The Eric Clapton album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Ooh, now that sounds right up my street. 16 tracks - 60:20 in length. Although I'd be wary there maybe a super deluxe edition at some point (okay, who am I kidding, but would be nice.)

Quality double vinyl would be very nice. I have no real desire to buy any other of his vinyl reissues as FTC is the last "classic" (well for me anyway,) the rest I can live with on cd unless of course I saw any cheap or any that improved on my current version.

JulesRules and DoF like this.
  2. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

I am certain they’re represses, Journeyman is 140 gr this time though.

3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

It’s been a while since we got solo Clapton super deluxe edition, thinking the last was 2013’s Give Me Strength 1974-75 box set? Hoping there is something in the offing this holiday season and would love that to be deluxe version of From The Cradle with Nothing But The Blues film thrown in.

Outside of solo catalog, it’s the 50th anniversary of Wheels Of Fire this year and so perhaps Universal could reissue that? While studio material is limited due to tapes being destroyed, they could throw in some unreleased complete live shows from 1967-68 to fatten up the content on this one.

Almost Simon likes this.
  4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Please describe the improvement you are stating from original.

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The sort of improvement you get over too much music crammed on one side of an LP. Obviously they are a bit louder cut, more open etc. I didn't bother with any single vinyl reissues as originals I have sound fine.

DoF likes this.
  6. Almost Simon

I was very cynical about an SDE of Wheels of Fire but after hearing the alternate live Spoonful off Life in 12 Bars I'm more confident................either that or delusional :sigh:

In a Clapton mood today, there is Blind Faith thread being responded too today.............so.

Possible Super Deluxe Editions:

Blind Faith - include outtakes (I know mainly jams but there must be alternate versions, cant believe that's the only version of Do What You Like,) also include Live in Hyde Park. A 4cd box. Change the front cover to the photo outside the antiques shop in Barnes, Richmond.

From The Cradle - outtakes plus Nothing but the blues dvd, I'd also suggest 2 live cd's of the final 1993 season at Royal Albert Hall - 7th March 1993 (sublime show, I went, stunning!!)

Wheels of Fire - studio outtakes - not many, also Anyone For Tennis and add the alternate live recordings from this period.

There'll be other potentials I'm sure but these would do me for starters. :agree::cool:

7. All Down The Line

But your original single disc's sound fine?

8. crossroads69

Let’s hope one of these projects take shape for the holidays, I’m sure the label would want to capitalize on any renewed interest in EC’s music spurned by the biopic.

I would be up for Blind Faith deluxe with more outtakes (than jams) and the live show. But even if it was on the agenda, my guess is that they’d do it next year and use the 50th anniversary angle. On same lines, I think we can expect another Layla box in 2020, this time possibly bringing more studio outtakes from Miami and more live material from the Fillmore. A new remix could also be considered for both these albums....

JulesRules and Almost Simon like this.
  9. Almost Simon

I thought that too, earlier, 50th Blind Faith in 2019, would fit nicely.

A 50th Layla? I've got 20th, 40th, might as well complete the set.

JulesRules likes this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thank you for such detail !!! I see they are even using the same UPC # of 093624968849 as the 2010. So, since you state you already have your copy, it's the US that's having to wait until Sept. 28th. Guess I can go ahead and order from Music Direct at the one day 20% code of MDDAY now, knowing it is indeed the Bellman.
    :tiphat:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    DoF likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I suppose "Blind Faith" may receive another reissue at some point, particularly because record labels love to recycle material and reissue noteworthy albums time and time again, but it just seems like there is not enough commercially relevant material left in the archives to justify another reissue of this album.

12. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Clapton, Baker & Winwood should just hit the studio and come up with something new. The Hyde Park concert was lackluster at best. I have a boot of more jams, does anybody need to hear 10 tries at Well All Right? I am a big fan but I think that well is dry.

13. crossroads69

20th gave us new stereo remix, some studio outtakes and jams.

40th gave us new 5.1 remix, the aborted second album and In Concert.

So for 50th, they will likely have to dip into Criteria session outtakes for the released tracks (we heard few snippets on recent film) and possibly issue the complete Fillmore sessions (or what remains on tape). Having owned the 20th and the 40th, I would be up for such a box set.

Almost Simon likes this.
  14. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

My pleasure :targettiphat:

Anyway, today I got this 2018 version of Eric Clapton - Behind The Sun.

It is repress of this 2010 US version of Eric Clapton - Behind The Sun, remastered from the original analog master tapes. Lacquer cut by Chris Bellman. It features two 140g regular weight black vinyl discs. Haven't got a chance to spin it yet.

Myke likes this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I haven't had a single Bellman sound any less than magnificent on my set up. I can't even file away Rio Grande Mud yet, as I can't stop playing it !?!?!?

As a 7os teenager, I have nothing but contempt for 80s music, but Journeyman broke through somehow. 2 cassettes, 1 CD, and finally, the vinyl.

DoF likes this.
  16. Almost Simon

Any other professionally recorded Blind Faith live shows beyond their Hyde Park debut??

17. crossroads69

Speaking of Hyde Park, both Eric and Steve played the venue last week on same evening but surprisingly did not collaborate on any Blind Faith tracks. Steve mentioned the 1969 show during this set before breaking into Had To Cry Today but no guest appearance by Eric.......

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Was Gothenburg, Sweden professionally captured, or is just a soundboard?

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

20. All Down The Line

No idea but good enough to use as it is. I have heard far worse issued with a disclaimer like: It is felt this material is of historic importance that outweighs the lo fi primitive recording technology etc.
    This was my first and so far only BF boot cd (aside from Hyde & Seek) and boy was it a pleasant surprise. Do any US shows sound vaguely comparable or the Euro ones for that matter. I love Hyde Park video and full show on youtube, love EC's guitar tone!

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  21. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

A No Reason To Cry deluxe would be welcome. Slap a few studio outtakes on the album, and add a bonus disc of a concert, like they did previously for Slowhand. Maybe they could finally get the Rolling Stones-backed version of Carnival released. And to date, nothing from the '76 concerts has been released save for one track, a live version of Farther On Up The Road released on a Freddie King album (and later on the Blues album in a different mix and edit).

22. Almost Simon

Yes, always unsure what would or could be released from that era and those sessions due to record company clearance (Rolling Stones, Dylan, Van Morrison,) but you'd hope they'd release as much as they could, not forgetting the amount of substances being consumed. Historical document, recorded prior to The Last Waltz. Always on my wanted list but also not expecting too much because of reasons mentioned.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I personally like both nights.

24. crossroads69

Perhaps in same vein as Give Me Some Strength, they could do box set covering both NRTC and Backless with associated outtakes and live material. Not sure if either album can sell a deluxe box on its own but together, they just might.....they could also do 2CD deluxe editions of each on the side (similar to self titled, Layla, 461,etc.)

Almost Simon likes this.
  25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

That'd just be kinda awkward to leave Slowhand missing in the middle. But I'd still welcome it! We do have two versions of Before You Accuse Me on the Blues album recorded for Backless, and the last two discs of Crossroads 2 are almost entirely devoted to 1978.

Almost Simon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.