."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    hiterss likes this.
  12. Almost Simon

I'm still curious as to why on History of Eric Clapton you hear Eric sing "Tell The Truth" once at the start of the song/jam, yet when it was featured on the 20th Anniversary box the vocal was removed. No reason to remove it as far as I can tell.

rgutter likes this.
  13. moss

moss Forum Resident

Always felt like there was a missing-Whitlock-ingredient from the Clapton solo catalog from this point forward.

14. Mainline461

Perhaps to make it more like a jam (no vocals), although I like the HofEC version the best.

Almost Simon likes this.
  15. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Anyday.

That is all.

(well, of course, that's not all, but I just had to mention that track. Probably my favorite Clapton outside of Badge and Let It Grow.)

Mainline461 and Almost Simon like this.
  16. Almost Simon

Can still be a jam with a vocal but anyway, it is how it is. I too prefer the HofEC version.

17. kollektionist

Must be the 20th anniversary of this box seeing any action, so I revisited for the occasion. After both versions of Have you ever loved a woman I was wondering why I hadn't played this anymore since buying it. When the CD was finished I remembered. I am most definitely not a fan of those 'jam' recordings. Even the master takes of Mean old world sound a bit too informal for my liking and with two master takes one can wonder if it was necessary to include the rehearsal.

Although I agree that they right Have you ever loved a woman was picked for the album, I do like the two alternates very much and as far as I'm concerned either one could have wound up on the album.

18. kollektionist

19. kollektionist

20. Mainline461

I agree as well either of the two HYELAW could have made the album, especially if I never heard the one they chose.

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Maybe whoever did the new mix assumed there would be no vocal and muted the track.

Mainline461 likes this.
  22. highway

highway Forum Resident

Could someone do a quick synopsis of the Layla boxes please with what they think each offers? 20th anniversary jams, 40th anniversary etc. I only own the 20th.
    Thanks

23. Almost Simon

20th includes a remix with some additions from the sessions, the aforementioned "whoo" by Eric at the start of Keep On Growing, some other tunes have slight changes but I wouldn't suggest any major change to the original album.

2nd cd is outtakes, 2 alternate version of Have you ever loved a woman, 2 Tell The Truth jams, Mean Old World done by the whole band, a lengthy studio rehearsal of that tune with studio chatter. the duet version of Mean Old World (Eric/Duane,) a short instrumental of When Things Go Wrong, and alternate version of It's Too Late and an unfinished
    song called Tender Love with no vocals, which isn't stunning, understandably left off the finished release.

3rd cd are jams, 5 of them. 3 with the 4 piece band, 1 with the 5 piece (inc Duane) and the last is a mix of Domino's/Allmans - EC, Duane, Dickey, Bobby. Gregg, Berry and Butch. All instrumental.

Will have to come back to the 40th, its a lot bigger, unless anyone is able to pick up this request as I don't have the box next to me at present.

hiterss and highway like this.
  24. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Layla is one of a handful of songs on the over played stations, I have no problem over hearing....We live in our cars here, and it is always a joy to hear....maybe 10 songs that get over played, I do not mind....After those 10 or so....Ugh.....down hill from there.

25. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

This used to be my all-time favorite album (not sure what it would be now) and was the first CD I ever
    purchased. I didn't have a CD player but would take it to a friends so we could jam on it on his stereo.

hiterss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.