'The Exorcist': TV Review

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Larry Mc, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've never seen it. I have stayed away from mainstream TV since the late '80s. Well, really all TV until about 2006.

I really liked Golden Girls and Three's Company.

Nowadays the wife and I have a show going on at all times, or we don't feel complete. Heh.

I'll give Hannibal a shot.

2. Hannibal is nowhere near mainstream tv. In fact I have no idea how it got on NBC and stayed for three seasons. By the time it hit season three it had almost become a Swedish Italian style art film. Stunningly beautiful. One of the best photographed shows I've ever seen on television.

3. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Hannibal after its first season was too much style over substance. IMO.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was ambivalent about Episode two. First of all, I'm getting a little weary of the Spanish actor playing the priest. His limits as an actor are already on display. Now I'm sensing the story "expanding" with a Dr. Who sort of scope about legions returning to earthy discomfort. Also, the soccer game incident is having me sense a further "grab the teen audience" mentality taking place by veering from the traditional, very traditional aspects of demonic possession, religion, etc. toward an "apocalypse" type scenario. Sure it's it'll be bigger and more modern, but will that make it more moving or chilling? Quite the opposite I think, the intimate scale of the original "Exorcist" made it work: This could happen to your child. I'm already feeling this story has been modernized and sanitized to remove the icky aspect of personalized eternal damnation and soul searching and replaced it with scores of "walking undead" demons to be mowed down. Like the end of times, I can sense the time of dumbing down approaching. I am intrigued by the main character's "secret friend," though, that's a very enticing, clever device.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Karnak likes this.
  5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Umm that 'concern' predates Dr Who by about 2000 years.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Who was the lady that gave the Mexican priest the $100k check? Is she the mayor? The mayor's wife? Just some rich donor?

7. noname74

Wasn't she the one 0rganizing and bringing the Pope to town?

8. After three episodes i think this is one of the best shows on now. Great acting all around.

9. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

It's still moving along nicely. Father Tomas did take a back seat during the third episode, but I'm glad we got more Marcus and Casey creepiness during this last ep.

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah. I just didn't know if she was an elected official, married to one, or just a rich person who can get the attention of high up church officials.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The third episode was excellent. It's holding together pretty tightly. This episode drew on ideas from the original movie, and I liked that. The puddle. Great! The invisible friend -- very kinky and weird! Yeah, this episode was quite good! Back to being excited about the show!

12. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

The actor who plays the priest is not Spanish, he's Mexican. I'm Spanish, we are in Europe,right between Portugal and France and only one hour flight from England. There's a huge cultural difference although we share the same languaje, the one we developed as an evolution from Latin (just like French, Italian and Portuguese) which they lernt from us.
    I agree, the Mexican actor playing the priest has limited skills are pretty limited and it shows.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  13. I actually like the Mexican priest. I think he's playing the part perfectly. He is young and tentative in a very new situation and his character is almost out of his league.

Reminds me of the gentile side of Antonio Banderas in Philadelphia.

MikaelaArsenault and Texastoyz like this.
  14. EddieVanHalen

Good example, Antonio Banderas (and we both are from the very same city, Málaga) is a so so to mediocre actor, famous, but overrated.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Apologize for the error. This actor looks so much like a young Antonio Banderas that I just guessed he was Spanish. I'd say this actor and Antonio have about the same acting chops.

16. EddieVanHalen

No problem with the error. I agree with Bandera's and The Exorcist acting skills, pasable to say the least.

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Otherwise, I thought the show as pretty good. This show is populated with look-alikes Anotonio Banderas look-alikes and Lindsay Lohan look alikes. And there's this woman with a petrified face who looks like Geena Davis. I had a hard time understanding her when she said "They're sisters and friends." That botox and surgery really screws up how you speak. But I'd say this show still hasn't jumped the rails. I watched both episodes of "Westworld" and it was frankly, a bit of a snooze compared to The Exorcist. I kept waiting for the wealthy donor woman to hit on the priest.

18. EddieVanHalen

So it wasn't me being Spanish and English not being my mother languaje (I watch EVERYTHING in English since I'm 18 and now I'm 42...), Geena Davis is hard to understand at times.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

No, not you at all. The skin on her face is so taut she's speaking with a clenched jaw through clenched teeth.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  20. No way! The Mexican priest looks like a Hispanic version of Justin Theroux from The Leftovers, making them both the lost children of Rod Serling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. I actually loved Banderas in Evita

22. noname74

Good episode last night...looks like they are about to get to work next week.

Mazzy likes this.
  23. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I feel bad because I just realized the dad on the show is Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Karnak, Walt and Rufus McDufus like this.
  24. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

That's only Edward Norton-lookalike Alan Ruck!

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Episode 4 was very good again! They introduced this "X-files" feel for a bit and it worked. And WHAM! We're at the exorcism! I'm glad they didn't draw out the possession too long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.