The EVIL DEAD thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Laservampire, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

That's where I'm at. I like all three, but 2 is definitely my favorite for that reason. I already have the older blu; I may double dip when the price is right.

You'd think they'd have timed this during October/Halloween season though!

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Fangoria has a scene in the magazine that doesn't appear in the movie I've seen, of Ed's head being axed in half.

3. Dark_Globe

Dark_Globe New Member

While the original Evil Dead was shot in 4:3, didn't Sam Raimi specifically have 16:9 in mind when he filmed it?

4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I haven't seen The Evil Dead Trilogy in years. I guess it's time for a revisit. I remember seeing "Army of Darkness" during its theatrical release and being completely disappointed in it because it felt more Ray Harryhausen than Sam Raimi at that time. Raimi was more known as a cult horror director back then and to my mind and in the minds of other geeky Fangoria diehards, he had "sold out".

5. Rambler

Rambler Active Member

I remember catching Evil Dead II on late night TV about 10 years ago without knowing anything about the movies. It really blew my teenage mind and made me look for other "cult" horror films. I'm still enjoying the search but I think I'll never have the same experience as then, though some movies came close...

6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Have you seen Peter Jackson's Braindead aka Dead Alive?

7. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I remember seeing this at the theater on my college campus on a double bill with Cemetary Man. I've never laughed so hard in all my life. Fun film!

8. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Staple of my youth!

But wasn't ED shot in 16mm? Not sure how much of an improvement you'll see on BR - I'll have to check that out.

Btw, I'LL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL.

9. Dark_Globe

Dark_Globe New Member

Films that are like or feel like Evil Dead:
    Cemetery Man
    Braindead aka Dead Alive (previously mentioned)
    Evil Ed
    Brain Damage
    Basket Case
    Re-Animator
    The Happiness of the Katakuris

10. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

"Humans make such easy prey"

11. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

Huge fan of these flicks, as well, although I have to say I've only seen AoD once and haven't felt inspired to check it out again. I'm just fine with the 3-DVD deluxe version of ED1 that came out a few years ago and single-disc ED2 "Book of the Dead" edition (which has since pretty much disintegrated), both from Anchor Bay.

12. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing Thread Starter

The Blu Ray of Evil Dead is the best the film has ever looked. Well worth the upgrade!

driverdrummer likes this.
  13. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I've always felt AoD was a very, very weak film and a major letdown after the deliriously amusing (and gory) heights of II. 'The Evil Dead' is an amazing film, although in its day I don't think it was necessary approached as a slapstick OTT romp - the humour is there, certainly, but it also has a vicious streak running through it (hence the censorship issues). The infamous 'tree sequence' is hardly played for laughs...

14. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

If you own AoD already, I recommend seeking out the "Primitive Screwhead Edition" fan-edit, which restores several scenes that I feel greatly improve the movie's humor and "epic" feel.

15. Johnny66

OK, subatomic09. I'll check it out. :righton:

16. Dark_Globe

Dark_Globe New Member

When SyFy air Army Of Darkness, do they still use their own edit that has scenes that have not been release on any format?

Also, I like Army Of Darkness. While it obviously isn't better then the first two, I still think it's a great film full of classic moments.

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I can vouch for every single one of these. Great taste Dark Globe. The Happiness Of The Katakuris was a blast.

18. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

Yes. These scenes can be found incorporated into the previously mentioned fanedit.

19. Rambler

Rambler Active Member

Yes, I loved it.

I'd also add (various quality):
    Phantasm II
    Bad Taste (The Frighteners as well, in a way)
    Dead Snow
    Night of the Creeps
    House
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (it tries to be like ED but fails)
    Dead & Breakfast
    Bubba Ho-Tep
    My Name Is Bruce
    Drag Me to Hell

Then again, almost every horror comedy of the last 20 years has references to Evil Dead, which kinda got annoying to me...

20. Johnny66

It's distressing that 'horror comedy' is a concern of this thread - and there hasn't been one reference to Return of the Living Dead. Along with Re-Animator, I think it was really the film that pushed gross-out comedy to front and centre in 1985, thus driving a shift in the tone of American horror movies at the time. One only has to look at American horror movies released in 1986 to see how much comedy started to routinely mesh with bloody mayhem.

21. Laservampire

Watched most of the R3 Army Of Darkness "Director's Cut" DVD last night, color me VERY impressed.

They seem to have re-constructed the director's cut from three film sources, using the best quality parts for each section. There's some dirt and scratches on the scenes that were only featured in the director's cut (seems to be mastered from a print), but the scenes from the theatrical/international cuts are very clean (with the international cut scenes being slightly more grainy.)

Nowhere near as bad as the SD video sourced directors cut footage on the Anchor Bay DVDs! (A bonus feature on the UK Blu Ray)

If you don't have this DVD, pick it up before it's OOP and expensive!

22. Love all three but my fav is still "Army of Darkness".

23. Laservampire

Anyone picked up the new 25th Anniversary Evil Dead II Blu Ray yet?

The transfer is leaps and bounds ahead of the old Blu Ray, well worth the $10 I spent.

24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Did they really remove the string from the flying eyeball scene for the blu-ray release?

25. Laservampire

Yes, the string is gone but it's a very well done digital edit. The picture quality of the rest of the movie makes up for the few very small 'fixes'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.