The Eric Clapton album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

2014: The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale
    2015: Slowhand at 70 – Live at the Royal Albert Hall
    2016: Crossroads Revisited: Selections from the Crossroads Guitar Festivals
    2016: I Still Do
    2016: Live in San Diego

DoF likes this.
  2. Almost Simon

The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale (2014)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Producers – Eric Clapton and Simon Climie
    Additional Production on tracks 9 & 14 – Buddy Cannon

All songs written by J.J. Cale except where indicated

1. "Call Me the Breeze" vocals by Eric Clapton 3:07
    2. "Rock and Roll Records" vocals by Clapton & Tom Petty 2:19
    3. "Someday" (Cale, Walt Richmond) vocals by Mark Knopfler 3:48
    4. "Lies" vocals by Clapton & John Mayer 3:07
    5. "Sensitive Kind" vocals by Don White 5:17
    6. "Cajun Moon" vocals by Clapton 2:28
    7. "Magnolia"
    vocals by Mayer 3:42
    8. "I Got the Same Old Blues" vocals by Petty & Clapton 3:03
    9. "Songbird" vocals by Willie Nelson & Clapton 2:56
    10. "Since You Said Goodbye" vocals by Clapton 3:01
    11. "I'll Be There (If You Ever Want Me)" (Ray Price, Rusty Gabbard) vocals by White & Clapton 2:37
    12. "The Old Man and Me" vocals by Petty 2:56
    13. "Train to Nowhere" vocals by Knopfler, White & Clapton 4:51
    14. "Starbound" vocals by Nelson & Derek Trucks 2:03
    15. "Don't Wait" (Cale, Christine Lakeland) vocals by Clapton & Mayer 2:47
    16. "Crying Eyes" vocals by Clapton, Christine Lakeland & Trucks 3:31

Eric Clapton – vocals (tracks 1, 2, 4, 6-11, 13, 15 & 16), guitars (all tracks), dobro (track 11)
    Tom Petty – vocals (tracks 2, 8 & 12)
    Mark Knopfler – guitar (tracks 3 & 13), vocals (tracks 3 & 13)
    John Mayer – guitar (tracks 4, 7 & 15), vocals (tracks 4 & 7)
    Willie Nelson – guitar (tracks 9 & 14), vocals (tracks 9 & 14)
    Don White – guitar (tracks 3, 5 & 13), vocals (tracks 5, 11 & 13)
    Reggie Young – guitar (tracks 2, 6 & 8)
    Derek Trucks – guitar (tracks 14 & 16)
    Albert Lee – guitar (tracks 1 & 11)
    David Lindley – guitar (tracks 9 & 16)
    Don Preston – guitar (tracks 3 & 13)
    Christine Lakeland – guitar (track 3), vocals (track 16)
    Mike Campbell - guitar
    Doyle Bramhall II – guitar (track 10)
    Greg Leisz – pedal steel guitar (tracks 12 & 14)
    Jimmy Markham – harmonica (track 13)
    Mickey Raphael – harmonica (tracks 3, 9 & 14)
    Michelle John – background vocals (tracks 4, 5, 9 & 13)
    Sharon White – background vocals (tracks 4, 5, 9 & 13)
    James Cruce – drums
    Jim Karstein – drums
    Jamie Oldaker – drums
    David Teegarden – drums
    Satnam Ramgotra – tablas
    Simon Climie – Wurlitzer electric piano, Hammond organ, piano, drum programming, percussion, background vocals (track 9)
    Nathan East – bass
    Jim Keltner – drums
    Walt Richmond – Wurlitzer electric piano, Hammond organ, piano

3. Almost Simon

Bought this album upon release, it didn't do too much for me at the time but listened back this week and enjoyed it a lot. Not a fan of Willie Nelson's vocals but that aside a decent album. One I will likely play again soon.

I notice Climie is still around though so always wary but not too evident in the sound to my ears anyway.

4. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Very tasteful record with grade A talent paying tribute to JJ Cale. A small quibble for me is that I would of liked to of seen the players stretch out a bit more than staying too close to the originals. My favorites are Rock And Roll Records, Lies, I Got The Same Old Blues and Train To Nowhere. I own the deluxe box edition which has a cd of JJ Cale doing all the tracks including the original demo of After Midnight.

Almost Simon likes this.
  5. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Not directly related to the theme but I have two Clapton convert programmes. One from the 1974 tour and Crytal Palace 1976. If anyone UK based wants them send me a PM

Almost Simon likes this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. I don't think Willie's vocals work on this release. They are really quite jarring for the most part. That said, Tom Petty's vocals are very good -- I remember when I first heard Petty and EC together on this release thinking that I would not mind an entire album of such a collaboration.

As far as The Breeze tribute album goes, I think it is a bit of a mixed bag. There are some nice performances on it, such as Since You Said Goodbye, Call Me The Breeze, Rock And Roll Records, I Got The Same Old Blues, The Old Man And Me, and Someday. But overall, I find myself wanting to skip over a lot of tracks. Not an album I reach for often.

Almost Simon likes this.
  7. Almost Simon

Now this sounds interesting, deluxe box, will have to google that one. Didn't see that before.

8. Almost Simon

Petty and Clapton together would certainly work for me. I think after Clapton shows I've seen at the Albert Hall the 2nd best ive seen play there was Petty and the Heartbreakers. Awesome band.

9. Almost Simon

10. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I think it's excellent! More coherent thoughts soon...watch this space :)

Almost Simon likes this.
  11. JulesRules

Actually, no. The sound is vastly different, closer to what EC wanted the Escondido to sound like. EC wanted to do another full-on duet album but JJ said he'd only do it if EC wrote the lion's share of the material this time. It didn't materialize and JJ couldn't get too enthusiastic about what EC had in mind.

goodboyfred likes this.
  12. JulesRules

OK, so some thoughts on the last couple of albums...

Just noticed we completely missed the new songs from Clapton Chronicles (or do we discuss those at the end? I think they sort of belong to the Pilgrim era)...

"Blue Eyes Blue": a nice pop ballad with acoustic guitar (following on the heels of "Tears in Heaven", "Change the World" and Pilgrim), perhaps a bit too slick productionwise but good nonetheless. There's a slight bit of falsetto but it's used cleverly.
    "(I) Get Lost": an unfortunate mixture of Unplugged and dance beats! However, there is a different version I once heard on the radio without the annoying electronica backbeat and that was actually quite listenable.

Eric Clapton & J.J. Cale - The Road to Escondido

The album as a whole is not really as good as it could have been (partially "thanks" to Simon Climie's overproduction), but there are some great moments, particularly "Danger" and "Ride the River", the latter even with a long wah-wah EC solo!

I remember the radio stations going crazy about this album. You couldn't escape the thing when it was released. A lot of hype. Looking back I don't think it was entirely justified, but certainly JJ's popularity was helped by the collaboration.

Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood - Live from Madison Square Garden

Overall, a very very good live album. Clapton sounds a bit like he's got a cold in some tracks, and "No Face, No Name, No Number" is awful, but those are the few criticisms I have. The setlist is interesting - Blind Faith tracks are obvious, but three tracks from the Hendrix catalog are a bit more surprising. (Yes, Steve was on the original version of "Voodoo Child" and Eric has covered "Little Wing" on the Dominos album.) Even more surprising is that Steve brings out many Traffic tracks, but not one single 80s hit, whereas Clapton resurrects the often overlooked "Forever Man" from that period.

CLAPTON

Clapton. What more needs to be said? Everybody knows who you're referring to even if you leave off his first name. This is Clapton, 2010, this is everything he's interested in at that point and everything he wants to express. The cover brings "Journeyman" to mind, the album is just as good, if not even better! Eclectic, but it's Clapton's personality that provides the thread running through the album. No matter whether he's doing two ultra-cool JJ Cale compositions/duets, reaching back into the New Orleans roots of jazz or even further back into the deep past of the blues, or simply doing blues and jazz standards and two new pop rock tracks, there is barely any wasted note across the 60 minutes on this CD. My personal favourite is right in the middle of the album - Little Walter's "Can't Hold Out Much Longer" done in that 100% authentic "From the Cradle" Chicago blues fashion. When somebody thinks this album is wonderful, I have to agree. (And thankfully no mention of Simon Climie anywhere!)

Old Sock

It's nice to hear EC pay tribute to Gary Moore, but this version can't compete IMO. There's some OK tracks on this album but overall it doesn't give me the same feeling as CLAPTON does. It just sounds a bit lacklustre to me. Climie strikes again?

Crossroads 2013

I have the Crossroads Blu-Ray (most of them actually) and I think most of it is very good. The only real stinker for me is the painfully boring "Save the Last Dance for Me", snore. Also, EC used to have better backing vocalists...

13. Almost Simon

We can do the odds and sods at the end. Just needs someone to compile a list or rather start a list of items to songs/albums to cover.

When we get to the end of the albums I might take less of an active role, might be more for "all" to post what they feel needs to be discussed. We have a core of contributors so think that would work okay.

kollektionist and JulesRules like this.
  14. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

I heard "Call Me The Breeze" on release and thought it was ok. My opinion hasn't changed. It's tasteful but all those superstar friends don't add much. Ho hum!

15. Almost Simon

2015: Slowhand at 70 – Live at the Royal Albert Hall
    2016: Crossroads Revisited: Selections from the Crossroads Guitar Festivals
    2016: I Still Do
    2016: Live in San Diego

16. Almost Simon

Slowhand at 70 – Live at the Royal Albert Hall (2015)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Released 13 November 2015
    Recorded 21 May 2015
    Producer Audrey Davenport

Disc 1

1. "Somebody's Knockin' on My Door"
    JJ Cale 7:08
    2. "Key to the Highway" Big Bill Broonzy · Charlie Segar 5:06
    3. "Tell the Truth" Eric Clapton · Bobby Whitlock 6:37
    4. "Pretending" Jerry Lynn Williams 5:35
    5. "Hoochie Coochie Man" Willie Dixon 5:25
    6. "You Are So Beautiful" (Featuring Paul Carrack) Billy Preston · Bruce Fisher 4:45
    7. "Can't Find My Way Home" (Featuring Nathan East) Steve Winwood 6:16
    8. "I Shot the Sheriff" Bob Marley 9:30

Disc 2

1. "Driftin' Blues"
    Charles Brown · Johnny Moore · Eddie Williams 6:30
    2. "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" Jimmy Cox 3:32
    3. "Tears in Heaven" Eric Clapton · Will Jennings 5:02
    4. "Layla" Eric Clapton · Jim Gordon 6:57
    5. "Let It Rain" Eric Clapton · Bonnie Bramlett 5:35
    6. "Wonderful Tonight" Eric Clapton 3:55
    7. "Crossroads" Robert Johnson 6:07
    8. "Little Queen of Spades" Robert Johnson 16:51
    9. "Cocaine" JJ Cale 8:51
    10. "High Time We Went" (Featuring Paul Carrack · Andy Fairweather Low) Joe Cocker 5:37

Eric Clapton – electric and acoustic guitar · lead vocals
    Chris Stainton – keyboards
    Paul Carrack – keyboards · Hammond organ · background vocals
    Andy Fairweather Low - guitar · vocals - High Time We Went
    Nathan East – bass guitar · background vocals
    Steve Gadd – drums
    Michelle John – background vocals
    Sharon White – background vocals

17. PacificOceanBlue

I found this album to be surprisingly disappointing. None of it really takes off for me. The set list has some intrigue, but the performance seems watered down with mostly underwhelming arrangements.

18. Almost Simon

Amazon had the vinyl on a cheap pre-release. I decided to hold back and then the next day the price shot up so I missed out and didnt buy it. I would've gone for it but another Clapton live album? Does anyone need another? Apologies but i'm in for the studio albums but enough with the endless live albums.

Your review is enough to put me off buying it now. I will post some clips if they're up on youtube.

19. Almost Simon

20. Almost Simon

21. Almost Simon

Acoustic Layla again?? Now glad I didnt buy this one. :rolleyes:

22. Almost Simon

This I like, good to hear him dig this one out.

23. PacificOceanBlue

As much as I admire Clapton, I wasn't interested in this release at the time of release. I ended up with a gift card from Best Buy a year after this title was released and reluctantly picked it up thinking that it might have some redeeming moments like "One More Car, One More Rider" did, but that clearly was not the case. I would never recommend this to a fellow fan other than for the sake of completing a collection. I don't want it to seem like it is a terrible album. It isn't, far from it. but it also does not really contain anything remarkable.

24. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I like the release. A nice bang for the buck with a DVD and Two CD'S together. Somebody's Knockin is a great way to kick off the show. Really nice soloing throughout the concert, especially for a guy at 70 years old. It's not Wheels Of Fire but I am glad Eric keeps playing a few shows each year. Live or studio, it is always an automatic buy for me.

laf848 and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  25. Almost Simon

I liked Let It Rain so I don't damn it completely but I really have a dislike for the continued roll-out of acoustic Layla. Its not necessary. Either do it electric or leave it out completely from the setlist. Just my preference. Seems a complete waste midway through a show to stop and play it acoustically. I don't mind the acoustic part of the show, think i've suggested previously doing that mid-show is preferable to starting the show that way but not Layla again. Electric is a must for me, fires up the crowd, acoustic was okay for Unplugged but leave it there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.