The Eric Clapton album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Please post the list here when you have something put together. Would love to see it!

Almost Simon likes this.
  2. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  3. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Didnt know about this 2lp remaster. Original sounds fantastic.

DoF and Almost Simon like this.
  4. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

The original is 56:35 but I have no problem with my original vinyl. Interested to hear what the verdict is on a new pressing. Any others being reissued or only Journeyman?

Szeppelin75 and DoF like this.
  5. DoF

From Money And Cigarettes to Journeyman.

Almost Simon likes this.
  6. Almost Simon

Any of the others changing from single vinyl to double? August is a similar length to Journeyman, Behind the Sun 50 minutes. Be interesting to hear reviews.

7. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Eric Clapton - The Cream Of Eric Clapton
    Polydor ‎– P25P 25096
    Track 15 –Eric Clapton After Midnight (Extended Version)Written-By – Cale* 5:04

[​IMG]

btomarra, laf848 and OneStepBeyond like this.
  8. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Behind The Sun was also reissued as a double.

Eric Clapton - Behind The Sun

mtvgeneration and MaxxMaxx4 like this.
  9. DoF

Only Journeyman and Behind the Sun are double

10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I've been listening to a lot of Clapton lately, and I thought I'd chime in with my current opinion of 461 and There's One In Every Crowd.

461 has the bigger reputation, being his comeback album and featuring the big hit I Shot The Sheriff, while There's One In Every Crowd often gets put down as being a weak follow up. But I think it's just as good, maybe even better as a whole. Don't Blame Me is the only weak track on it. Otherwise, I think Eric and company managed to make an album that was even more cohesive and creative. 461 has a looser feel to it at times. Eric and the band definitely tightened up once they went on tour, and I think that had an effect on the quality of There's One In Every Crowd. The outtakes for There's One In Every Crowd are just as good as the rest of the album, and I'd single out I Found A Love as being one of the best songs from the sessions.

It was written by Leon Russell's wife, Mary, and during the "apartment jam" with Clapton and band and the Russell's, she sang it.

Sleeping In The Ground was remixed for the deluxe Blind Faith album. All the outtakes for the Derek and The Dominos unreleased second album were remixed for the deluxe Layla album. Got To Get Better In A Little While of course was also overdubbed as you mentioned!

Ain't That Lovin' You was remixed for Give Me Strength (and maybe for the 461 deluxe?)

I Found A Love, Whatcha Gonna Do (and It Hurts Me Too) were all remixed for Give Me Strength. In fact, Whatcha Gonna Do is actually a bit shorter on Give Me Strength.

11. Almost Simon

Kind of weird as August is longer than Behind the Sun, doesn't really follow logic. That said, happy with my originals, would be interested to hear a view of the new ones though.

12. Almost Simon

I'm a big fan of "There's One In Every Crowd." Very good, quite like Don't Blame Me as well. Better Make It Through Today is my favourite, that is a gem.

Re-It Hurts Me Too, the version on Give Me Strength box is the full length, it was original faded in at the start on the 1988 Crossroads box.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  13. DoF

Eric Clapton - August

14. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I agree. Another thing that helps There's One In Every Crowd is radio didn't take to any of the songs so they weren't played to death like a handful of tracks from 461 … so at this advanced date TOIEC still sounds fresh. I'm a huge fan of Clapton's laid back vibe he had going at this point in his career.

15. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident

Tim 2 likes this.
  16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I didn't know either,i'll look for it as well.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I just happened to be looking for the 2 lp Chris Bellman cut of Journeyman, UPC 093624968849 - which led me to the Amazon / Bull Moose Sept.28th re-release.
    Since the old one is 2010, I guess they thought it was time for a reissue. Surely they'll use Chris' cut ???

18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I have my 89 Journeyman lp bought on release. I like it more than i once did though it is a bit compromised with deliberate commercial cuts (Pretending, Bad Love etc) but Clapton was in a better place than August witness Hard times, running on faith and others but the killer deep cut i missed first time around is the mood showpiece "Old Love"
    Check out the vocals and guitar solo of any live rendition!

19. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Look up old love live '97, best live performance by Clapton since Cream days!

JulesRules and All Down The Line like this.
  20. All Down The Line

What concert is that?

21. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Crossroad Benefit concert. It's actually '99 my bad:

mattazing and All Down The Line like this.
  22. All Down The Line

Apparently during a 21st century Allman Brothers show with Clapton, Eric said: I have not played like that since 1967.
    Anyone know the tracks or what they or on or have an ebay link?
    Also for some top drawer soloing check out the 73' issued Dominoes live release of "Why does love got to be so bad!" N.b. This is not the 94' 2cd Fillmore version.

MySweetFork likes this.
  23. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Can't agree with the "deliberate commercial" there. As far as I'm concerned, it's just the other way round : they became commercially successful because as outstanding tracks on a great album they were released a singles and, as was the hype at the time, in various formats.

Almost Simon likes this.
  24. All Down The Line

The record company gave Eric certain instructions which he admitted and wrote towards. To say Pretending is not commercial is utterly baffling, it is a light weight pop song! Still one of his better solo lp's sir so no reason to cry!

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The Clapton performances were on the Instant Live cds of the 3-19 & 3-20-2009 show at Beacon Theatre Run from the tour. The Beacon runs were usually the highlights of the Allmans later tours and often featured special guests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.