The Essential Guide To All The Euro 'Grey' Market Record Companies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Mar 26, 2013.

1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There was the "Remember" label which I have a Harry Belafonte CD of, sourced from the Bear Family box.

melstapler likes this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Naturally, I assumed the purpose of this thread was to discuss content and quality of these releases, not to debate politics or the legality of a specific title in a particular nation.

phillyal1 likes this.
  3. melstapler

Thank you Brad, that helps very much.

4. BradOlson

While I have the Retrospective CD-R of the Merle Travis title, I may eventually order the ASV pressed CD equivalent or if I luckily score the pressed CD version of it, I will buy it. I have downloads of the Retrospective Tex Williams title and the ASV pressed CD of it, the same with the Childrens music title.

5. BradOlson

You're welcome. If you buy a Retrospective Records CD-R release of a title and there is a comparable ASV title, buy that as well.

melstapler likes this.
  6. BradOlson

Here's an example of a Retrospective CD-R release with an ASV equivalent:
    [​IMG]

ASV original pressed CD:
    [​IMG]

Ridin'High likes this.
  7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I've been seeing these 'Four By Four' CDs lately (usually with only one of the artists I'm interested in).

Country Cowboys (Hank Williams)
    [​IMG]

Honky Tonk Angels (Patsy Cline)
    [​IMG]

Teen Idols (Ricky Nelson)
    [​IMG]
    Rock 'n' Roll Legends (Chuck Berry & Little Richard)
    [​IMG]
    Soul Brothers (Clyde McPhatter)
    [​IMG]

Darryl

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Kevin55 and quicksrt like this.
  8. melstapler

I'm curious, what are the best sounding Jasmine titles? I've seen where other forum members noted that certain earlier titles were apparently sourced from MP3, but another member mentioned that the quality of their more recent titles has improved. Brad has provided some excellent suggestions and if anyone else has a list of recommended titles or artists to buy on Jasmine, definitely let us know.

Hotdog likes this.
  9. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Curious about the sound on this...

[​IMG]

2 of my 50s faves.

Darryl

phillyal1 likes this.
  10. BradOlson

The Blowing The Smoke Away comp of Les Paul and Mary Ford on Jasmine is worth it for the introductions from Les and Mary taken from radio transcriptions (from their pressed CD days)

From their current CD-R days, their Four Preps comp has albums not otherwise available on any form of CD.

melstapler and Imagine70 like this.
  11. Jasmine usually does a solid job with their releases. They are definitely one of the premier labels in this category.

goodiesguy, Imagine70 and BradOlson like this.
  12. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

You could add the Jazz Beat label too (if it hasn't already been mentioned/listed).

I have the Teddy Charles Tentet CD on Jazz Beat and have no issues with how it sounds and the digi packaging is top notch.

However only after purchase did I become aware that Jazz Beat is one of the European public-domain labels. They have no access to original sources like mastertapes and are part of the Disconforme family of PD labels (with thanks to J.A.W. for this information).

J.A.W. likes this.
  13. Jackie P

I have heard about 8 Blues CDs issued by a company calling themselves SPV.
    SVP are another one of these European out of copyright companies.
    Their CDs (if you can find them) are cheap. Some have reasonable sound quality, some others sound absolutely crap.
    Buyers beware!

14. Real Gone Music (the UK public domain label, not the American outfit) has a really nice Christmas Albums series in their Eight Classic Albums line. There are four volumes, each one including eight different Christmas albums. Volume One includes albums by Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Conniff, Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, Mario Lanza, Dean Martin, Jo Stafford and Patti Page. It's hard to beat for the price, though better editions of each individual album exist.

The sound quality is very acceptable.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Christmas-Albums-Vol-Various/dp/B016VKBKAG

15. Jackie P

Correction to my recent post!

I have heard about 8 Blues CDs issued by a company calling themselves SPV.
    SPV are another one of these European out of copyright companies.
    Their CDs (if you can find them) are cheap. Some have reasonable sound quality, some others sound absolutely crap.
    Buyers beware!

16. BradOlson

Many people even in the UK do not often come across PD releases in charity shops.

17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Didn't they put out The Pretty Things catalogue between Snapper and Repertoire?

18. Paul99

Paul99 Forum Resident

19. Jackie P

I doubt if anyone can confirm where this company copied/cloned the music from, and on that fact alone I would advise to stay well clear. It probably is not worth gambling on. I would recommend sticking with the genuine original CD editions because there is a very good chance the discs in this box set will sound generally crap.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  20. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Does anyone know how the EU/PD labels in the UK are going to impacted by Brexit? Are UK copyright laws going to change?

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Think Mad Max 2, multiple by 100 and you're not even close. :p

John B Good, Imagine70 and Kevin55 like this.
  22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's probably the least of their concerns right now... Perhaps in the long run, no idea.

Kevin55 likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Really? I would expect the discs to be cloned directly from the ABC mastered Rhino, and Atlantic label releases. In other words they will sound rather spectacular.

Btw, it's easy to confirm these types of details.

So over-all we could not be more in disagreement on what this set is likely to sound like.

Public domain is a bitch (for some) ain't it!

24. Some of the PD labels master from MP3 sources. Others use needledrops. A few simply clone existing CDs.

melstapler and CrazyCatz like this.
  25. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

I always thought a lot those "cheap" Labels found out of Copyright Sessions/performances that Major labels wouldn't use because not a Great sounding Gig/Performance?? used to get a lot of Reggae Albums cheapo Labels(way back in day,birth of CD days) ..idk? Think Europe is capital of Bootlegs and Fakes..

Vintage1976 likes this.