The Everly Brothers, documentary film "Harmonies From Heaven", 2DVD, DVD+Blu-ray, and Digital Format

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by greelywinger, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Just watched the DVD of the Sydney performance. Of course it's 1965 BW television quality, but they were in vey good voice.

Don was quite the stand-up comedian, actually. Surprised Phil didn't walk off stage long before 1973, if that's how Don normally carried on.

BTW the bass player was introduced as Terence Slater. Just before the brothers sang Bowling Green. But it wasn't mentioned that he had written it...

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

And I just watched the main disk - the DVD version. A bit disappointed - too much is just jumping from one talking head to another. Experts in singing may find the comments about the brother's harmonies interesting.

Some potentially great clips, but just brief excerpts. In one case a color version of the brothers singing a live Take a Message to Mary, in western outfits, but only 10-15 seconds of it :(

Almost no reference to the post-Beatles era, not even the Reunion.

The bonus material has some interest to guitar experts.

It's really sad that the Rock and Roll Odyssey program has never come to DVD in its complete version.

cwitt1980 and greelywinger like this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

recently found out about this release, that is not available in Australia :(
    I was gonna shell for the blu ray, but after reading the comments, it doesn't seem
    to offer anymore in terms of quality than the dvd. anybody else got this?
    can't believe there is so little mentioned about this release on here.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

This went under the radar for me too. I'll have to see if I can track it down.

5. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Saw it yesterday on the Icelandic National Broadcasting Service. LOVED IT!

budwhite likes this.
  6. Yep, I typically find these retrospective documentaries kind of boring but this is one I found excellent in execution. If you like and enjoy the Everly Brothers, it's definitely worth a look.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

yeah I agree with 'John B Good'. some of it is great, with some recent Don Everly interview segments
    but they are way too short. the main problem with this blu ray, is all the other 'talking heads' giving
    accounts on them and who are of no way connected to the Everly's.
    the stuff that is good is too short and cut, which is a shame, it had the potential to be a wonderful
    product. the bonus stuff is worthwhile, the Australian footage is pretty good.
    I paid a few bucks as I had to get it imported, and it's quite disappointing.
    I'd rather, myself, just to have the direct Everly footage and their interviews all together without
    all the other 'nobodys' chiming in telling their stories.

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia Thread Starter

Currently watching this again.

Darryl

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.