The Everly Brothers, documentary film "Harmonies From Heaven", 2DVD, DVD+Blu-ray, and Digital Format

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by greelywinger, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia Thread Starter

Cannot believe this hasn't been mentioned yet.

[​IMG]

Eagle Rock | The Everly Brothers – Harmonies From Heaven »

The Everly Brothers - Harmonies From Heaven Aug 1, 2016
    This autumn, Eagle Rock Entertainment uncovers the story behind the Everly Brothers, with the 2DVD, DVD+Blu-ray, and Digital Format release of documentary film Harmonies From Heaven on September 9, 2016.

This new Everly Brothers documentary, which was broadcast on BBC4 earlier in the year, contains additional bonus interviews not included in the broadcast version, along with a bonus DVD of previously unreleased live performances recorded for Australian TV in 1968 (Chequers Nightclub) and 1971 “(Hippies With Money”, filmed in a theater for ABC). These never-before-seen performances include incredible live versions of “Bye Bye Love,” “Cathy’s Clown,” “All I Have To Do Is Dream,” “Wake Up Little Susie,” “Bird Dog,” “(Til) I Kissed You,” “So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad),” “Let It Be Me,” and many more!

Harmonies From Heaven tells the story of Phil and Don Everly, focusing on the heyday of their careers in the fifties and sixties. Featuring new interview footage with surviving brother Don and archive interviews with Phil, the film follows their career from child performers on their father’s radio show, through their move to Nashville and their relationship with publishers Acuff-Rose. The DVD specifically delves into their relationship with the songwriting team of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant, who provided many of their early hits, including their first million-seller “Bye Bye Love”.

Harmonies From Heaven also features interviews with those inspired by the Everly Brothers, including Art Garfunkel, Keith Richards, Graham Nash, Dave Edmunds, Tim Rice, Albert Lee, and Waddy Wachtel, and highlights their influence on younger generations of artists with English musician/singer-songwriter Jake Bugg (who punctuates the film with two exclusive acoustic performances of classic Everly Brothers songs). The second disc in the set features two previously unreleased classic live performances from Australian TV: Chequers Nightclub, Sydney from 1968 and “Hippies With Money”, filmed in a theatre for ABC in 1971.

Blending the amazing story of the Everly Brothers with previously unseen performances and fascinating interviews, Harmonies From Heaven is an incredible study of the influence and musical magic behind these famed brothers.

Darryl

cwitt1980, Mal, Chris C and 13 others like this.
  2. greelywinger

Darryl

rd1 likes this.
  3. greelywinger

Darryl

rd1 likes this.
  4. rd1

rd1 Forum Resident

Thanks Darryl for posting this, I was not aware of this documentary at all, will have to snag a copy of it.

I wish Audio Fidelity would release "It's Everly Time" and "A Date with the Everly Brothers" on vinyl and sacd, those two albums have always been my favorites.

5. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

First I have heard of it, too. Thank you for the heads up.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

John B Good likes this.
  8. John B Good

I was always sorry the old documentary Rock and Roll Odyssey never came to DVD. A shortened version of it was issued on a reissue of the 1984 concert DVD.

Kind of confusing what's actually to be one this upcoming release, but I will want to check it out.

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It's buried in the " What's On BBC4 Tonight ? " thread. I asked about this BD over there, last Monday.

10. Chiu.0606

Chiu.0606 Forum Resident

Complete Disc 2 Contents (1968 and 1971 shows)

(DISC TWO)

Live At Chequers Nightclub, Sydney:
    1) Lucille
    2) Walk Right Back
    3) Susie Q
    4) Wake Up Little Susie
    5) Cathy’s Clown
    6) All I Have To Do Is Dream
    7) Bye Bye Love
    8) So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad)
    9) Bowling Green
    10) (Til) I Kissed You
    11) Bird Dog
    12) Let It Be Me
    13) Be-Bop-A-Lula
    14) Kentucky

“Hippies With Money”:
    1) Bowling Green
    2) Wake Up Little Susie
    3) Interview (Phil Everly)
    4) All I Have To Do Is Dream
    5) Medley: Folsom Prison Blues / Mama Tried
    6) Bye Bye Love
    7) Interview (Don Everly)
    8) Let It Be Me

Bonus Features
    Disc One: Additional interviews not included in the main film / Acoustic performances by Jake Bugg: (1) Cathy’s Clown (2) Crying In The Rain

Catalog No. : EREDV1251
    Product Title : Harmonies From Heaven
    Format : 2 DVD Set Music
    Region Code : NTSC Region 0
    Picture Format : Disc 1 – 16:9 / Disc 2 – 4:3
    Audio : Disc 1 – DTS Surround Sound, Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital Stereo / Disc 2 – Mono
    Artist(s) : The Everly Brothers
    Release Date : 2016
    Sub Title : English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese
    Package Weight : 250g
    Publisher : Eagle
    Other Information : Total Running Time: 159 mins approx

John B Good likes this.
  11. Chiu.0606

Chiu.0606 Forum Resident

12. John B Good

13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks Darryl for sharing!

14. Chiu.0606

Chiu.0606 Forum Resident

15. John B Good

Thanks for posting.

Be Blop a Lula? :)

16. These music releases from Eagle Rock usually show up with little fanfare. This one took me by surprise, I don't even remember them solicitating it to reviewers like myself.

17. Chiu.0606

Chiu.0606 Forum Resident

Seems like that Blu-Ray.com review only covers the main HD document (the BD disc) only: it mentions about the content of "Live At Chequers Nightclub Sydney" (DVD), but no futher review/screenshots, and no mention of the “Hippies With Money” part (DVD) at all (?) Guess we have to search for another more complete review from net.

18. John B Good

I'm kind of confused what's on the release, and how Blu ray will differ in content from DVD

19. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

If you have a look at Amazon there's a picture of the back cover with the contents.

Disc 2 gets a bit of a slating on Amazon, saying its poor quality and it's only Bluray on disc 1.

John B Good likes this.
  20. omom

omom Forum Resident

I've got the Blu-Ray version. Haven't had a chance to watch the BD disc yet. Disc 2 is is a DVD. The packaging only lists the 14 song Sydney performance. I just popped disc 2 in my computer and the Menu/Track list only shows Sydney, not the "Hippies With Money" songs. Unless it's an easter egg, it's not here. Bummer.

John B Good and Chiu.0606 like this.
  21. Chiu.0606

Chiu.0606 Forum Resident

Here's a back cover shot of BD version (from amazon.fr) clearly showing it includes "Hippies with Money", but the bottom text has "Made in the EU", wonder if there is a content difference between NA ones with missing "Hippies" (?) (but their NA release media press info announcement had mentioned "Hippies" in it, I'm confusing too):

[​IMG]

John B Good likes this.
  22. omom

omom Forum Resident

My NA version doesn't have the Hippies With Money text on the back cover, nor does it appear on the DVD menu or tracklisting. Boo. I should've ordered the EU version.

23. John B Good

Would it be another of these cases of requiring region-free players?

24. omom

omom Forum Resident

Not sure about the Blu-Ray but above it says the DVD is Region 0.

John B Good likes this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I guess Paul Simon doesn't consider them an influence............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.