The EVIL DEAD thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Laservampire, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

norman_frappe likes this.
  2. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

3. Love the Evil Dead series. The Evil Dead is a slightly comic horror masterpiece, Evil Dead II is sort of overrated IMO, but still an extremely good film, and AOD is genuinely one of the funniest movies of all time. I saw the remake in theaters, and didn't really like it that much, but I watched it again on home video, and thought it was alright.

4. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

The weekend of Aug 23-24 in Chicago:

THE EVIL DEAD MARATHON
    THE EVIL DEAD (1981), EVIL DEAD 2 (1987), and ARMY OF DARKNESS (1992) You’ve almost definitely seen the EVIL DEAD movies before, but we guarantee you’ve never seen them like this. Join us under The Dome at Rosemont Ballpark as we screen the original entire EVIL DEAD trilogy on a giant 30 foot movie screen. This marathon is completely FREE for all to attend; No badges or Wizard World ticket necessary.

jeffgt14 likes this.
  5. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I sure wish I lived in Chicago right now…

6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm cautiously optimistic. "Jack of all Trades" involved both Campbell and Raimi, but I wasn't a huge fan of it. If they can take the makeup effects from "The Walking Dead" and combine it with the humor of "Evil Dead" it could be pretty good.

The 2013 remake was surprisingly entertaining, though I found it hard to watch the screen at several points.

7. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I wish Within the Woods would get a propper release.

8. SonOfAlerik

I saw Return of the Living Dead in its original run. Absolutely love that movie. I wish the workprint would be officially released. All the copies are terrible.

I still have posters that they gave out for free at the theater.

Johnny66 likes this.
  9. SonOfAlerik

I can't think of any decade other than the 80's where I had so much fun at the movies. Maybe it helped being a teenager at the time. I remember during '87 (graduation year) I saw 2 movies every single week. Lots of horror films.

10. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Yes, it was quite something. Even though the decade was plagued with sequel fodder, the sheer amount of horror titles was astonishing. Certainly home video was a driving force, but ironically I'd suggest the ongoing censorship skirmishes with the MPAA and BBFC, etc. united and consolidated the genre audience. Unlike today, where multiplexes regularly screen titles that would never have been granted a rating in the 1980s (without substantial dilution), chasing down such films in unrated form had a certain guerilla aspect to it back then...

11. SonOfAlerik

Another thing that was great about that decade was most theaters still were not big corporate multiplex theaters. So they would sell tickets for R rated films to us no questions asked.

Also at the local mall they would have their Friday and Saturday night late shows where you could see films like Alien, Dawn of the Dead, The Wall, Rocky Horror, Heavy Metal, The Song Remains the Same, etc...

yesstiles likes this.
  12. moops

moops Senior Member

Yeah, I loved the original and didn't like the sequels at all. Don't know why they're so popular really, but then I hate comedy with my horror.

13. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The first one had some extremely black horror moments but it was an odd choice to go with comedy for the next two. Something I've gotten use to & accept but a really strange thing when you think about it. I think those two & Return of the Living Dead may be the only examples of that within this genre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.