The Essential Guide To All The Euro 'Grey' Market Record Companies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Mar 26, 2013.

1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Not Euro and not a CD company, but I'd love to know the true story behind all of those vinyl reproductions generally attributed to Scorpio Music. About all that is known is they are coming out of New Jersey and are affiliated with a vinyl distributor and/or the Princeton Record Exchange. Scorpio must have extensive access to a pressing plant because there are hundreds of Scorpio titles flooding the market; I see them everywhere that new LPs are sold.

I really believe there is a mob connection, it just doesn't add up that a legit company would be putting out all of these reissues with no licensing information or company contact information printed on the sleeves, they're just scans of the original LP covers. Very mysterious.

phillyal1, quicksrt and seed_drill like this.
  2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There is a current thread on a Coltrane album where someone says that the Scorpio reissues of WEA and RCA material uses flat transfers of the masters sent to them on DAT from the labels. So at some point it was all legit.

Perhaps Scorpio cut some deal when it looked like vinyl was dead to keep pressing these which is still in force?

3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

phillyal1 likes this.
  4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

5. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Will probably pick this up for my wife to hear in the car.

[​IMG]

I don't want to bring the bear family box I have in the car.

Darryl

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Sepia keeps issuing cds I'd like. But I have to cut back.

7. John B Good

Sensible plan. (Not taking Bear on the road)

8. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Doxy does some awful stuff. I took a chance with their Here's Little Richard and the free CD that came with it sounds like it was recorded through a wool blanket.

9. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

My Doxy "Here's Little Richard" LP sounds like it was recorded down a telephone. Maybe they've changed their EQ. :)

What made it double depressing is that I bought it just after stocks of the MoFi LP sold out in my country.

McLover and noyoucmon like this.
  10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

My local HPB doesn't carry as many PD CDs as they used to.
    I guess it depends on what they get from their supplier.

Darryl

11. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

This recent Doxy release is the best PD album I've ever bought. The missing album between Bob Dylan's debut and Feeewheelin', on a well-pressed heavyweight LP. Maybe it's just ripped from the Bootleg Series CDs, but the material is not exactly hi-fi to begin with, it sounds fine on this release, and I really like having this "lost" album to add to my Dylan LP collection:

[​IMG]

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just visited HPB today. In the past I would see many PD CDs, today there was very little.
    I hadn't visited in several months, so I had thought that there would be a bunch of new things in.
    Looked like the same stuff from my last visit. Maybe their sources for PD CDs has dried up.

Darryl

14. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Is it cheaper than I think to press out 180g or even 200g vinyls? These grey market vinyl companies must have some serious money underwriting them.

15. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just picked this up from Amoeba.

Darryl

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Visited HPB today & the only PD CDs they had were the same ones they had 6 monthy ago.
    Does anybody see PD CDs in FYE?

Darryl

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My local FYE had lots of Prism Leisure PD CDs when they were in business.

18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I only have one FYE near me.

Darryl

19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

This is a budget label, but I don't think it's grey market. In fact, they appear to be a domestic label based in Tennessee.

goodiesguy, Ridin'High and Devon like this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'm seeing a Band live show on amazon, as well as a Jackson Browne/Lindley show from the 70's that is due in a few months.

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

phillyal1 likes this.
  22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Prism Leisure did have both legit and PD releases, BTW.

23. MickeyMac

MickeyMac Forum Resident

What about Fantastic Voyage and One Day Records???? Whats the scoop on them??

24. John B Good

I have had two One Day releases. The better known hit songs were usually good quality versions - some of the unknown tracks were terrible. At the price one can't complain, unless you consider it objectionable that the good quality tracks were probably just copied from some more legitimate company's release of the same songs. There were 2 pages of liner notes in the ones I've seen.

25. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I have one Fantastic Voyage release, a blues guitar com called "Screaming and Crying", a 3CD set mainly of 1950s-early 1960s performances. Sound is good (probably sourced from other CDs), and excellent liner notes from Neil Slaven, the UK blues critic . I paid about $12 for it

Ridin'High likes this.